SiouxSports.com Forum

expected signings

4siouxnow

Per Roebuck, in comments today, UND is scouring the region for 3 Juco's for next year to fill in the scholarship/player void in this year's sophomore class. Hoping to find a point guard, someone to play low post and an "athlete," hopefully an outside shooter. Also according to Gene, Sharakova (sp?) "meets NCAA requirements but not UND requirements" to play -- sounds like a grade-point or credits issue. Not sure what her future is, but I would presume that if she's still with the team now there's hope she could play next year.

I certainly don't follow area juco basketball closely, but I know NDSCS has a sophomore guard averaging about 20 ppg. I believe her name is Megan Groen.

While listening to the coach's show last night. I heard Brewster take a call, the question was whether Sharkova was going to play this year. He said that she had been ruled inelgible and would not, and on a follow up question of if she would play next year, he said that didn't look like it. So I guess that pretty much answers that question, about whether she'll be a future contributor. That's tough, but it goes to show you this staff has a lot of work to do in regards to getting a lot of pieces for next year.

While listening to the coach's show last night. I heard Brewster take a call, the question was whether Sharkova was going to play this year. He said that she had been ruled inelgible and would not, and on a follow up question of if she would play next year, he said that didn't look like it. So I guess that pretty much answers that question, about whether she'll be a future contributor. That's tough, but it goes to show you this staff has a lot of work to do in regards to getting a lot of pieces for next year.

Looks like the rebuilding project just got a little bigger. So next year we'll have sr.'s Youngblut and Lof, and...a lot of question marks: Privatsky, who's coming off two serious knee injuries, four sophomores who each have shooting percentages in the 20's at present, and who average between 1 and 3 ppg each, plus a bunch of true freshmen and (probably) two or three juco transfers. And it's been a long time since either a true freshman or juco transfer has made much of an impact. So in other words, things aren't looking too promising.

Looks like the rebuilding project just got a little bigger. So next year we'll have sr.'s Youngblut and Lof, and...a lot of question marks: Privatsky, who's coming off two serious knee injuries, four sophomores who each have shooting percentages in the 20's at present, and who average between 1 and 3 ppg each, plus a bunch of true freshmen and (probably) two or three juco transfers. And it's been a long time since either a true freshman or juco transfer has made much of an impact. So in other words, things aren't looking too promising.

I agree about this year being a project in terms of rebuilding. However this is not new information about rebuilding, and since Roebuck did talk sharkova not playing at a booster luncheon, with that being said recruiting will be even more crucial. Why or How did this void in the classes come to be. And with that, a big void to overcome and I wish them luck, but it does not look too good if they don't get some players, hopefully they don't do what they did in the past again.

I believe these are the five most recent recruiting classes which have at least one player still on the team:

2004-05

Kimbrough (graduated)

Ledger

Bagaason

2005-06

Bergan

Seay

Youngblut

2006-07

K. Gillett (left team)

Lof

LaFrance (injured--no longer on team)

Brekke (juco transfer) (left team)

2007-08

Privatsky (injured)

J. Gillett (left team)

Thingstad (left team--may have been walk-on)

2008-09

Sharkova (juco transfer) (ineligible--may never play)

Houdek (injured)

Kuehl (injured)

Smart

Rothfusz

Obviously the last three recruiting classes, for a variety of reasons, have done very little so far. Lof is the only player who could be considered a meaningful contributor at this point. I'm not interested in placing blame for the way things have worked out, but clearly things need to start turning around quickly in terms of recruiting if we want to avoid being at the level of most of the rest of the Great West, which as we've seen is pretty terrible.

One thing I've noticed about the past few recruiting classes is that there hasn't been an abundance of kids who were really big scorers at the high school level. Smart was, as she averaged 25 ppg as a sr., and scored nearly 3000 career points. But most of the rest have scored between 10 and 14 ppg as seniors in high school, or perhaps slightly more, but in their state's smallest class, e.g. ND class B. Since obviously high school numbers generally go down rather than up once the player gets to college, it makes a person wonder exactly who is expected to develop into a double-figure scorer in the next few years?

One thing I've noticed about the past few recruiting classes is that there hasn't been an abundance of kids who were really big scorers at the high school level. Smart was, as she averaged 25 ppg as a sr., and scored nearly 3000 career points. But most of the rest have scored between 10 and 14 ppg as seniors in high school, or perhaps slightly more, but in their state's smallest class, e.g. ND class B. Since obviously high school numbers generally go down rather than up once the player gets to college, it makes a person wonder exactly who is expected to develop into a double-figure scorer in the next few years?

Isn't Caitlyn Farroh putting up monster numbers this year?

Isn't Caitlyn Farroh putting up monster numbers this year?

She is--23.5 ppg and 19 rpg. Haven't heard anything about whether UND is showing interest, however (she's a jr.). Farroh's a bit on the small side for a post at the college level, but I'd much rather have a 6'0" or 6'1" center who can really score than a 6'2" or 6'3" player who is a project.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sioux recruit Josie Dillon of Benilde-St. Margarets played a big part in her team winning the state championships in Minnesota last night. With her team down 4 in the last minute she hit a 3 and a 2 to propel her team to the championship. She is only a sophmore and will be a terrific player for the Sioux.

• 1 month later...

I'm assuming this was who was in town. Welcome ladies. Very interesting. I don't know what to say, it's different to me, having juco's come into the program,(I'm not sayin its good or bad...just different---definitely needed for these 2 years though), and it's a whole new area that I never expected to get players from.

Here is the link to fightingsioux dot com

http://www.fightingsioux.com/ViewArticle.d...TCLID=204947327

Does anyone know how we landed these gals? What is the connection? I would assume the ladies wanted to go a school that was able to take both of them. Does anyone know how good these gals are? Is this a major recruiting situation or not.

Those are some similar questions I had as well. But there is no doubt we were going to need someone who is going to be a primary ball handler next year. I would have liked it to be Privatsky (maybe it still will be?), but with all the injuries I'm not sure where she is at. The future is Burck, especially with her size and athleticism, but I'm hoping she is just given time to develop, and in 2 years she can develop into a new type of point guard here at UND. From the statements its sounds like they have speed, which is good, but how that translates into D1 basketball ability is anyones guess. How we got on recruiting these ladies is anyones guess but consider me surprised that we were able to get players out of Arizona for basketball.

I have no idea in this situation, but there has been an increase lately in the numbers of UND alums and/or student athletes that are now in the Phoenix area that are teaching and coaching. Maybe their high school coach has UND ties??

Those are some similar questions I had as well. But there is no doubt we were going to need someone who is going to be a primary ball handler next year. I would have liked it to be Privatsky (maybe it still will be?), but with all the injuries I'm not sure where she is at. The future is Burck, especially with her size and athleticism, but I'm hoping she is just given time to develop, and in 2 years she can develop into a new type of point guard here at UND. From the statements its sounds like they have speed, which is good, but how that translates into D1 basketball ability is anyones guess. How we got on recruiting these ladies is anyones guess but consider me surprised that we were able to get players out of Arizona for basketball.

There isn't anything special about Arizona Juco basketball. Lot's of juco teams from North Dakota have gone to Arizona and competed very well. I'm sure they aren't anything better or worse than the kids who play at Lake Region, Williston, or even Wahp. Science for that matter.

There isn't anything special about Arizona Juco basketball. Lot's of juco teams from North Dakota have gone to Arizona and competed very well. I'm sure they aren't anything better or worse than the kids who play at Lake Region, Williston, or even Wahp. Science for that matter.

They played 2 teams from North Dakota last season and beat both.

When you said that they beat two ND teams, I had to dig a little deeper to find out who they played and how the twins did. Did you know that Scottsdale Community College is called the Fighting Artichokes, affectionately known as the Chokes? You can't make this stuff up. :silly:

Charnay was NJCAA DII National player of the week once last year. Impressive.

I see where they beat Williston State twice.

Picture%201.png

Edited by GeauxSioux