SiouxSports.com Forum

UND 2008 schedule

Yote 53

I wouldn't have a problem with a DII, but I would have a hard time showing up to watch an NAIA game. I do understand the difficulty in putting together a schedule, but I believe we'd be better off having fewer home games (in order to set up a quality home games in 09 and 10) than playing a Mayville State or Montana Tech.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to posters on the Southern Illinois board, Saluki Talk, we will be playing SIU next year. Game is supposed to be announced today. A tentative date of Nov. 1 was mentioned or "week nine" of the schedule. (I haven't checked the calendar yet.) I presume it will be in Carbondale.

Looks like coach Lennon is giving UND a big helping hand now that our schedule for next year has been crumbling around us. I trust we can make it a good contest. It definitely gives the schedule a big boost, IMO.

The irrational rantings of ProudSioux (a frequent and unfortunate poster on the SIU board) not withstanding, SIU fans seem to feel this is a good development -- better than prior D2 opponents and a good PR move.

Anyway, nothing official yet, but SIU posters seem pretty definite. Hope it's true.

According to posters on the Southern Illinois board, Saluki Talk, we will be playing SIU next year. Game is supposed to be announced today. A tentative date of Nov. 1 was mentioned or "week nine" of the schedule. (I haven't checked the calendar yet.) I presume it will be in Carbondale.

Looks like coach Lennon is giving UND a big helping hand now that our schedule for next year has been crumbling around us. I trust we can make it a good contest. It definitely gives the schedule a big boost, IMO.

The irrational rantings of ProudSioux (a frequent and unfortunate poster on the SIU board) not withstanding, SIU fans seem to feel this is a good development -- better than prior D2 opponents and a good PR move.

Anyway, nothing official yet, but SIU posters seem pretty definite. Hope it's true.

Damn! Missed it by that much. :lol:

November 1st in Carbondale. One-year deal. No return trip.

Mussman half-jokingly said when he was hired that he would want a home-and-home arrangement before considering scheduling SIU. The implication was that SIU was so good that it wouldn't make sense to play them right away unless UND got a home game out of it. Obviously circumstances have changed a bit since then.

But I think this is a good move despite the fact that UND doesn't get a return home game out of it. It's top-quality competition and it builds goodwill. Politically, I don't think Lennon could come out of the gate with a home-and-home against his transitioning former school. But maybe SIU may consider a home-and-home contract at some point down the road.

Well, thank you Dale! :lol: The best thing about this addition is that it gives us a high-quality game late in the season when most teams are into their conference schedules. Another good thing about it is that it is the second Gateway team in three years to schedule us. Establishing relationships with Gateway teams is a good thing.

UND FOOTBALL: Salukis, Sioux to meet in '08

The Sioux will play Southern Illinois on Nov. 1 in Carbondale, a game that likely will be one of UND's highlights in its first season of Division I football.

UND may announce its schedule within the next week, depending on negotiations with one or two schools. It's believed the Sioux have contracts for nine games, but the program wants to play at least 11 games in 2008.

You have 6 confirmed games with USD to be announced.

Who are the other 3 contracts? Saint Cloud, SE Louisiana, and who else?

SCSU and SE Louisiana are the only two unconfirmed rumours out there. Those would put UND at 9 games. So there must be a couple other teams that UND is still talking to, but I haven't anything about who they are.

And from the Herald article today:

It's still not clear whether UND will play three or four Great West games next season.
So presumably, Cal Poly is still a possibility, as remote as it may be.