SiouxSports.com Forum

2007-2008 Season

UND Fan

True, the record could be better based upon a probably pretty soft schedule. But whether the caliber of play is better is another question.

The only way caliber of play improves is with new players. This group either doesn't get it or can't get it.

And I for one, do NOT want a bunch of transfers from all over the country coming in here and screwing things up any longer!!! Go find 6-8 freshman and teach them the game the way the coaches want the game played. We'll get beat next year but at least we grow an attachment to the team and follow them for 4-5 years.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You really have to hand it to MSU-Mankato coach Matt Margenthaler. He lost league mvp Luke Anderson, plus two other all-NCC players from last year's team, and returned no all-conference players, and yet has clinched the league title this year. I know some find him a bit abrasive, but he's apparently a heck of a coach.

They can play in the NIT, I believe, not that is going to matter!!! The NIT is not associated with the NCAA.

They can qualify for the NIT during the transition, the SDSU women's team did last year. The NIT is actually owned and operated by the NCAA.

Obviously, with the state of the Men's program, it is not a realistic goal, but getting an NIT bid for either the men's or women's program will surely become the ultimate goal until the transition is over.

Question for our NDSU friends, did the far-flung scheduling alliance that the xDSU's participated in, the United Basketball Conference, keep leauge stats, records, standings, etc.?

They can play in the NIT, I believe, not that is going to matter!!! The NIT is not associated with the NCAA.

Actually, the men''s NIT is now owned by the NCAA, which woud not invite non-eligible schools to any of it's tournaments. There is a new post-season tournament being formed the College Basketball Invitational, which UND would be eligible for.

The women's NIT is not owned by the NCAA, so UND would be eligible for that.

edit: Bin beat me. :D

Actually, the men''s NIT is now owned by the NCAA, which woud not invite non-eligible schools to any of it's tournaments. There is a new post-season tournament being formed the College Basketball Invitational, which UND would be eligible for.

The women's NIT is not owned by the NCAA, so UND would be eligible for that.

edit: Bin beat me. :D

I didn't know that the NCAA only had control of the Men's NIT and not the women's. Are you sure that non-eligible teams would not be invited? I seem to recall that being one of NDSU's big goals in Miles' last two years.

They can qualify for the NIT during the transition, the SDSU women's team did last year. The NIT is actually owned and operated by the NCAA.

Obviously, with the state of the Men's program, it is not a realistic goal, but getting an NIT bid for either the men's or women's program will surely become the ultimate goal until the transition is over.

Question for our NDSU friends, did the far-flung scheduling alliance that the xDSU's participated in, the United Basketball Conference, keep leauge stats, records, standings, etc.?

I don't believe so. Tim Miles joked that he had named himself commissioner of the league. As far as I know, there is/was no website, office, or paperwork regarding the UBC. It was just a pretty name for a scheduling alliance. The United Soccer Conference, on the other hand, is a real conference.

After a quick internet search, there are a couple websites, but they're unofficial.

BTW, Star is correct about the men's NIT. Since it was bought by the NCAA, transitional teams no longer qualify.

I didn't know that the NCAA only had control of the Men's NIT and not the women's. Are you sure that non-eligible teams would not be invited? I seem to recall that being one of NDSU's big goals in Miles' last two years.

The NIT had been one of Miles' goals, but the NIT's lawsuit against the NCAA (and the NCAA's settlement, buying out the NIT for 56.5 milllion) altered Miles' hopes.

Wiki:

Unlike the men's NIT, the WNIT is not operated by the NCAA, nor was it operated by the Metropolitan Intercollegiate Basketball Association, the body which ran the men's NIT for virtually all of its history until the NCAA purchased that tournament in 2005. Currently, the WNIT is owned and promoted by Triple Crown Sports, a Denver, Colorado-based promotion and marketing company.

I don't believe so. Tim Miles joked that he had named himself commissioner of the league. As far as I know, there is/was no website, office, or paperwork regarding the UBC. It was just a pretty name for a scheduling alliance. The United Soccer Conference, on the other hand, is a real conference.

After a quick internet search, there are a couple websites, but they're unofficial.

Thanks.

It seems to me that it would be wise for UND to band together with all or many of the other independent and transtional schools and put together some sort of system to allow the schools to compete for a conference (I use that term loosely) championship, and for the student-athletes to receive weekley and yearly honors from. What would the reason be for not doing it? That is, essentially what the Great West Football Conference is. It would be pretty simple I'd think. All it would require is one person to keep track of stats and send out a weekly press release. I believe that there are actually more independents now than when the xDSU's moved up.

CSU-Bakersfield

Longwood

Chicago St.

New Jersey Institute of Technology

Savannah State

Texas-PanAm

Utah Valley St.

North Dakota

South Dakota

Seattle

SIU-Edwardsville

Houston Baptist

North Carolina Central

UND, USD, Seattle, and SIU-Edwardsville already have a scheduling agreement. I would think that New Jersey Tech, Texas-PanAm, and Utah Valley would be willing to join in the fun, since they had the UBC arrangements with NDSU, SDSU, and IPFW, so the UxD's and SIU would make good geographical replacements for games on their schedules.

Back in about December of 2006 I made a post about how bad the men's BB team was and what a long road we had ahead of us and I got jumped on all over about it. Basketball was always my favorite sport to watch, and I sure miss the glory days of the 1970's. The longer we wait, the harder it's going to be to return to those days, although I don't know what the answer is either.

It seems to me that it would be wise for UND to band together with all or many of the other independent and transtional schools and put together some sort of system to allow the schools to compete for a conference (I use that term loosely) championship, and for the student-athletes to receive weekley and yearly honors from. What would the reason be for not doing it? That is, essentially what the Great West Football Conference is. It would be pretty simple I'd think. All it would require is one person to keep track of stats and send out a weekly press release. I believe that there are actually more independents now than when the xDSU's moved up.

CSU-Bakersfield

Longwood

Chicago St.

New Jersey Institute of Technology

Savannah State

Texas-PanAm

Utah Valley St.

North Dakota

South Dakota

Seattle

SIU-Edwardsville

Houston Baptist

North Carolina Central

UND, USD, Seattle, and SIU-Edwardsville already have a scheduling agreement. I would think that New Jersey Tech, Texas-PanAm, and Utah Valley would be willing to join in the fun, since they had the UBC arrangements with NDSU, SDSU, and IPFW, so the UxD's and SIU would make good geographical replacements for games on their schedules.

NJIT just finished their season 0 fer 29...a new NCAA record.

NJIT is 5-53 since moving to Division I.

It's kind of interesting to compare the fortunes of UND and UNO this year. The two teams had nearly identical records last year, and seemed to be returning comparable talent (although UNO was picked to finish last in the NCC this year--two spots below UND). And yet somehow, UND has gotten worse than last year, while UNO is a respectable 6-4 in the NCC, with a fine overall record of 20-5.