SiouxSports.com Forum

UND 2008 schedule

Yote 53

UND's schedule is what it is. The home schedule is on the weak side and the road schedule is decent. As has already been said, UND tried to put together a tough schedule. I don't think NDSU did us any favors by doing as well as they did with their transition. They demonstrated that a mediocre DII team can move up and play at the next level quite successfully with equal resources. UND on the other hand has been one of the top DII teams for the last several years. The established teams in FCS are all quite aware that a game with UND with increased resources would be anything but a given this next year. You can even use SDSU as an example as well since their D11 program wasn't much to talk about prior to their transition. They goy some good games early on and beat some of the established FCS teams.

NDSU a mediore D2 team? Your either 1) an idiot 2) just trying to get a rise out me (i guess its working) 3) have a short memory

Now if you want to say UND was better the last 5 years before we went D1, I'll agree since you won 4 out of the last 5. But I wouldn't say substantilly better since all 4 losses were by 1 score or less. Both teams were really good.

NDSU has 8 Championships my friend. You make it sound like we were horrible up until we left. We made the playoffs in 1990, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1997, 2000. We narrowly missed the playoffs in 2001 and had our only losing record in my lifetime in 2002. Babich was fired and 2003 was the last season in the NCC and we managed to beat Montana and lost 2 conference road games in OT. Hardly a mediocre team that left D2.

In all fairness, UND played in a solid but watered down version of the NCC and haven't won a Championship since the 2 of the best teams left in Northern Colorado and NDSU. It's easier to dominate an auto bid conference when you eliminate 2 teams that had 11 Championships between the 2 of them and replace them with weak teams.

Either way... UND will do fine in the transition but like NDSU, will have a tough time getting home games. It sucks but if you can gut it out it will get better. But like NDSU, nobody wants to play a team that is great and never loses at home.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not trying to start a pissing match here. I am well aware of NDSU's storied football tradition and it is one to be proud of. Just saying that the Bison were not a consistent playoff contender the few years leading into their transition. I would guess that most Bison fans would consider these teams as mediocre when compared to what expectations are at NDSU. Yet NDSU did quite well and probably turned some heads with how well they transitioned...as did SDSU.

UND on the other hand has been a playoff and championship contender in the few years leading up to their transition...even if it is a watered down D2. I believe that scheduling may be a bit more difficult for UND due in part to the successful transition of the Bison and Jacks, as well as the success of our team the past few years. Just my .02 cents...

NDSU a mediore D2 team? Your either 1) an idiot 2) just trying to get a rise out me (i guess its working) 3) have a short memory

Now if you want to say UND was better the last 5 years before we went D1, I'll agree since you won 4 out of the last 5. But I wouldn't say substantilly better since all 4 losses were by 1 score or less. Both teams were really good.

NDSU has 8 Championships my friend. You make it sound like we were horrible up until we left. We made the playoffs in 1990, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1997, 2000. We narrowly missed the playoffs in 2001 and had our only losing record in my lifetime in 2002. Babich was fired and 2003 was the last season in the NCC and we managed to beat Montana and lost 2 conference road games in OT. Hardly a mediocre team that left D2.

In all fairness, UND played in a solid but watered down version of the NCC and haven't won a Championship since the 2 of the best teams left in Northern Colorado and NDSU. It's easier to dominate an auto bid conference when you eliminate 2 teams that had 11 Championships between the 2 of them and replace them with weak teams.

Either way... UND will do fine in the transition but like NDSU, will have a tough time getting home games. It sucks but if you can gut it out it will get better. But like NDSU, nobody wants to play a team that is great and never loses at home.

And the Ag College ego shows through once again. :silly:

FYI, NDAC didn't make the conference. It's comments like this that make me never want to play the bison any time soon.

It's easier to dominate an auto bid conference when you eliminate 2 teams that had 11 Championships between the 2 of them and replace them with weak teams.

This statement is quite true, but UND won it's national title before the defection, not after.

This statement is quite true, but UND won it's national title before the defection, not after.

The NCC is not an auto-bid conference, but they have been a consistant dominant force in the conference since about 1990. When did these teams you speak of leave again, opening the door for UND to succeed? :silly:

I'm the first to admit, this schedule isn't all that bad, and I congrat. the sioux for such a schedule.

I do want to comment though, on the fact that lots of sioux fans think that the Bison were completely !@#$ before we moved up. We weren't THAT bad, lots of sioux fans forget about 2000, IMO. But, like I said, not that bad of a schedule guys, I do wish that you could have played or given Mary a shot. If you gotta schedule a DIII, Mary could have taken that spot and sold a ton of tickets. I know lots of folks from Bis that would have gone to the game.

mary is a DII school (SPIT! SPIT!) WHY the heck would we have considered them??

I would play any D1 or D2 team to get games. We don't have anything else to play for in the next five years what difference does it make? A week off vs U of Mary, I would play them. We would be crazy not to if we don't have any other games.

A.) You know nothing about "hosting" a playoff game so shut your pie hole.

B.) You wouldn't congratulate UND if the med school found a cure for AIDS, so shut your pie hole.

C.) There is a message board for NDSU people called Bisonville, go there or shut your pie hole.

What's the matter coach, looking forward to the great home schedule? Which game is your favorite?

I would play any D1 or D2 team to get games. We don't have anything else to play for in the next five years what difference does it make? A week off vs U of Mary, I would play them. We would be crazy not to if we don't have any other games.

I believe SiouxMeNow's reply was a tongue in cheek jab at our predecessors from the south. We are not going to act like we are better than D2 teams the next year after we leave, like some teams have done in the past....or team has done in the past. :angry:

Well no surprises here really. Just as we got some great late aquisitions this recruiting season, I'm hoping that we can score a nice home game or a sacrificial game at a FBS school (not likely) for one of those 2 open dates in October.

I also really like the 7 PM start November 8th for the SUU home game. I wish all the games were like that! Hopefully as we become a full-fledged D1-FCS team that this becomes more common. It sets us up for primetime TV coverage and what I feel will probably be maximum attendance.

I also really like the 7 PM start November 8th for the SUU home game. I wish all the games were like that! Hopefully as we become a full-fledged D1-FCS team that this becomes more common. It sets us up for primetime TV coverage and what I feel will probably be maximum attendance.

I would also like to see a shift toward night games. I know Lennon was against them. The UW-La Crosse site had the game at 5:00, but UND's site has 1:00. I think night games, or very late afternoon games would help attendance, as alot of people have to work or want to spend their Saturday afternoon in the yard before the snow flies. Some fans, like me, travel a fair distance to get to the games. The 1:00 start pretty much blows the entire day for me.

I would also like to see a shift toward night games. I know Lennon was against them. The UW-La Crosse site had the game at 5:00, but UND's site has 1:00. I think night games, or very late afternoon games would help attendance, as alot of people have to work or want to spend their Saturday afternoon in the yard before the snow flies. Some fans, like me, travel a fair distance to get to the games. The 1:00 start pretty much blows the entire day for me.

Not to mention families with the kids that are involved in youth sports that play their games on Saturday afternoons.

I think evening games are fine early in the season, but later on you run the risk of conflicting with hockey, and there are a lot of people that like to go to both. That's not an insignificant consideration in a market the size of Grand Forks.

Agreed. But by the time hockey starts, there are probably only 2 home games left.

I always take advantage on days when Hockey and Basketball are played on the same day, It'd be alot of fun to go to a 3:00 or so football game, and then head to the REA for Hockey.

So has anyone heard any of the names that are floating around for schools that they are possibly trying to set another game up with?

Youngstown State 11/15....? Cal Poly....:angry:

They are working hard to fill one of the 3 open dates we have with a home game, but would perfer to not play a D2 or D3 school....Open dates 10/4, 10/11,11/15.....

I believe SiouxMeNow's reply was a tongue in cheek jab at our predecessors from the south. We are not going to act like we are better than D2 teams the next year after we leave, like some teams have done in the past....or team has done in the past. :angry:

DING DING DING!! We have a winner! Thank goodness someone still remembers sarcasm...I'm sure Mary will be a force in the northern sun conference and go head to head with the GLIAC (WAIT! THEY'RE GOING TO KICK YOUR ASS EVERY YEAR YOU PLAY THEM! NO CONTEST!) hahahaha....

Despite its FBS status, the University of Idaho is quite similar to UND. It has an enrollment of approximately 11,000, and is situated in a city of about 23,000. They play in a domed football facility that seats about 16,000.

Idaho went 1-11 in 2007, with their lone win coming against Cal Poly 20-13.