SiouxSports.com Forum

Student seating controversy settled

jimdahl

What is college hockey all about? Its about the kids, Who cares about the people in the corperate suites if its to much of a bother don't renew your lease, someone else will. The students are great, they are the only ones making any noise, lets make the student section bigger! Lets put them all in the bottom section and lets move the band down where they belong. And about the music, what has happened there? I mean the earlier games the place was rocking now it puts you to sleep, i mean watching videos between the whistle make every one quiet. I think that they are scared the older people don't like the load music. But in my opinion thats what gets the place rocking. The team needs the fans excited and making lots of noise so lets get going. Turn the volume up and let the student stand, cheer or what ever they do to get the players going. Maybe then we will have home ice advantage again.

I think the students (or at least their leaders) chose wisely to retain the current seating.  Why?  You need to be near the penalty box and directly across from the opposing team's bench.  It is the best location for disrupting the opposing players' focus.  You also get on camera more often.

I'm amazed that several students still complain about the issue.  They're given primo real estate in the finest facility in the world to watch one of the best college hockey programs in the world for a small fraction of the season ticket price and yet continue to demand that they be allowed to act like they're in a frat house keg room.  Who cares about the corporate suites?  You can bet the REA does.  That revenue is critical to the longevity of the arena operations.  And, no, leases will not be renewed if it is known that for $30K/year the view will be obstructed by a bunch of foul-mouthed morons.  Does this upset you?  Do you think it unfair?  If so, then you have a lot to learn about the really real world.

One of the greatest aspects of the arena design is that it is so intimate.  Because of that, there is no location in the lower bowl that would support a standing group of people without obstructing someone else's view.  Sections 106, 107 would still block suites in that area.  The simple fact is, there is NO lower-bowl solution that allows standing full time.  None.

It comes down to whether or not you want to support your team.  Stand, and you will find yourself watching college hockey in the dorm's TV room.  Sit, and you will endear yourself with all those around you and enjoy great Fighting Sioux hockey live, right in front of you.

As for the atmosphere.  It will come.  Lot's of new fans just getting to know the game of hockey.  Couple that with some of the worst performances by a Fighting Sioux team in decades and you have crickets.  The old Ralph would have been suffering just the same-- with the exception that there would have been more empty seats.

I can't wait to see a classic Sioux come-from-behind win in this place.  It will be deafening.

taz

You are right that standing in 106 and 107 would still block suite holders views, so block off a couple rows at the top.  They already block off a couple of rows in 108 and 109, even though we are sitting most of the time.  I guess because they don't trust us to sit. ;)  If we are going to have seats blocked off so as not to obstruct suite holders, lets go somewhere that we can stand.  ;)  It could work, but now it is too late.  Oh well.

Being near the penalty box does kick butt. ;)  I hate when they bring security down to protect the player in the box, though.

I read somewhere that the suite floor level in the REA was an oversight.

At the X in St. Paul the floor in the suites is a couple of feet higher relative to the last row of seats in the lower bowl than it is in REA. That's why standing students are a problem.

Remember, students need to be next to the penalty box so next year they can toss Jeff "locked in a crapper in the Minneapolis airport" Finger of SCSU a roll of "White Cloud." ;)

I read somewhere that the suite floor level in the REA was an oversight.

At the X in St. Paul the floor in the suites is a couple of feet higher relative to the last row of seats in the lower bowl than it is in REA. That's why standing students are a problem.

Remember, students need to be next to the penalty box so next year they can toss Jeff "locked in a crapper in the Minneapolis airport" Finger of SCSU a roll of "White Cloud." ;)

The suite level was definitely not an oversight.

Geez Taz, do you work for the arena or what?  Your last post sounded like it was right out of the corporate brochure.  God forbid someone question the "perfection" that is the new REA. ;)

BTW, I love the arena.  I've seen a game from the suite level and its a great seat.  But its not the old REA, and it is certainly not as intimate.  5,000 extra seats and a suite level prevent that.