SiouxSports.com Forum

2007-2008 Season

UND Fan

It looks as though it is true, but I find it odd that this isn't being announced and marketed a little better. Men's basketball team to face BSU at Target Center on Dec. 29

The University of North Dakota men’s basketball program has announced an additional game to the 2007-08 schedule. The Fighting Sioux will face Bemidji State on December 29 in Minneapolis at the Target Center, home of the National Basketball Association’s Minnesota Timberwolves. The game is scheduled for a 7 p.m. tip-off.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so I missed this in today's Herald. :glare:

UND won't have a home-court advantage, but the chance to play a nonconference game in the Target Center was an opportunity too good to pass up.

The Sioux men's basketball team will play Bemidji State on Dec. 29 in the Target Center. The game had been a possibility since the summer but plans for the game in downtown Minneapolis weren't finalized until recently.

It's pretty sad how many people continue to leave the men's games at halftime when there's a doubleheader. Granted, the first half performance wasn't good, but that doesn't seem like a good reason to leave, particularly since the men had been playing good ball the past few games. :lol:

It's pretty sad how many people continue to leave the men's games at halftime when there's a doubleheader. Granted, the first half performance wasn't good, but that doesn't seem like a good reason to leave, particularly since the men had been playing good ball the past few games. :lol:

6 in a row you can't beat that

It's pretty sad how many people continue to leave the men's games at halftime when there's a doubleheader.

Not trying to justify leaving early, but how many of these folks have to work in the morning? And to make it worse, what if they have a 30-60 minute drive to get home?

I know that's not everyone, but a weeknight is a weeknight.

Not trying to justify leaving early, but how many of these folks have to work in the morning? And to make it worse, what if they have a 30-60 minute drive to get home?

I know that's not everyone, but a weeknight is a weeknight.

IMO, this phenomenon started during the last couple of years of the Rich Glas regime, and it was more or less a silent form of protest of the state of the program. I will admit that I did it a fair number of times myself. Whether or not that now makes me a hypocrite, I don't know. Anyway, it now seems as though it's become almost standard practice for a lot of people to leave either after the women's game or at halftime of the men's game who I don't believe did this before three or four years ago. I guess I just don't understand why the current staff and players should be held responsible for what took place before they got here. After this year, I suppose it will be something of a moot point since there will rarely, if ever, be doubleheaders again.

IMO, this phenomenon started during the last couple of years of the Rich Glas regime, and it was more or less a silent form of protest of the state of the program. I will admit that I did it a fair number of times myself. However, it now seems as though it's become almost standard practice for a lot of people who I don't believe did this before three or four years ago. I guess I just don't understand why the current staff and players should be held responsible for what took place before they got here. After this year, I suppose it will be something of a moot point since there will rarely, if ever, be doubleheaders again.

I agree I think that a double header is really hard to sit thru. I would have thought that they would have tried to avoid them in non conference games. It seems that most people will sacrfice one half of it. Here it seems to be the 2nd half of the men's games. Alot of places it's the first half of the women's game. I think doing away with doubleheaders would have a big impact.

Sioux men win their seventh in a row beating Jamestown 85-71. Keep up the winning ways guys.

Nice job to Coach Jones ,his staff, and the UND Mens Basketball team. Seven in a row is very nice, longest win streak since 2000-2001 season....

Schedule has been favorable, however wining is wining and hopefully this momentum will carry on to conference time.....Great Job so far.. :cool:

Sioux men win their seventh in a row beating Jamestown 85-71. Keep up the winning ways guys.

The only thing this team has proven is that it could win the DAC. They have beaten no one of any substance in the preseason. In fact, if I had season tickets to this team, I'd be really upset with the teams brought in to the Betty so far. Where is the competition? :cool:

The only thing this team has proven is that it could win the DAC. They have beaten no one of any substance in the preseason. In fact, if I had season tickets to this team, I'd be really upset with the teams brought in to the Betty so far. Where is the competition? :cool:

Take a deep breath!

Think the schedule is bad now, wait til we hit the D1 dreamland....UND will be on the road for all games of any meaning for at least 3-4 years. then we will be able to bring to the "Betty" such D1 powerhouses like North Texas Institute of Agriculture....?

Think the schedule is bad now, wait til we hit the D1 dreamland....UND will be on the road for all games of any meaning for at least 3-4 years. then we will be able to bring to the "Betty" such D1 powerhouses like North Texas Institue of Agriculture....?

I heard that NTIA is tough on the road...

Take a deep breath!

No need for a breath. Just tell me I'm wrong. I've been a fan of UND bball for 30 years. I was there, buying tickets for the big games in the 90's. Now, I watch a steady diet of state colleges come here and the ticket prices go up just about every year.

Next year, like the Walrus said, it only get worse. The saddest part of all, NO ONE CARES!!! Everything coach Gunther built and Coach Glas brought back for a while is gone and there aren't 50 people under the age of 50(?) who even have season tickets.

The Betty is a lifeless building now. What happens when we have no league, no playoff options, and no instate players? If you are a fan of UND bball you should be saddened by where this program is today. :lol:

My $.02 is that yes, the home non-conference schedule this year has been quite poor. Yes, it will continue to be poor for at least a couple years. And yes, fan apathy is a big problem.

However, on the bright side, after a disappointing start to the season, I do like what I'm seeing out of the team lately. I initially hated the new offense, but it is really starting to work nicely.

With regard to not having instate players, the state is producing very few legit dII players, either. The early 90's was clearly an aberration with being able to put together a great team with mostly local talent. In any event, Benter looks like he could be a nice player, and Mathison is red-shirting and will hopefully develop in time. I would hope there's also still a chance to pick up Travis Mertens after this season. NDSU has just two scholarship North Dakota players, but that doesn't seem to be bothering any of their fans. I'm certainly not satisfied with what has transpired over the past decade of UND men's basketball, but I'm more optimistic right now than I was two years ago when we were losing at home to teams like Minot State.

Some of these guys are too young to remember the days of the past glory where at the Hsylop between 74-77 Dave Gunthers teams almost went 3 years at home without a loss something 45-1 at home with guys like Gunhus, Goodrich, and Lindahl.....

Then Rich Glas in the 89-94 where they did go two years at home and never lost 34-0 with in state guys like Vonesh, Gully, Gardner, Jacobsen, Boschee.....

Those were the days of great rivalries like USD, NDSU, SDSU. Morningside. These days will be the GloryDays of UND Mens Basketball, (IMO) they will never be repeated......

Sorry, but even I am too young to remember Phil Jackson and the boys....

D1 for UND Mens basketball is not going to be a fun ride for a long time, Coach Jones and his staff will have a huge challenge ahead in scheduling, recruiting, and fan support. I will be there, but will the students and the rest of the community is the question....?

Those were the days of great rivalries like USD, NDSU, SDSU. Morningside. These days will be the GloryDays of UND Mens Basketball, (IMO) they will never be repeated......

I don't know if I'm right or wrong, but I have a more optimistic outlook for Men's Basketball at UND. Sure the program has been down for a few years. But that happens to every program. We won 20 games just three years ago.

To me, the glory days were when we won 18, 20, 26, 29 games in any season. But when we did that, it wasn't when the schedule consisted of 40% NAIA teams like it does now. Anyone who says the schedule is only going to get worse in the next few years, just look at who has been on the schedule the past 4-5 years. Do really take pride in playing those teams? Do our student athletes? I look forward to the next several years as we venture off to DI. Sure, I may not have ever heard about some of the teams we will be playing in the next few years, like New Jersey Institute of Technology or Longwood University. But at least we will start playing teams that are on an equal playing field as us. I know alot more about Mayville, Minot, and Crookston than I do about New Jersey Institute of Technology, but at least NJIT is more likely to put the same caliber of players on the floor as UND will. At least I hope so.

I to am optimistic about the UND mens program, all I am saying is that the days of the Great conference rivalaries with USD, NDSU, SDSU, Morningside and such with nearly 6000 fans hanging from the rafters, loud and proud because your team was nearly unbeatable on it's home court for two to three years in a row........

When will that ever happen again......? Those were the Glory Years (imo)

Next year, like the Walrus said, it only get worse. The saddest part of all, NO ONE CARES!!! Everything coach Gunther built and Coach Glas brought back for a while is gone and there aren't 50 people under the age of 50(?) who even have season tickets.

The Betty is a lifeless building now. What happens when we have no league, no playoff options, and no instate players? If you are a fan of UND bball you should be saddened by where this program is today. :cool:

What was sad was the state of a perenially underacheiving program that Glas left. It became more and more clear that McDermott was a major part of the Sioux success in the early 90's (as well as, of course, talent like Guldseth's). Glas would have never lasted as long as he did without those glory years.

Jones going to the Princeton offense could be just the prescription for the Sioux. Disciplined players from Minnesota and Canada may very well have an interest in that type system.

As far as scheduling, look for these teams:

Seattle

Utah Valley State

Cal St- Bakersfield

Houston Baptist

Texas-Pan Am

South Dakota

What was sad was the state of a perenially underacheiving program that Glas left. It became more and more clear that McDermott was a major part of the Sioux success in the early 90's (as well as, of course, talent like Guldseth's). Glas would have never lasted as long as he did without those glory years.

Jones going to the Princeton offense could be just the prescription for the Sioux. Disciplined players from Minnesota and Canada may very well have an interest in that type system.

As far as scheduling, look for these teams:

Seattle

Utah Valley State

Cal St- Bakersfield

Houston Baptist

Texas-Pan Am

South Dakota

I will not throw Rich under the bus, because he was a friend and I feel a Great Coach with Integerity and Morals.....His teams may not have been as sucessfull as any of us would have liked, and he did indeed miss Greg Mac, but you have to admit it was enjoyable watching the likes of Kyle Behrens, Tom Jacobson, Hunter Reinke, Jerome Beasley and the most exciting couple of games against the storied University of Kansas even tho we lost by 30 were fun, enjoyable, and exciting to watch, all of which happened in his last 5 years at UND....

Everyone that is disapointed in UND basketball, under Rich, Should compare stats with the years under Dave Gunther.....Their careers are almost indentical in wins, losses, playoff apperances, and championships......However Dave is considered a "Legend"

I will not throw Rich under the bus, because he was a friend and I feel a Great Coach with Integerity and Morals.....His teams may not have been as sucessfull as any of us would have liked, and he did indeed miss Greg Mac, but you have to admit it was enjoyable watching the likes of Kyle Behrens, Tom Jacobson, Hunter Reinke, Jerome Beasley and the most exciting couple of games against the storied University of Kansas even tho we lost by 30 were fun, enjoyable, and exciting to watch, all of which happened in his last 5 years at UND....

Everyone that is disapointed in UND basketball, under Rich, Should compare stats with the years under Dave Gunther.....Their careers are almost indentical in wins, losses, playoff apperances, and championships......However Dave is considered a "Legend"

No doubt Rich had many strengths: tactical coaching strategy didn't seem to be one of them. Gunther arguably accomplished more with less talent (although his recruiting ability and style seemed to fade) while simultaneously playing higher level schools. Around 70 or 80 current DI schools were DII in the 70's and 80's, including playoff opponents of UND like Wisc-Green Bay, N Iowa, Old Dominion, Tenn-Chattanooga. Gunther's win total was not peppered with nearly as many NAIA or DAC teams.

Glas is a great basketball mind and he did architect probably the best 4-5 year period of UND basketball in history, but to me he is also to blame for running one of the top two most storied NCC basketball programs directly into the ground in this decade.

I hardly call his last five years with a record of 86-58, a couple of third place NCC finishes, one playoff apperance, and becoming UND's all time winningest Mens Basketball Coach, running a program into the ground......?

Include the 99-2000, and the 2000-01 seasons he looks even better...?