SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruiting 2008

star2city

With the ND HS football season over, who has UND been recruiting? Here's some names that have been tossed around as prime ND recruits:

Jared McGowan RB GFC

Karl Effertz TE/WR Century

Josh Horner RB F South

Alex Hooey LB F South

Ian McGurran OL - 6'5" F North

Mitch Haugeberg OL - 6'3" Minot

Jim Green OL - 6'5" Wahpeton

Ben Kringstad DL B Century

Dillan Ostrom WR 6'4" Finley-Sharon

Lance Johansen RB Lakota

Seth Nichols QB 6'5" Dakota Prairie

Any other names?

How about on the Minnesota side?

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anthony Kliniske from Grafton is likely getting some interest. He's probably a better baseball prospect, though. Crookston offensive lineman Andrew Anderson has gotten interest from a lot of schools, including Minnesota, NDSU and UND.

In regards to the Crookston o-lineman, I would like to think we have an inside track there with Eric Schmidt having just come from the Crookston High School team as head coach. He would have been his coach when he was a sophomore. I hadn't heard much about this kid, what are his measurables?

In regards to the Crookston o-lineman, I would like to think we have an inside track there with Eric Schmidt having just come from the Crookston High School team as head coach. He would have been his coach when he was a sophomore. I hadn't heard much about this kid, what are his measurables?

I think he's about 6'8", 280. Probably a project, but obviously has tremendous size.

With the ND HS football season over, who has UND been recruiting? Here's some names that have been tossed around as prime ND recruits:

Jared McGowan RB GFC

Karl Effertz TE/WR Century

Josh Horner RB F South

Alex Hooey LB F South

Ian McGurran OL - 6'5" F North

Mitch Haugeberg OL - 6'3" Minot

Jim Green OL - 6'5" Wahpeton

Ben Kringstad DL B Century

Dillan Ostrom WR 6'4" Finley-Sharon

Lance Johansen RB Lakota

Seth Nichols QB 6'5" Dakota Prairie

Any other names?

How about on the Minnesota side?

Jared Gowan not Mcgowan

Anthony Kliniske from Grafton is likely getting some interest. He's probably a better baseball prospect, though. Crookston offensive lineman Andrew Anderson has gotten interest from a lot of schools, including Minnesota, NDSU and UND.

Scratch Kliniske. He signed with NDSU for baseball yesterday.

Where do you guys think Horner is gunna go? A lot of NDSU fans assume that he wants to be Bison. Does he? If he went to NDSU he wouldn't even have a shot at playing RB. They'd play him at CB and KR. Could we net him? What are the chances that he plays somewhere in Montana or Minnesota instead maybe?

Although (right or wrong), many UND fans were not unhappy with NDSU's loss to SDSU, it may not be the best thing for our recruiting. Obviously, UND goes head-to-head with NDSU for a lot of ND, MN and some WS recruits but we also go up against the Jacks for MN and WS kids quite often. They had a very good season and beating NDSU in the last game of the year will certainly get a lot of recruits' attention. This may make it more difficult for us to win the recruiting battles against the Jacks.

As has been said before, I believe that this year can be potentially the toughest year for recruiting. Simply because this group of guys have ZERO chance of seeing post season. I am happy that there will be more scholarship $$$, but I think that other coaches will use the postseason as a leveraging tool on recruits (rightfully so...). That being said, Lennon is a coach that guys love to play for, so I am not too worried. :D

Coach Lennon with a full set of scholarships scares the hell out of both of these programs. Most of the kids we've lost the last few seasons we've lost on dollars alone and we won't lose many of these when we can match their offers. Lennon is just a coach that kids want to play for, Bohl comes of as a guy looking to get out of Fargo and the rumors of him leaving won't help that reputation much, and Coach Stig's is infamous in coaching circles for his inability to recruit. I expect another excellent class this season (though we may have to travel a little further to get kids this year) and for each recruiting class to only get better. The Ag college is making a big mistake by not getting us on the schedule this year, (just like we made a mistake in not playing them), their best chance of beating us is this next season and if the series isn't resumed for few recruiting classes they won't even touch us.

As has been said before, I believe that this year can be potentially the toughest year for recruiting. Simply because this group of guys have ZERO chance of seeing post season.

If they red-shirt in the 2008 season, UND will be playoff eligible for their senior year.

IMO, if UND was going to have a "down" recruiting year, last year was going to be it. It turned out to be quite the contrary, as by most accounts that class appears to be very good. There will be some kids--particularly in ND and northwest Minnesota--that we'll lose to NDSU for a few more years due to the post season issue and the fact that they've gotten some very positive publicity in recent years due to some nice wins. But with Lennon in charge and an additional 21 scholarships (I think) for this recruiting year, I'm not worried in the least.

mksioux and 92 are on it.

Year 1: 2007-08

Year 2: 2008-09

Year 3: 2009-10

Year 4: 2010-11

Year 5: 2011-12

Playoff eligible: Fall 2012 (2012-13 season).

The guys who came in this (2007) fall will only see DII playoffs (this year).

Guys who come in in 2008, if they redshirt, have a shot as seniors in fall 2012.

Although (right or wrong), many UND fans were not unhappy with NDSU's loss to SDSU, it may not be the best thing for our recruiting. Obviously, UND goes head-to-head with NDSU for a lot of ND, MN and some WS recruits but we also go up against the Jacks for MN and WS kids quite often. They had a very good season and beating NDSU in the last game of the year will certainly get a lot of recruits' attention. This may make it more difficult for us to win the recruiting battles against the Jacks.

Unless SDSU upgrades their facilities it would be a no brainer for a kid to choose UND over them provided scholarship offers were the same. Most livestock have better conditions than SDSU football players.

I agree with all the comments since I posted this one (above). My only point was that this win will likely assist SDSU a great deal. I certainly agree that our having much more $ to work with will enable coach Lennon and the staff to get a lot of kids who would have preferred to attend UND but went elsewhere because of the limited scholarship amount we were able to offer.

Far and away, last year's class will be the toughest of the transition recruiting years. That being said, they signed a VERY GOOD class last year. Recruiting will only get easier as the years go on. Lennon and his staff with a full 63 for next year will be flat-out scary on the recruiting trail this winter. Sounds like a full 63 for next season is a done deal. If redshirted, which I assume most will for this years signing class, they will be eligible for the playoffs their senior year. It' all downhill after that. I can't wait to see the results in February. :D In the past we have lost recruits to the xdsu's because of the almighty dollar. Throw that factor out the window, and those kids are coming to UND. Not all of them, but a lot of them. Can't wait.

Unless SDSU upgrades their facilities it would be a no brainer for a kid to choose UND over them provided scholarship offers were the same. Most livestock have better conditions than SDSU football players.

No smack intended but when I went down to USD for the game, I stopped at Brookings because I hadn't seen the campus or town. The first time I opened my door, a very foul stench hit me like a bag of bricks. And thats saying something for someone who grew up on a farm. As for the campus, my friends thought it looked like a bunch of army barracks. I don't think any reasonable player would choose SDSU over UND when the stakes are even.

No smack intended but when I went down to USD for the game, I stopped at Brookings because I hadn't seen the campus or town. The first time I opened my door, a very foul stench hit me like a bag of bricks. And thats saying something for someone who grew up on a farm. As for the campus, my friends thought it looked like a bunch of army barracks. I don't think any reasonable player would choose SDSU over UND when the stakes are even.

SDSU is spending 15 million to overhaul the football stadium and it's going to be pretty nice from what I read. THey are building an athletic building overlooking the field too so it should feel more enclosed. Their outdoor stadium was decent before but I'll take it any day of the week over the Alerus Center after they overhaul it. I enjoyed outdoor football it had a great atmosphere. The Alerus Center aint too shabby.The Dakota Dome is a joke.