SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs the Gophers round 2 tonight.

Goon

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Kangas is playing...6-2 Sioux, but I was thinking that if Frazee started anyways ;)

Crystal Ball says that could be possible. I feeling good carma and I expect eventually the Sioux will win on Saturday Night.

Also I think the fact that Sioux stole one bodes well. I also expect the Sioux to tighten it up tonight.

Hopefully Kangas will choke! I know he is supposed to be good, but you never know. Everyone has their off nights!

BUT we also have to hope that the Sioux will be on top of their game like last night

However, if the boys went out and partied last night,,it might be a game thats hard to bear..?

Let's hope for the best!!

GO SIOUX!! ;)

Hopefully Kangas will choke! I know he is supposed to be good, but you never know. Everyone has their off nights!

BUT we also have to hope that the Sioux will be on top of their game like last night

However, if the boys went out and partied last night,,it might be a game thats hard to bear..?

GO SIOUX!! ;)

I have seen a lot of people hacking on Frazee but he really didn't play all that bad last night, he did make some good saves last night. Frazee effort was over shadowed by JPL. The thing is, if you don't play good defense the other team is going to score. This is the worst defensive 6 I have seen for the Gophers in some time.

I have seen a lot of people hacking on Frazee but he really didn't play all that bad last night, he did make some good saves last night. Frazee effort was over shadowed by JPL. The thing is, if you don't play good defense the other team is going to score. This is the worst defensive 6 I have seen for the Gophers in some time.

First off, I agree. The Gopher D did not look good all night long. TH said on the radio that Fairchild and Bickel at times looked starstruck, but the Sioux were unable to capitolize on it. The Gopher defense is young, true. The Gopher defense looks very good in the offensive zone, which is par for the course with how Lucia runs the team and recruits. However, they are not very physical and not very responsible in their own end, which means the Siouc can press and take advantage of it.

Second, I agree about Frazee. He only let in one seriously bad goal (Watkins' goal). The rest were products of bad defense. I'm also concerned about him from the aspect of a pro future. I like the Devils now (almost as much as I like the Red Wings) and Frazee, if he stayed all four years, would end up entering at a tme where he could concievably be named the heir apparent to Brodeur. However, this guy can't even dominate against top opponents in NCAA. I had him taking over he #1 job by January his freshman year based upon what I saw in international competitions I had the pleasure to watch. The fact that Sievlen Briggs was able to maintain that title was telling. I'm starting to wonder if Frazee has much of a future at all in hockey. Say what you will about him now at Minnesota, but he does have talent.

GO SIOUX!! ;)

Nice Sig line! ;)

Second, I agree about Frazee. He only let in one seriously bad goal (Watkins' goal). The rest were products of bad defense. I'm also concerned about him from the aspect of a pro future. I like the Devils now (almost as much as I like the Red Wings) and Frazee, if he stayed all four years, would end up entering at a tme where he could concievably be named the heir apparent to Brodeur. However, this guy can't even dominate against top opponents in NCAA. I had him taking over he #1 job by January his freshman year based upon what I saw in international competitions I had the pleasure to watch. The fact that Sievlen Briggs was able to maintain that title was telling.

As a Boston Bruins fan I can only hope that is the goalie in NJ. My prediction is that he will never play for the devils and if he is lucky he will have possibly a cup of tea.

The history of the season is that the Sioux have played one good game a weekend and one, not so good a weekend. I'm considering last night the not so good, as the first two periods, they were lousy! Guess the boys have to come out and sweep the Gophers tonight. Would do wonders for their attitude going into the holiday break!

Lines from Brad's Blog.

UND's lines

16 Ryan Duncan--29 Chris VandeVelde--7 T.J. Oshie

20 Matt Watkins--17 Rylan Kaip--21 Matt Frattin

5 Chay Genoway--19 Evan Trupp--10 Andrew Kozek

22 Brad Malone--11 Darcy Zajac--14 Brad Miller

4 Taylor Chorney--3 Derrick LaPoint

2 Joe Finley--28 Robbie Bina

6 Zach Jones--25 Jake Marto

1 Phil Lamoureux

30 Aaron Walski

Minnesota's lines

13 Ben Gordon--17 Blake Wheeler--26 Jay Barriball

12 Tony Lucia--9 Kyle Okposo--22 Ryan Flynn

11 Mike Hoeffel--7 Patrick White--24 Mike Howe

21 Tom Pohl--25 Drew Fisher--19 Evan Kaufmann

5 Derek Peltier--20 David Fischer

28 Cade Fairchild--4 Stu Bickel

2 Kevin Wehrs--6 R.J. Anderson

33 Alex Kangas

1 Jeff Frazee

Watkins and LaPoint really stood out to me last night as two guys who had really good games. On the 2 on 1, LaPoint did the job a defenseman is supposed to do, by taking care of the other guy and letting Jean-Phillipe focus on the shooter. JPL made an easy glove save.

Hak pre-game comments:

We need to carry the 3rd period through and have a good start. Obviously, our 1st period was sluggish and we were fortunate to work our way out of it. Phil gave us a chance to win, and the 1st goal in the 3rd period really energized us and the building.

The Gophers are a big team. Size wise, probably the biggest team in the league. They proved last night that they're a good hockey team. They skate, shoot, and transition well. Last night, they were playing with speed and we weren't. Sometimes, you go out there and there's no energy. Guys were trying last night, but it just wasn't there.

It seems like there have been some games where we've played well and couldn't win them. Last night, it was kind of the opposite in the first 2 periods.

We don't want to over think things. We just need to go out there and play our game. Our game in the neutral zone last night wasn't there at all. We weren't attacking with numbers, we weren't supporting the puck at all.

We have to click a little better tonight. Obviously, that's the goal, but whatever the game goes. It's a strange game. It's a game of bounces. We want to use our home ice advantage. Last night, especially in the 3rd period was wonderful.

The Gophers first goal last night, I think Phil wanted that one back. The 2nd goal was a good goal. Okposo did a good job. We have to limit their chances and then when we do have to kill penalties, we have to do a good job.

We're moving Chay up to forward because we feel like we need more offensive punch. That's simply the reason for that. We're bringing Jake Marto back in, so hopefully he'll pick up where he left off.

Lucia comments:

Last night kind of typified our season. We can come out and play very well, but we have a hard time scoring goals. There goaltender played very well and gave them a chance to win. He did that last night.

We let up a goal at a critical time, but overall, I was happy with our performance last night. You can play well in hockey and win, but you can't win if you don't play well.

North Dakota's a very good defensive team. I thought they did well on rebounds. We had our chances to jump on them last night but couldn't do it. I doubt we'll get 40 shots again tonight, so we have to take advantage of the opportunities that we do have.

At the end of the first last night, it couldn't have been any better for us. The only problem was we didn't have any goals to show for it.

A lot of pressure on our forwards. The big difference from last year is we don't have the guys on defense who can generate offense.

We have to play as well as we did last night. They're going to come out tougher tonight, and if we don't play at the same level we did last night, we're going to have a very difficult night trying to get a win. You want to go out on Xmas break with a win. We have some guys going off to WJC tournament. Hopefully, when they get back, we can start solidifying some of the line combinations and hopefully we can get on a run for the 2nd half of the season.