SiouxSports.com Forum

Any news of BB recruits?

teamsioux

Argus Leader:  Augie's Billeter inks first recruiting class

James Borom, a 5-10 point guard, rounds out the class. He will transfer from Williston State College in North Dakota, where he averaged 17 points and 7.1 assists last season.

Borom ended up at Augie with Billeter.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UND was interested in Borom but did not actively pursue him for 2-3 reasons:

1) He is at most 5'9", probably shorter.

2) We may have a line on a much more talented point guard transfer.

3) With Leikas walking on, we may have more options at the point than earlier thought.

DMB Posted on May 20 2003, 07:34 PM

On the ladies front, I don't have the details but a talented girl picked the Bison over us in the last few days. She visited SU two weekends ago and was to visit UND last weekend. She committed to the Bison before she left Fargo. Not good!

Was this Brandee Gibbs from Orono, MN, via Ohio State? She was a great High School player. She should help keep the Bison in the top four NCC teams for next year. Top four NCC teams could also be top four in the country. Curious to see who the other men's recruits UND has coming in. There will be lots of new faces on NDSU and UND next year.

The 6'9" JC transfer who signed a couple of weeks ago was announced this morning. He is Derrick Franklin. Originally from Chicago, he weighs about 220 and is known for his defense - although he does have some decent offensive skills. He has long arms and can jump out of the gym. When he was up for his visit, during warmups he dunked and hung on the rim -- not with his hands but by the inside of his elbows. He was hurt for the first half of last season which affected his stats.

Obviously, there is the comparison with Jerome. Both about the same size coming out of California without not great stats. But, let's not get our hopes up. He may be a pretty good ballplayer but he isn't a Beasley.

The Herald article says Glas might sign one more player. They actually may sign two if they can get the right guys.

This guy sounds like a very intriguing prospect. In one of his last games of the year, he had 30 pts, 17 boards and 4 blocks. He led his conference in blocked shots, as well. This is the type of big guy that really nobody else in the NCC has been getting--tall AND athletic. We'll see how he turns out, but kudos to the coaching staff for this signing.

With all the new faces, I'm sure it will take awhile for the Sioux to gel. But in terms of pure talent, and in particular across the front line, UND could be as good as anyone in the league. There should really be some stiff competition for playing time. At this point, point guard is the one position I have some questions about, although Jahner probably won't hurt the team playing there. I would look for Doyle and Leikas to both red-shirt unless no juco point guard is signed by August.

I agree - a 6'9" jumping jack is very intriguing. He certainly will help on the defensive end where Rypkema and Lindahl have their challenges.

I think Jahner is a good backup at the point but I don't know how good we will be if he is "the" guy at that position. Hopefully, the guy they are looking at will commit.

Looking at all the new faces along with the returnees, it will be a very interesting year. It appears that there is an awful lot of talent there, good size, better outside shooting, etc. But there are many questions. Regarding better outside shooting, I sure hope Austin gives up on his plans to play football. If he doesn't join the team until late November/early December, that will not be good.

The current roster looks like this:

Bradley 6'4" Jr. G Walkon

Dahl 6'1" Sr. G Walkon

Jahner 6'1" Sr. G

Johnson* 6'6" Jr. G

Austin* 6'3" Jr. G

Doyle* 6'1" Fr. G

Leikas 6'1" Fr. G Walkon

Hoy 6'1" (?) Fr. G Walkon

Lindahl* 6'10" So. F

Stoute* 6'8" Jr. F

Parks* 6'5" Jr. F

Wells 6'9" So. F Walkon

Jacobson* 6'6" So. F

Gutter* 6'8" Fr. F

Franklin* 6'9" Jr. F

Rypkema* 6'11" Jr. C

I'm not sure if Wells is coming back or not. A couple of the guys noted as "Walkons" may or may not be getting a little assistance.

I put an * by those that could be real contributors as early as next year. Quite a few *'s and I did not include Jahner and Leikas.

Rich doesn't plan on making any decisions about redshirting until practice starts next year. I would guess he would like to hold Doyle and Gutter out of competition. It would be a nice surprise if they were so talented that he wouldn't do so.

An interesting year upcoming....

At this point, they are looking at two JC transfers. Both were hoping to go DI but have recently learned that they don't have the grades. This is a similar situation as Myron Allen's but I am sure that we should even dream that we could land someone of his quality again.

One of them could sign this afternoon or it may be six weeks from now.

• 4 weeks later...

Quite a week for UND basketball!!

There was a rumor (well-founded) out of New Orleans that they were going to pick Jerome at No. 18. Of course, that set the expectations quite high and everyone was disappointed when that didn't happen. Then, it appeared that Dallas would take him at No. 29 (last pick of the 1st round - a guaranteed contract). In fact, Dallas called Jerome to apologize after they took Josh Howard. Apparently, there was a lot of a controversy within the Mavericks organization with many feeling that Jerome should have been their pick.

On the recruiting front -- UND is hoping to get a point guard transfer from a DI school in the Midwest. The 6'0" player is trying to decide whether he wants to stay in DI or move to DII. It appears he would be a very good player but definitely not a Myron Allen. He should make a decision by mid-July. If we don't get him, we likely won't bring anyone else in before the start of school.

All of the holdovers are in GF this summer along with Aaron Austin and Jacobson. Jacobson is working hard on the weights and looking good. Austin definitely can shoot - I still hope he gives up on the football idea.

All of the holdovers are in GF this summer along with Aaron Austin and Jacobson.  Jacobson is working hard on the weights and looking good.  Austin definitely can shoot - I still hope he gives up on the football idea.

I'm assuming that Austin will only stick with football if it's clear that he will see considerable playing time in the near future. Since he's already a proven commodity in basketball, I can't believe he would jeopardize that just to be a deep reserve in football. He certainly has the size and athletic ability to be a very good receiver. But it would be something of a surprise if he can leap-frog over a number of receivers already in the program who have been playing football all along, whereas Austin hasn't played in several years and has a rather limited football background.

There is a good chance that UND will get an answer from the point guard they are recruiting as early as tomorrow. Right now it looks quite favorable unless he decides he wants to transfer to another DI college.

He started four games for a pretty mediocre Missouri Valley team this last year, averaged 18 minutes a game, 7.5 points, not a whole lot of assists. He played more as a freshmen and had a few games in the 20's. It appears that the team brought in another really good point guard so this guy lost time at the point and played more of the 2 some of the time. He will have two years of eligibility left. He averaged 30 points his senior year at a Chicago HS so he does have the ability to score. He is listed as 6' in college but was 5'10" in HS (?).

Hopefully, we will get good news tomorrow.

DMB

• 3 weeks later...

It appears the point guard that we had hoped to get has decided to stay in DI. He hasn't committed to anyone so there is still a possiblity that we may get him.

We are now looking at another JC point guard out of Texas (that sound familiar?). Sounds like he a pretty talented also.

• 3 weeks later...

It's pretty impressive that Nobles was good enough to have earned a scholarship to a Big 12 school out of high school, even if it wasn't to one of the stronger programs around. My only question is why he didn't play anywhere last year? Perhaps he didn't have any more juco eligibility but he was still trying to become academically eligible to play dI? If I'm not mistaken, fellow Sioux recruit Keith Parks didn't play last year either, so both will likely have to shake off some rust.

On paper, UND could be pretty loaded if everybody plays up to their potential. I can see a starting lineup of Nobles at the point, Austin and Johnson at the wing, Franklin and Rypkema inside, with Parks, Jacobson, Lindahl, Stoute and probably Jahner also in the rotation. Who knows what the team chemistry will be like, but there appears to be a lot of talent.

I am quite sure the Parks played this last year at Parkland College in IL.

It is good to see that Austin decided not to play football. Having him join the team in December would not have been good.

I will find why Nobles didn't play last year and post what I learn.

I am quite sure the Parks played this last year at Parkland College in IL.

It is good to see that Austin decided not to play football.  Having him join the team in December would not have been good.

I will find why Nobles didn't play last year and post what I learn.

DMB-

This is an excerpt from the Herald article regarding Parks and Stoute:

Source: Herald Staff Report

The UND men's basketball program has added a pair of junior college transfers to its program.Sioux coach Rich Glas on Tuesday announced the signings of Keith Parks and Germel Stoute to letters of intent.Parks is a 6-foot-5, 200-pound wing player from Chicago, Ill. He played two seasons at Parkland College in Champagne, Ill., before sitting out last season for academic reasons. As a sophomore in the 2001-02 season, Parks averaged 22 points, 6 rebounds and 3 assists and was named to

Published on April 30, 2003, Page 02, Grand Forks Herald (ND)

Any red flags coming up for anybody on Caro? He signed with a DI team, was academically ineligible, transferred to a JUCO, sits out a year (most likely for not having the academic standards for a DI school), and now signs with a DII team?(still could not sign with a DI team) I would be a little concerned with the academic integrity of someone with a story like this. :) If he ends up with a 3.2 GPA ala Myron Allen, I'm shouting foul. :)

Any red flags coming up for anybody on Caro? He signed with a DI team, was academically ineligible, transferred to a JUCO, sits out a year (most likely for not having the academic standards for a DI school), and now signs with a DII team?(still could not sign with a DI team)

Grades are not the only reason for an athlete to go thru the JUCO ranks. Playing time and developing skills that they would not have a chance to do sitting on the end of a Divison I bench. Much the same way the USHL is used for Division I hockey.

I added the USHL analogy because you can spend a couple years there to improve your skills. Plus there are several players that have gone to college, not played much, bad grades whatever, then left for the USHL, and came back as Junior's in college. That can happen with JUCO's in basketball and football. They may not have lost eligibility, but a player can spend more time in the USHL, comparable to Jr College time.