SiouxSports.com Forum

Any news of BB recruits?

teamsioux

The fact that we announced the two signees a week or so ago is not good news.  I know that they had hoped to sign at least one other player right away.  As far as I know Ferguson from Lake Region has still not made a decision so he could really help our cause if he chooses to play for the Sioux.  I understand that he may becoming a bit cocky with all the attention he is getting despite the fact that none of the schools courting him are DI (other than SU).

Believe it or not, Hakeem Rollins, the JC player out of Mesa CC who just chose Washington over Minnesota, gave UND some consideration.  He is a dandy - would have been great to latch on to him - although it was never very likely to happen.

DMB-

Do you know whether Borom from Williston State has been offered? He supposedly has very good quickness, which is something our other point guards don't really have. Granted, I haven't seen Doyle play, but I'm sure the staff would like to red-shirt him, anyway.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info DMB.

I also thought it was weird that it took so long to announce the two signings so late and not have any new ones to go with it. I figured they were waiting to announce them with the ones that would sign after the signing date and figured no big deal. It worries me that they have not come up with anyone since...the later you go, especially with that much $$$$ left is not a good sign.

There's no question that this has been a fairly unusual recruiting year in that there weren't any recruits announced in the first day of the late signing period, and that the coaches are apparently going to have to be actively recruiting right up until the end of the signing period. On the bright side, if there is one, USD and Augie haven't signed anyone, and St. Cloud has signed two but neither appears to be a blue-chipper (in my opinion). Kentucky Wesleyan still hasn't signed anyone either, for what it's worth.

I have no doubts that there are still a lot of players out there, be they jucos, division I transfers, or players from some other four-year school looking to transfer.

It actually looks like Mankato and UNO have two of the better recruiting classes in the league so far, which is somewhat surprising to me. At this point, it still looks like SDSU will be the team to beat, but it's wide open after that based upon returnees and recruits signed so far.

So much of how the Sioux do next year is going to depend on the continued development of Rypkema and Lindahl. I feel both have tremendous potential, but they need to fulfill it if UND is going to contend for anything. I certainly hope both spend a lot of time in the weight room this off season!

This is off-topic of BB recruits, but I do wonder if weight training for Lindahl and Rypkema are what their major training emphasis should be, as they are not really built for that much bulk.  I once read an article on the training regimen of Dirk Novitzki of the Dallas Mavericks in Sporting News.  His German trainer insists upon working mainly on agility, then skills repetition, and only then working on weights.  He insisted that American emphasis on weights invariably leads to more injuries and most American players have not reached close to their potential.  I can't help but think of Rypkema's injuries this year. 

I can't find the original article, but here is a similar one with less details:  Unlocking Nowitzki's Potential.

Certainly I'm no athletic trainer, but you can't argue with Nowitzki's results.

It's hard to say, but you may be right. I do think that an off-season of weight training did a lot of good for Jerome Beasley last year. Jerome's body type wasn't exactly the same as Ryp or Lindahl, but he was still fairly thin. I didn't necessarily mean to imply that they needed to add a whole bunch of weight, but adding a little strength would probably help. I just hope that they can both show improvement over the next few years, because they have the raw talent to be very good.

He insisted that American emphasis on weights invariably leads to more injuries and most American players have not reached close to their potential. I

Sorry if this is getting more off-topic :ohmy:

Germans only produce two good things: cars and firearms (okay, also beer :) )

I have heard this topic argued up and down in gyms before, but the statistics only support one side: LINK

Novice weightlifters can remain injury free- injury rate 0.0017 per 100hours compared to basketball (0.03), track and field (0.57), gymnastics (0.044) and football (0.10). (Stone)

A lot of guys (trainers included) think "more is better" when it comes to weighlifting, and this leads to overtraining and increased injuries.

A 6'9" kid is to be visiting this weekend - but was stuck in Mpls this afternoon for some reason. The were hoping that he would get into GF yet tonight and work out with some of the team tomorrow.

Don't know anything else about him.

I must admit that I'm a little surprised by this commitment. I recall reading in the Forum awhile back that he was probably going to be walking on at Wisconsin-Green Bay (where Tyler Koenig is going next year). Leikas had a nice career at North, and I know his goal in attending a prep school this year was to earn a division I scholarship, but I didn't really feel that he was an NCC-caliber point guard coming out of high school. On the other hand, he may have improved a good deal in prep school so hopefully he will pan out. This will make three former Fargo North point guards at UND next year (along with Jade Jahner and Carissa Jahner).

Obviously, everyone on the roster isn't on scholarship but I agree that there will likely be at least a couple of ladies missing next fall.  My best guess:

Elias

Hausauer -  I have no idea what happened with her, had a great frosh season, didn't get much playing time at all this last year.

Kilander

Olimb

It wouldn't be overly surprising to me if Perrizo didn't come back despite being a starter.  Gut feeling - don't have any "inside" info on that!

I heard from a pretty reliable source that three womens players won't be returning next year. Two are probably not much of a surprise, but one is a mild surprise to me, if true. None of those leaving was a starter last year, but one played quite a bit.

It appears that UND will be announcing the signing of the 6'9", 230 lb kid who visited over the weekend. He is from Chicago and will be transferring from a California Community College. Appears to be quite talented.

I will let the press release tell you the rest - not sure when it will be announced. The coaching staff is in the Cities watching Jerome work out for the Wolves.

I heard from a pretty reliable source that three womens players won't be returning next year. Two are probably not much of a surprise, but one is a mild surprise to me, if true. None of those leaving was a starter last year, but one played quite a bit.

are you at liberty to say who they are, because I've already heard Kilander is gone and hausauer as well so who else do you know of. My guess would be Elias and maybe Olimb but I don't know.

What happened with her situation? I thought she came on strong towards the end of the year and would have been heavy in the rotation next year. But even if she is gone I still think that he will get rid of more or they will weed themselves out with the new recruiting class coming in looking ready to contribute immediately.

What happened with her situation?  I thought she came on strong towards the end of the year and would have been heavy in the rotation next year.  But even if she is gone I still think that he will get rid of more or they will weed themselves out with the new recruiting class coming in looking ready to contribute immediately.

I don't know what happened with Britz. I also thought she played relatively well last year, or at least well enough to warrant continuing her basketball career. To the extent there was any question before this, it's now certain that several of this year's recruiting class will need to play right away. Leighton, Demaine, Perrizo, Mahlum and Boese are now the only returning players with any real experience.

If I'm not mistaken, May 15 was the last day of the late signing period during which recruits could sign a letter of intent for next season. Of course, that doesn't mean that players can't still verbally commit for next fall, but it certainly creates some uncertainty about how Rich Glas is going to use the last 1 or 2 scholarships for next year. Additionally, I imagine there's still the possibility of a transfer from a division I school over the summer.

Does anyone know what the deal is with Franklyn Ferguson? I'm assuming at this point that he's not coming to UND, but he apparently didn't sign with anyone else, either. It seems odd that he wouldn't have signed with somebody before the May 15 deadline.

Maybe one can assume Ferguson is staying in DL for his last year of elegibility then?

That's possible, but in Ferguson's situation it doesn't seem to make any sense to stay at Lake Region, or any other juco for that matter. My understanding is that because of NCAA rules, he's not eligible to play division I ball so even if he came back to DL and scored 30 a game next year, it wouldn't change the fact that he's ultimately going to have to play division II if he wants to continue his college career. Since he's already highly sought-after by some strong division II programs, and I believe he's already in his mid-20's, there doesn't seem to be any obvious reason to play another year in DL instead of at UND, NDSU, Kentucky Wesleyan, etc.

An update:

Today is the last day of the spring signing period. However, this only means that any commitments made after today are not binding. Probably not a big deal, if a kid commits this late, he likely won't renege.

UND will likely announce the 6'9" JC kid from California this week. He had an ankle injury early last season so only played about half the season. He came on pretty strong late in the year. He is another kid with raw talent but needs to add some weight and mature as a ball player. He has long arms and can jump out of the gym - he will block a lot of shots.

UND has about a scholarship and a half remaining. They are recruiting a good point guard and another big man. If both become available, they may able to find enough $ to bring them both in. Both are JC ballplayers.

With JC players just now getting their grades, etc., many are learning whether they qualify for DI. Some of the guys who were being recruited by DI now find themselves only eligible for DII. That is the case with both of these prospects.

The Ferguson kid from Devils Lake has not committed yet. UND offer to him is still available but he continues to put a decision. My bet is that he will go to SU.

All of UND's holdovers plus Jacobson and a couple of the JC transfers will be in GF over the summer. That is good news - will give them an opportunity to get used to playing with each other.

Jacobson is working hard to gain strength and weight - and making some progress in doing so.

Bottom line - UND will have a lot of new faces next year. There is alot of raw talent there but who knows how well they will mature and play together. The staff would like to redshirt at least a couple of them but that will not be determined until after practice starts in October.

On the ladies front, I don't have the details but a talented girl picked the Bison over us in the last few days. She visited SU two weekends ago and was to visit UND last weekend. She committed to the Bison before she left Fargo. Not good!