SiouxSports.com Forum

Wikis

jimdahl

I've linked to the Sioux recruits page from the hockey front page under People. The recruits page is a good example of where I think the wiki is highly useful. It's information best maintained in a page, instead of having to dig through a message board thread, but where there's an advantage to letting the entire community contribute.

As some of the other pages mature, I hope to be able to similarly integrate them throughout the site. That should also help continue to raise the profile of the wiki as a resource, which is important given that the value of a wiki rises with the number of readers/contributors.

What's the wiki?

This is a web of pages about the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux, created and maintained by readers like you!

Why?

There are a lot of topics that don't lend themselves well to a message board thread, but are more useful in page format. I'll use hockey recruiting as an example.

There's a lot of discussion about recruits in the message board and some news in Herald's blog, which are great for keeping up day-to-day on what the recruits are up to. But if you aren't reading those sources daily and just want to find a list of who is in the incoming class of 2009, that's really hard to extract from a message board thread.

By instead making a wiki page for a topic like that, when a new recruit commits, someone in the community (anyone!) just pops over to the page and updates the list. It's no harder than posting in a thread, but provides a different view of that information.

That's just one example, the wiki is a wide-open space for anyone interested in the Sioux to make any pages they think are useful.

A reason I really like the Wiki is it is easily organized and once the information is there, it is there until someone deliberately moves it.

That's a good way to put it. The message board organizes all information submitted to it in the same two ways: posts are listed in the order they were made, and threads are listed in the order of most recent post.

The wiki allows you to create whatever organization of data is appropriate for the given information. A list of recruits, a table of games, a list of frequently asked questions, a narrative history of the nickel trophy, etc....

jimdahl

Can you make a "Quotes" page under Fighting Sioux football similar to that on the hockey Wiki?

I haven't figured out how to make a new page yet using wiki speak.

One thing I imagined this forum being used for was discussions on layout and so forth. I'll use it for that intended purpose to respond with a question (for anyone who cares to answer):

Would it make sense to pull "Quotes" out from hockey and make it page for any UND athletic quotes (instead of splitting it by sport)?

My inclination is yes, which is why I ask the question.

One thing I imagined this forum being used for was discussions on layout and so forth. I'll use it for that intended purpose to respond with a question (for anyone who cares to answer):

Would it make sense to pull "Quotes" out from hockey and make it page for any UND athletic quotes (instead of splitting it by sport)?

My inclination is yes, which is why I ask the question.

My 1/50 of a dollar...I would say that hockey and football could easily support their own quotes section (all other sports could fall under a general quotes page if needed).

My 1/50 of a dollar...I would say that hockey and football could easily support their own quotes section (all other sports could fall under a general quotes page if needed).

I went ahead and made the link. In addition to being easy to make, they're reasonably easy to move around later if we choose to.

I just wanted to highlight this as a good example of how I think a forum like this can be useful for discussing layout of pages, topic ideas, etc...

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Continuing to pursue and attempt to demonstrate the vision of the wiki, I've moved the first (of hopefully many) of the previously static SiouxSports.com pages over to the wiki.

The old links page will soon be retired in favor of the NCAA Hockey Links wiki page.

This allows anyone to add or remove a link, so should help make it a better directory. To make it more useful, I also removed all the blogs (which are indexed elsewhere) and official sites (which are trivial to discover via Google).

As an aside -- one thing that really struck me while working on this tonight was the big decline in the number of fan sites. Five years ago or so, every major team had at least one, if not multiple, fan sites. Now, dedicated fan sites are actually quite rare. My guess is this a reflection of three things: 1) schools having better sports information on the web, 2) fans gathering on general purpose social networking sites, 3) students who want to build something on the web working on their facebook instead of building a site.

• 2 weeks later...

As part of a makeover (additional details of which I'll explain in a later post), I was able to add "discussion" pages directly into the wikis, similar to Wikipedia.

This is really the ideal format for Wiki discussions, so they stay attached to the pages being discussed. Familiarity, given that it's the way Wikipedia works, is also a nice benefit.

Given that I was able to finally achieve this goal, I'm also now able to close the now-superfluous (and not particularly lively) wiki forum.