SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux/MTU

jk

While I'm glad that we got the sweep, anything less would have been more disgusting than blowing the Saturday Minnesota game, I'm not surprised by the close score.  I think Friday was an abberation on both ends.  I suspect MTU played a tighter game Saturday, and the Sioux may have been a bit lazy too.  I couldn't tell, as the feed was dead and USCHO loaded slower than drying paint.  

I hope the team has a good, hard week in practice and goes into Duluth ready to play tough both nights.  There are no "easy" wins this time of the year and we need every point we can get, and help from other teams to knock off the guys ahead of us.

While I'm glad that we got the sweep, anything less would have been more disgusting than blowing the Saturday Minnesota game, I'm not surprised by the close score.  I think Friday was an abberation on both ends.  I suspect MTU played a tighter game Saturday, and the Sioux may have been a bit lazy too.

MTU, Actually lined up at the blue line and clogged up the neutral zone pretty effectively, it appears that MTU might have had a pep talk from Sertich.

I am satisfied  and I thought it was an ok game to watch, UND didn't make a lot of mistakes and I was satisfied, especially since SCSU only won both games by one goal. It was cool to see UND raise the sticks at center ice after the sweep, we made sure to watch it and enjoy the minute...

I think UND played ok, its hard to come back after a shellacking like the night before. Brandt made some great saves... We were surprised to see Siembeda in the third period. Brandt got the save of the game as he made a big save in the second period, that really helped the Sioux. Love Brandts new mask...

Went to sugars bar after the game on Friday and Sertich sat right behind me at the next table. Man that guy sure has  lost some hair in the last couple of years.

The hit on Leinweber was a big time penalty that went uncalled, feel bad for him because he didn't play too bad, got an assist and then knocked out of the game.

Too bad for Leinweber to get injured.  Seems to me he is picking up his game.  I am no longer afraid to see him in the game as I have been at times in the past.  I still remember when he was a frosh and paired with Roche down at Mariucci I thought he was one of our better D men on the ice that night.  But that was early in the year and O'Connell had really picked up his game.  Commie was real good that year too.

I hope he's not out too long.  Did he play for Schneekloth this weekend or did Schnee play?

I would also like to see Faul getting more time.  I thought he played well in the gopher game.  He won some faceoffs, was aggressive, etc.  Seemed more comfy on the ice than he did in the Sat AA game that I saw him in.

I had the good fortune of attending a few more games this weekend.  

Fuher was out Saturday in favor of Lienweber; I'm not sure if it was an injury or CD.  I didn't see Faul in either game.  Interesting lines:

Bayda, Skarperud, Bochenski

Notermann, Lundbohm, Massen

Spiewak, McMahon, Hale

Fournier, Canady, Palmiscno

Skarperud's goal on Saturday (UND's first) was the prettiest goal I've seen all year, for any team.  Got the puck into the zone before making his move, let his linemates move ahead of him into the zone, cut L to R to the top of the R circle into the void created by his linemates moving through, then squared up to the net and moved straight in for a beautiful near-side wrister.

In the second intermission Friday, I called Saturday a one-goal game, though I was unsure of the winner.

With five minutes to go in the first on Saturday, Palmiscno dropped the puck to Fournier, who had skated right up behind him.  They ended up checking each other in the confusion, and MTU headed the other way to score its first goal.  I didn't see Palmiscno the rest of the night.  Fournier only had a few shifts the rest of the way.  I take it Dean wasn't very happy.  From that point on, MTU played a tighter checking game, really shutting the Sioux down.  I'd say chances were about even the rest of the way.

I was a little down about the way the Saturday game finished until I remembered how difficult it is to fight the effects of human nature on both the winner and loser of a 12-2 game.  Most of the time, a blowout winner will just not be able to put forth a dominating effort the next night, and the loser is looking for redemption.  A telling sign of the difference in the two nights was faceoffs.  I think UND won all of them on Friday, but lost a lot of them on Saturday.  Considering how the season has gone, I'll take the four points and move on.

In Friday's late third-period 5-3 PP, UND lines rolled 4-2-3-1.  I was pleased to not see the first line out there until late in the 5-on-4.

Much credit to MTU for not getting chippy either night.  It was much less chippy than the Gopher series.

Canady had a nice high-energy shift in the third on Saturday that just preceded the winning goal.  It was exactly what the team needed at the time.

After a weekend like that, I could say nice things about every player, because the puck was moving between all of them.

Because of his size and lack of strength and footspeed, I think all a team needs to do to shut down Fournier is put a body on him.  But to fail to do that is pretty risky, because the kid can pass the puck.  A sign of nice vision is when the pass goes not to the player with him, but to the first (or even second) trailer.  That's the guy Fournier hits.  I think he'll contribute nicely.

Is Bochenski the garbage man, or what?!

Apologies for thinking ahead, and I'm not sure who you take out of the lineup, but Connelly, Fylling and Parise are faster than all but a few of the guys who played last weekend, so a not-slow roster will get a speed upgrade next year.

That reminds me:  it seems to be well-held that this year's Sioux don't have the team speed of the past.  I disagree.  Panzer and Lundbohm were the fastest guys around, and you don't replace them, but the third and fourth lines seem to be able to scoot better this year.

I still really like this team.

jk,

Faul played on a line with Palmiscino and Canady last weekend.  I think he wins almost every single faceoff he takes, which is a good sign.  I remember one specific play where he tapped the ice with the blade of his stick, the puck dropped, and he ever-so-calmly and gently tapped it back for Palmiscino to come in and rip it on net.  Goalie held on to the save (don't remember which night or which goalie), resulting in another faceoff.  I really do hope we see more of him.

And good call about Leinweber, Dagies.  I thought he has improved, too.  I remember during the Alaska series cheering for him a few times and thinking to myself, boy, he doesn't suck so bad tonight. ;)  Good for him.  I just hope his injury wasn't too bad.  I watched the replay on tv, and they showed him laying there, then suddenly his body went limp and I think he went unconscious.  It looked scary since Poolman was laying down next to him massaging his neck.  :)  Hope he gets better soon!

Actually, forecheck, Faul did not play in either game.  Fournier played on that line with Palmiscno and Canady.  The complete boxscores at colleghockeystats.com confirm that Faul did not play.  But it sounds like we both liked #9 (Fournier).

Just want to say what a thrill it was to see the Sioux of old playing Friday night in their 12-2 romp over the Huskies.

Someone must have shaved down the pipes framing the net to allow the Sioux to actually hit the net instead of clanging shots off the pipes all night long.  Massen's second goal en route to the hat trick (sliding the puck past the goalie with a defender draped around him and pulling him to the ice) was a testament to the never-say-die work ethic which I hope will continue to inspire this team.   Saturday was less spectacular but the boys played with true grit, having to skate through Tech clutch and grab most of the night.  When Blais makes surprising coaching moves he usually comes away smelling like a rose--pulling Brandt for Siembida to start the third just another example of his savvy.  Even in a ho-hum season, that man can coach!

Big, big weekend coming up as far as the home ice picture goes.  Certainly don't want to jinx it but if the Sioux sweep at Duluth and the planets align, I think we are still alive for a playoff at the Ralph.  This is the last weekend Mankato and Anchorage can rack up points since they close with non-conference series. By my reckoning, Wisconsin, currently in the coveted fifth spot,  is the pivotal team.   Yes, it's an unlikely scenario but in the words of Al Michaels, "Do you believe in miracles? Yes!!"   But, first things first: Let's take the Dogs to obedience school and teach 'em a thing or two.

Yeah, it was in the MN series that I remember seeing Faul, not the Tech series.  He was on the ice when Schneider scored on Saturday night.  I got them mixed up.  Sorry jk! ;)  I just remember him being good at faceoffs and doing pretty well on a line with Canady and Palmiscino.  I did like Fornier against Tech, too.  Heck, I liked 'em all! :)