SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's next Athletic Director

so.cal.sioux

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ray Purpur would be the dream candidate, but I would think the price tag would be awfully high, not to mention the weather in Palo Alto?

http://gostanford.cstv.com/school-bio/stan-purpur.html

I agree that of the potential candidates being thrown around early on so far that Purpur would be my first choice. He has the combination of being a UND grad with local ties, and years of administrative experience at a DI university.

On another note, I'm not advocating for him in any way nor would I likely support him, but I'm a little surprised nobody has tossed out the name Rich Glas. He fits perfectly the popular mold of being a UND icon with no administrative experience.

I agree that of the potential candidates being thrown around early on so far that Purpur would be my first choice. He has the combination of being a UND grad with local ties, and years of administrative experience at a DI university.

On another note, I'm not advocating for him in any way nor would I likely support him, but I'm a little surprised nobody has tossed out the name Rich Glas. He fits perfectly the popular mold of being a UND icon with no administrative experience.

I agree. Rich would be an interesting candidate. Even though I like Rich a lot, I would have to throw him into the same category as Dean. Great coaches and great people, not what UND Athletics needs at this critical juncture.

What about Al Molde? He was the #1 candidate in 2005 but couldn't come to terms. You would think UND would want to throw more money at a quality applicant this time around.

There is some speculation that the last time around, he was using the UND job as leverage to get a raise at Gustavus, and I believe it worked.

If Rich were interested in getting into administration, I believe he could have done so at UND a couple of years ago once it became clear that continuing as basketball coach wasn't in the cards. Evidently, he declined and wanted to remain in coaching in some capacity.

God forbid we even take a look at candidates, dare I say it, without UND ties ???

Of course other candidates will be looked at, it's just difficult for those of us outside the inner circle to give an educated guess about who may be interested. One guy who I've thought about is the Winona State a.d. That athletic department has obviously done quite well, particularly considering it has a pretty modest budget.

There is some speculation that the last time around, he was using the UND job as leverage to get a raise at Gustavus, and I believe it worked.

I understand this a bit differently - Molde may have gotten a raise at Gustavus but I don't think he was "using" the UND job as leverage. I think he was truly interested in it!

I beleive the following is fact.....

Molde's wife had a very good job (a job she really liked) and very good income at the point he was considering the UND AD job last time around. The AD salary at UND was such that they would have take a step backwords as a family and she would have had to give up a job she really loved. As a family, they decided the UND salary was not enough to offset this loss of her job and her income. A legitimate decision that most any of us would have made!

Since then, I believe his wife has retired so their situation may be much different today than it was then. He may be interested - he would be an excellent candidate! My impression is that he likely would have gotten the job last time around had he not pulled his name out of the hat! That may not be fact!

Although I am in Rob's corner, I think there are three other very good candidates (not sure of their interest level): Purpur, Molde and Hedberg!

I understand this a bit differently - Molde may have gotten a raise at Gustavus but I don't think he was "using" the UND job as leverage. I think he was truly interested in it!

I beleive the following is fact.....

Molde's wife had a very good job (a job she really liked) and very good income at the point he was considering the UND AD job last time around. The AD salary at UND was such that they would have take a step backwords as a family and she would have had to give up a job she really loved. As a family, they decided the UND salary was not enough to offset this loss of her job and her income. A legitimate decision that most any of us would have made!

Since then, I believe his wife has retired so their situation may be much different today than it was then. He may be interested - he would be an excellent candidate! My impression is that he likely would have gotten the job last time around had he not pulled his name out of the hat! That may not be fact!

Although I am in Rob's corner, I think there are three other very good candidates (not sure of their interest level): Purpur, Molde and Hedberg!

You certainly may be right about that, although I can't help but wonder why it would have taken him that long to realize that the UND salary was not going to be enough to warrant a move. In other words, I would assume the general salary range was known well before he withdrew from consideration. With that said, I certainly would consider him to be a good candidate should be choose to apply again.

Molde does have considerable administrative experience, and he has dI experience in that he was a longtime head football coach at Western Michigan.

You certainly may be right about that, although I can't help but wonder why it would have taken him that long to realize that the UND salary was not going to be enough to warrant a move. In other words, I would assume the general salary range was known well before he withdrew from consideration. With that said, I certainly would consider him to be a good candidate should be choose to apply again.

Molde does have considerable administrative experience, and he has dI experience in that he was a longtime head football coach at Western Michigan.

I believe Al Molde was offered the AD job last time around. UND could not match his demands, for annual compensation amount or length and term of contract. These I believe become different with a state institution vs a private College. He did receive a new contract upon returning to Gustavus.

I believe Walrus is correct about Molde and he would also be a viable candidate. I don't think the experience as an Asst. AD or even an AD are as important as the leadership skills of the person chosen. The issue about the budget isn't whether or not they can do the budget, the issue is that they are responsible to develop a budget, strategic planning, facility planning and make sure the Athletic Department opperates within the confines of the budget while at the same time "taking care of their people". All of these issues need to keep in mind the mission statement of UND and also make sure it fits within the Universities strategic plan.

Blais, Molde, Purpur and Bollinger are all viable candidates. The references to the "good old boys club" ring familiar with those parents who think their kids lack of success is because the other kids gets the part in the play or is the starting Goalie or QB because of who their parents are.

I don't care if they are in the good ol' boys club, the Elks Club or Rotary as long as they are the best person for the job.

My ranked candidates for UND Athletic Director...

1. Rob Bollinger

2. Ray Purpur (a very close second)

3. Al Molde

These are my picks with the discussed candidates to date. All three would be a good fit and I would be happy with any of them. There may be a candidate from the outside that throws his/her name into the hat and could bring strong credentials and could crack the top 3.

Remember: This is for informational purposes only. No wagering!

just a question........from our lists...?

The UND AD job will roughly pay 125-130 a year to start, probably a 1 year deal with a 1 year option.

Who is willing to: leave their current situation, take basically a lateral financial move *, uproot ther family, and not know who their direct supervisor (boss) will be in 6 months.....?

*exception AD at Minot my guess is 80 year

It will take about 3 months to have a list of applicants. They will have to form a committee, decide on the job description and criteria for hiring and then advertise for 30 days. Throw the holidays in there and you have about 3 months before they are ready to interview. That is a normal time frame for this type position. The new president won't be in position yet, but will probably have input in the process.