SiouxSports.com Forum

UND 2008 schedule

Yote 53

I bet Poly thought they wouldn't have to travel to the Dakotas for a year.

Too bad.

Cal Poly is traveling to Brookings again next season on the front end of a new home and home contract with SDSU. SDSU will be coming to San Luis Obispo in 2009. If Cal Poly is traveling to play UND next season it will mean we have two trips to the Dakota's next year.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cal Poly is traveling to Brookings again next season on the front end of a new home and home contract with SDSU. SDSU will be coming to San Luis Obispo in 2009. If Cal Poly is traveling to play UND next season it will mean we have two trips to the Dakota's next year.

The UND-Cal Poly game will be in SLO. UND will be making two trips to Cali next year.

Link

9-19-09 @ Northwestern State University - AGS

NSU went 4-7 (3-4) this year but they did play D1A Ole Miss and only lost by 7 points. They also played Stephen F. Austin and won 31-12. The Bison played Stephen F. Austin and won 28-19. Their Football stadium holds just under 16,000 people. Just some random information.

A message board poster on D2football.com is reporting that UND will host Texas A&M-Kingsville on 8/28/08. TAMUK is historically a strong program, but went just 3-8 this year.

link

Anybody else remember the last time UND hosted them (back when they were known as Texas A & I)? I believe it was 1986--Roger Thomas's first year as head coach, and there was a ton of offense in that game. The Sioux weren't very good back then, but I remember how good of a running back Johnny Bailey was for A & I.

Anybody else remember the last time UND hosted them (back when they were known as Texas A & I)? I believe it was 1986--Roger Thomas's first year as head coach, and there was a ton of offense in that game. The Sioux weren't very good back then, but I remember how good of a running back Johnny Bailey was for A & I.

Yes... actually I was just thinking about that game when I made the post. I think they had two NFL running backs in that backfield (Bailey and Heath Sherman). Luckily, I don't think they'll be bringing that level of talent to Grand Forks this time around. :D

More on the TAMUK game...

A&M-Kingsville will open its 11-game schedule next season on Aug. 28 at the domed Alerus Center in Grand Forks, N.D., against the Fighting Sioux. It will be the third consecutive season the Javelinas have scheduled 11 games.

"There were other opportunities and we did consider not doing it," Atterberry said of an 11-game schedule. "But we felt like this was a pretty good opportunity. Like I said, they've played at a high level at Division II and we want to go up there and compete."

UND leads Javs' slate for '08

Since the 2007 football schedule thread (along with the hockey recruits thread) was one of the two that inspired to me think there were topics better served by a combination of a page and a discussion thread, I've been tracking the discussion on the 2008 football schedule wiki page.

I also added a link to that to the first post in the thread so newcomers don't need to parse the thread to discover everything currently known about the schedule.

Since the 2007 football schedule thread (along with the hockey recruits thread) was one of the two that inspired to me think there were topics better served by a combination of a page and a discussion thread, I've been tracking the discussion on the 2008 football schedule wiki page.

I also added a link to that to the first post in the thread so newcomers don't need to parse the thread to discover everything currently known about the schedule.

Shouldn't SUU be under "Confirmed - TBA"?

Shouldn't SUU be under "Confirmed - TBA"?

Probably, since it was known to be a multi-year deal, but I couldn't find a reference. The whole point of it being a wiki was so anyone who has information to add can do so, feel free to hit the login/edit button at the bottom and make a change ;)

Probably, since it was known to be a multi-year deal, but I couldn't find a reference. The whole point of it being a wiki was so anyone who has information to add can do so, feel free to hit the login/edit button at the bottom and make a change ;)

COLLEGE FOOTBALL: Sioux to face Great West member Southern Utah - GF Herald

UND has signed a two-year contract with Southern Utah. The Thunderbirds will play in Grand Forks in 2008.

Wiki freaks me out...but I will see what I can do.

Coach was interviewed during the hockey game last night. He said he intends to release the 2008 opponents once they have 10 confirmed games scheduled, which should be in the next couple weeks. He said there will be two DII opponents (presumably Texas A&M-Kingsville and St. Cloud St.) and no more.

I agree that sounds a bit different. It looks like USD is having a much tougher time scheduling than UND is. A post on AGS indicates that they are possibly negotiating with Dakota Wesleyan and DII independent Lincoln as well. I wouldn't be surprised if USD can't get many home games or any GWFC games, that UND would travel back to Vermillion next year. I certainly hope for 2009 that the GWFC straightens out the schedule so that all schools get two home games and two away games during conference play, regardless of the prior travel patterns.

That is pretty ridiculous that a round robin could not be worked out in the small GWFC. I understand that it may Possibly hurt a team's playoff chances for next year which helps give credibility to the conference. However, what benefits are there of being in this conference that USD and we may be looking to leave anyway in a couple of short years. Might as well just schedule as independents. Poly and Davis can't being having an overabundance of game opportunities outside the conference. It's a good thing we are reportedly playing everyone.

That is pretty ridiculous that a round robin could not be worked out in the small GWFC. I understand that it may Possibly hurt a team's playoff chances for next year which helps give credibility to the conference. However, what benefits are there of being in this conference that USD and we may be looking to leave anyway in a couple of short years. Might as well just schedule as independents. Poly and Davis can't being having an overabundance of game opportunities outside the conference. It's a good thing we are reportedly playing everyone.

UND and USD signed on for a five years. I am sure that in 2009 the conference schedule will be balnced with 2 home and 2 road games. I am glad that Cal Poly has both UND and USD on their 2008 schedule.

UND and USD signed on for a five years. I am sure that in 2009 the conference schedule will be balnced with 2 home and 2 road games. I am glad that Cal Poly has both UND and USD on their 2008 schedule.

You guys are playing both NDSU and SDSU again this year too, aren't you? I know SDSU for sure, but I thought over on AGS I heard rumblings of NDSU as well.

You guys are playing both NDSU and SDSU again this year too, aren't you? I know SDSU for sure, but I thought over on AGS I heard rumblings of NDSU as well.

From what I have heard, we have both NDSU and SDSU on the schedule and we are traveling to both places in 2008. I heard it from someone who is usually in the know about Cal Poly athletics.

I agree that sounds a bit different. It looks like USD is having a much tougher time scheduling than UND is. A post on AGS indicates that they are possibly negotiating with Dakota Wesleyan and DII independent Lincoln as well. I wouldn't be surprised if USD can't get many home games or any GWFC games, that UND would travel back to Vermillion next year. I certainly hope for 2009 that the GWFC straightens out the schedule so that all schools get two home games and two away games during conference play, regardless of the prior travel patterns.

Those are rumors. No way we play Dakota Wesleyan, no freaking way. Lincoln, I can half believe becasue they are D2 but not Wesleyan. The thing about USD athletics in general is that a lot of what is done inside the athletic dept is not well publicized because the school is not located in a major media market. That is why the prospective USD schedule is not as confirmed as UND's. i'll talk to some people and see what I can find out. I just can't believe that we would make a move up under the guise of playing better competition and then schedule DWU. If we are going to schedule an NAIA it would be a team from out of state so the casual fan here would'nt really know who we are playing and could'nt identify the school from a lineup.

I don't think we are having a whole lot of trouble scheduling quality road games just home games. Such is the transition life.

Frankly, I see 2008 as a throw away year anyways. I am more focused on the road games we schedule and the relationships we build so that we can get some good FCS schools to come here in 2009 and beyond. For 2008 it appears we will play a bunch of patsies at home. That's fine, that way I can get hammered while tailgating and not have to "worry" about losing. Great attitude, huh. Well if we are'nt going to see any exciting games might as well have fun doing it.

Those are rumors. No way we play Dakota Wesleyan, no freaking way. Lincoln, I can half believe becasue they are D2 but not Wesleyan. The thing about USD athletics in general is that a lot of what is done inside the athletic dept is not well publicized because the school is not located in a major media market. That is why the prospective USD schedule is not as confirmed as UND's. i'll talk to some people and see what I can find out. I just can't believe that we would make a move up under the guise of playing better competition and then schedule DWU. If we are going to schedule an NAIA it would be a team from out of state so the casual fan here would'nt really know who we are playing and could'nt identify the school from a lineup.

I don't think we are having a whole lot of trouble scheduling quality road games just home games. Such is the transition life.

Frankly, I see 2008 as a throw away year anyways. I am more focused on the road games we schedule and the relationships we build so that we can get some good FCS schools to come here in 2009 and beyond. For 2008 it appears we will play a bunch of patsies at home. That's fine, that way I can get hammered while tailgating and not have to "worry" about losing. Great attitude, huh. Well if we are'nt going to see any exciting games might as well have fun doing it.

IIRC...another former NCC school played a NAIA school (Montana Tech) in their first year of DI football. Why can't the Yotes? Would Montana Tech be preferable to Dakota Wesleyan?

BTW...I see 2008 as UND's first opportunity for a GWFC Championship.

IIRC...another former NCC school played a NAIA school (Montana Tech) in their first year of DI football. Why can't the Yotes? Would Montana Tech be preferable to Dakota Wesleyan?

BTW...I see 2008 as UND's first opportunity for a GWFC Championship.

Cal Poly will give you a real good test next year. They return 10 starters (need to replace the left gaurd) off the number one offense in the FCS in 2007 (487 yards a game) and number six scoring offense (39.3 points a game). They were very young this season on defense, but return 8 starters on that side of the ball next season. Cal Poly usually has one of the top defenses in the FCS and I expect next year they will be back near the top.

I am expecting a great game with UND next season. I really have a lot of respect for the football program at UND and coach Lennon. I know that they will be competitive from the start. The game against UNI in 2005 showed they could play with anyone in the FCS. I am looking forward to many battles with the Sioux over the years to come.