SiouxSports.com Forum

2007-2008 Season

UND Fan

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sioux lose 84-69. This is UND's first 0-4 start to an NCC season since 1995-96, and Sioux men are the only NCC basketball team--men or women--still seeking their first conference win of the season. ???

Not sure it turns around next weekend either. Mankato and St. Cloud are both good enough to win in the Betty. Can't make shooters once the season starts. Wonder why we don't play both the big kids at the same time and try to shove the ball inside more. Koenig took 1 or 2 shots Saturday and Benter maybe 5? If everyone is going to zone us, we might as well go to plan B. :angry:

I don't think we can judge Jones' success or failure as a coach/recruiter quite yet. The upcoming recruiting year will be very crucial in determining that. We could be possibly looking at 6 to 9 new players with graduation,defections and maybe some not being asked to return. If the current group can't get a respectable team together in 2 years, then I'd say we've got trouble.

Outside of Little, it looks like the team is losing more desire every week. Losing does not help that,but like alot of other fans ,I don't see us winning another game all year.

On a side note, it would be nice to see a large contingent of students show up for at least one game and try to generate some electrcity in the Betty. Maybe the last game of the year. It would be a nice problem for the staff at the Betty to see how they would handle it if 1000 students happened to show up for a game.

I don't think we can judge Jones' success or failure as a coach/recruiter quite yet. The upcoming recruiting year will be very crucial in determining that. We could be possibly looking at 6 to 9 new players with graduation,defections and maybe some not being asked to return. If the current group can't get a respectable team together in 2 years, then I'd say we've got trouble.

Outside of Little, it looks like the team is losing more desire every week. Losing does not help that,but like alot of other fans ,I don't see us winning another game all year.

On a side note, it would be nice to see a large contingent of students show up for at least one game and try to generate some electrcity in the Betty. Maybe the last game of the year. It would be a nice problem for the staff at the Betty to see how they would handle it if 1000 students happened to show up for a game.

I agree that it's premature to really judge Jones and staff. I guess what disappoints me is the fact that no immediate-impact scorers were brought in for this season. And while I certainly don't pretend to know the circumstances surrounding Mike Gutter's departure from the program (he's still apparently in school at UND), considering the complete lack of post scoring right now, I kind of wish he was still on the team.

I don't know what Coach Jones did to fire the gus up ,but that was a very good effort from top to bottom. They could have folded at half after losing that lead ,but they came out and stuck with it and got it done. A very entertaining game for those who stayed for the secong half.

I don't know what Coach Jones did to fire the gus up ,but that was a very good effort from top to bottom. They could have folded at half after losing that lead ,but they came out and stuck with it and got it done. A very entertaining game for those who stayed for the secong half.

Is that a shot? :D

I truly feel that they need to move away from double headers as much as possible. I for one can't stand to sit at the Betty for 4 hours at a time but would go to two full games if they were on different days, and this is in an arena that has soft seats. I'm a little disappointed in myself and am starting to wonder how I did it back in Hyslop days.

UND Men Lose......73-65 to St Cloud.

Frustrating game to watch, UND could have won if the boys would play sound TEAM basketball, and quit the showboating between the legs (meaningless) dribbling...? When they ran the offense, reconized the double team, hit the open man, they were successful. The turnovers were just plain stupid basketball, and trying to be the star.

Line of the night.....

#4 St Clouds...Dusty Wabiszewski.......(5'10" 160#).......11 Assists / 1 Turnover....

He made our more athletic and talented gaurds look foolish, with fundemantal basketball skills.

UND only had 10 assists for it's entire team......? Need to learn to pass the ball.

While this isn't our only problem by any means, it's certainly a big part of it--every team in the conference except UND has a post man who averages double figures in scoring (conference-only stats). UND's three posts combine for about eight points per game in conference play. I know finding quality big men isn't easy, but if EVERY other team in the conference has somebody who can be a scoring threat in the post, is there really any good excuse why we don't?

Don't forget, we won the DAC in the preseason. :)

The problems with this team are endless. First, the only head coaching experience our head coach has is what he's done right here!! Never been a head coach before so he has to learn as he goes along. Not sure that is good at this level.

Second, team can't shoot a lick. Great athletes but no shooters and it is empasized by our opponents. The NCC has always been a team of big "cornfed" posts and shooters. Look back at some of the best teams this league has had and you'll find this out.

The good news? As I watched the game on TV the other night, I couldn't find 20 people under the age of 60 at the game. By my estimates, in another 15 years no one will even know this program exists. :D

The problems with this team are endless. First, the only head coaching experience our head coach has is what he's done right here!! Never been a head coach before so he has to learn as he goes along. Not sure that is good at this level.

At the risk of beating a dead horse, our administration made the decision that head coaching experience wasn't nearly as important as having NCAA experience. That resulted in the elimination of nearly every candidate who actually had head coaching experience. Of the four finalists, I believe the only head coaching experience was Weemer's one year at the high school level. Sometimes hiring a coach with no previous head coaching experience works well, e.g. Hakstol. Sometimes it doesn't. Hopefully Jones will start getting things moving in the right direction next year. But obviously it won't be easy, and there's a long, long ways to go.

Here's a semi-interesting statistic: over Rich Glas's final two years, UND won a total of 10 NCC games.

Through Brian Jones' first slightly more than one and a half seasons, UND has won four NCC games (with five left to play).

At the risk of beating a dead horse, our administration made the decision that head coaching experience wasn't nearly as important as having NCAA experience. That resulted in the elimination of nearly every candidate who actually had head coaching experience. Of the four finalists, I believe the only head coaching experience was Weemer's one year at the high school level. Sometimes hiring a coach with no previous head coaching experience works well, e.g. Hakstol. Sometimes it doesn't. Hopefully Jones will start getting things moving in the right direction next year. But obviously it won't be easy, and there's a long, long ways to go.

Here's a semi-interesting statistic: over Rich Glas's final two years, UND won a total of 10 NCC games.

Through Brian Jones' first slightly more than one and a half seasons, UND has won four NCC games (with five left to play).

Look at the rosters, not much has changed. They couldn't play as freshman and sophs. and they can't play now.

Plus, there is no guarantee this team will win another game.

Not to put UND 9296 on the spot, but Craig Smith from Mayville had head coaching experience, and know he is with Tim Miles as an assitant at Colorado State, so based on the administrations decision he wasn't good enough, but now he is because he has been an assitant how stupid is that. They really dropped the ball with him.

Not to put UND 9296 on the spot, but Craig Smith from Mayville had head coaching experience, and know he is with Tim Miles as an assitant at Colorado State, so based on the administrations decision he wasn't good enough, but now he is because he has been an assitant how stupid is that. They really dropped the ball with him.

Okay, so the men officially stink in basketball. Where does the program go from here? Start from scratch? Is next year going to be even more bleak than this year?

I wish I had the answer. This season has been an unmitigated disaster, and there doesn't appear to be many (if any) reasons to think next year will be any better.