SiouxSports.com Forum

UND 2008 schedule

Yote 53

Admin Edit: Current 2008 Football Schedule

---

A little early for talking about the 2008 season for the Sioux, unfortunately, after next week, that is what we will be talking about down south.

I was wondering if any of you have heard what your prospective schedule will be? I have heard down here that there is talk between our schools of setting up 2 games a year between the U's, a home and home, one nonconf one conf game for the first couple of years.

It's not a bad idea. I remember playing against SDSU twice a year back in the 90's to fill out a good, competitive, interesting schedule. So it is not unprecedented, and it is better than playing a D2, D3, or NAIA.

Your thoughts.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little early for talking about the 2008 season for the Sioux, unfortunately, after next week, that is what we will be talking about down south.

I was wondering if any of you have heard what your prospective schedule will be? I have heard down here that there is talk between our schools of setting up 2 games a year between the U's, a home and home, one nonconf one conf game for the first couple of years.

It's not a bad idea. I remember playing against SDSU twice a year back in the 90's to fill out a good, competitive, interesting schedule. So it is not unprecedented, and it is better than playing a D2, D3, or NAIA.

Your thoughts.

I haven't heard anything about UND and USD possibly playing twice next year. It might be an option if scheduling enough current FCS teams turns out to be impossible for next year, although personally I'd prefer to play once and see some different teams we're not used to seeing.

The only thing I've heard about next year so far is a full Great West schedule plus St. Cloud St. I think the idea of playing any team, even the Coyotes, twice in the same season sounds like a lame idea. Although I do think the two schools need to work together to market games between one another in all sports.

The only thing I've heard about next year so far is a full Great West schedule plus St. Cloud St. I think the idea of playing any team, even the Coyotes, twice in the same season sounds like a lame idea. Although I do think the two schools need to work together to market games between one another in all sports.

I thought St. Cloud St. wouldn't play us in anything non-conference because of our nickname/logo. Am I wrong on that? Thanks.

I thought St. Cloud St. wouldn't play us in anything non-conference because of our nickname/logo. Am I wrong on that? Thanks.

You must be wrong...Pat Sweeney mentioned on the Fighting Sioux Coaces show last week that St. Cloud has agreed to play UND next year. Not sure if it's here or in St. Cloud...I would assume it would be a home game though.

There was a Native American group on the SCSU campus that once asked UND not to wear its hostile and abusive jerseys when the Sioux played in St. Cloud. And, of course, former SCSU president Roy Saigo spearheaded the NCAA effort to get rid of American Indian nicknames. But as far as I know, SCSU has never had an official policy against playing UND.

UND reportedly will be playing at McNeese State next year.

McNeese State (FCS - Southland Conference) is currently 9-0 and has already beaten USD (31-7) and SUU (41-20). This will be a tough road game for Coach Lennon and the boys...

31 UND

28 McNeese State

???

So far we have...

@ McNeese State

@ UC-Davis

vs SUU

vs USD

vs SCSU

...am I missing any?

McNeese State (FCS - Southland Conference) is currently 9-0 and has already beaten USD (31-7) and SUU (41-20). This will be a tough road game for Coach Lennon and the boys...

31 UND

28 McNeese State

???

So far we have...

@ McNeese State

@ UC-Davis

vs SUU

vs USD

vs SCSU

...am I missing any?

@ Cal-Poly makes six.

In 2008 so to minimize non-counters, Cal Poly plays USD (but not UND), while UC-Davis only plays UND.

In August, Lennon was quoted as "nine" games have been scheduled. The AFCA site seems to confirm this, as UND is only listing three open dates in 2008: Aug 28-30, Sept 6, and Oct 18.

UND posted those open dates on the AFCA site 2 months before it was announced that the University was going Division I. They likely knew way before the announcement of course, but it begs the question, were those open dates originally intended for 3 DII non-conference games in addition to the 8 NCC games we would have played in 2008 making for an 11 game schedule? In April of '06 it wasn't yet known for sure if UND would join the GWFC, and even if they did one would presume they'd be looking for alot more than 3 games at that time for 2008 given the fact that at most there would be a maximum of only 4 guaranteed GWFC games.

FWIW, on the AFCA site UC-Davis and Montana St. have open dates corresponding with those listed for UND in 2008. Although UC-Davis' openings were posted in late August, and with UND accepting the invite to the GWFC in early August, I'd suspect that UND is already on their schedule. I think there was already an article sited in this thread on that.

UND posted those open dates on the AFCA site 2 months before it was announced that the University was going Division I. They likely knew way before the announcement of course, but it begs the question, were those open dates originally intended for 3 DII non-conference games in addition to the 8 NCC games we would have played in 2008 making for an 11 game schedule? In April of '06 it wasn't yet known for sure if UND would join the GWFC, and even if they did one would presume they'd be looking for alot more than 3 games at that time for 2008 given the fact that at most there would be a maximum of only 4 guaranteed GWFC games.

Oops, read the posting date as "2007". ???

But nevertheless, Lennon himself, during the Great West acceptance video three months ago, hoped to have the 2008 schedule would be issued "very shortly". Highly doubt he would have stated that unless the majority of the 2008 schedule was already firm.

Argus Leader: USD-Augie series may not be over

But is this really the end? Next year's schedule at NCAA FCS-bound USD is far from complete. While Northern Sun-bound Augustana has just one non-conference week to fill next year, there's a good chance USD will also have that week open.

The Coyotes are locked-in on only two games - an opener at Northern Iowa and a Dakota Day game with Missouri-Rolla. Even anticipated matchups with the Great West teams are running into snags for 2008, so it's very likely the game could be played if both sides want it to happen.

Emphasis added

The SUU and the UC Davis game are the only ones that have really been confirmed. With next year allowing for 12 games, many people assumed that the Great West would then just play a complete schedule. It sounds like the schools are still trying to work things out but as of yet nothing has been confirmed about us playing Cal Poly. Obviously this article from October 21 shows that scheduling is easier said than done.

Side note: Auggie and the University of Sioux Falls announced earlier this season that they were going to start trying to schedule each other in FB again. It'll be interesting to see who Auggie chooses to play in their 1 non-conference game next year.

Here is a link to USD's 2008 schedule discussion on our forum. There is also a lot of talk again about us playing twice next year. This is serious discussion as the schools are structuring it as a season ending bowl possibly being played at the Metrodome. I heard this straight from USD's AD Nielson. It is, like I said, only an idea right now.

Here's the links:

Dakota Bowl link

http://coyotesports.proboards100.com/index...read=1194624997

2008 USD schedule discussion

http://coyotesports.proboards100.com/index...read=1194831174