SiouxSports.com Forum

Big news in the wind

PCM

guess there is a announcement coming tomorrow at 1 PM jsut got an emial...dk if its a press conference or what or even what its about but im just speculating that bunning is gone....

Well, it's 1:00 pm on the day after that post.

Where's the press conference so I can watch on the web?

Or is it just an announcement from the University?

Anyone have a link?

Somebody, anybody, give me a public, on-the-record statement so this can go to bed. I have a hockey season to be more concerned with coming soon.

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about if UND has to keep firing their AD it calls into question the process and/or the people involved in the process of hiring an AD. Why does this keep happening?

We should all now give TRIOUXPER and fs1 credit for being right about this whole situation. It will make them feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :sad:

Why does what keep happening? AD's being fired? I can't think of an AD that was fired (in the last couple decades anyway)

Please share your wisdom with us.

When I say "UND," I'm including faculty, staff, alumni, students, boosters and, in this case, Sioux sports fans. In other words, the entire university and everyone associated with it.

Who did you think I was talking about?

When I say "UND," I'm including faculty, staff, alumni, students, boosters and, in this case, Sioux sports fans. In other words, the entire university and everyone associated with it.

How is this I AM UND :sad:

You said UND, hence we thought you were referring to the institution / administration. If I make a statement about the Minnesota Vikings have a history of handling coaches poorly, I wouldn't be referring to the fans, the boosters, the former players, etc. I'd be referring to the organization if I just said Minnesota Vikings and my guess is that is how many people would take it similar to your reference of UND.

You said UND, hence we thought you were referring to the institution / administration.

I was referring to UND as the "institution," which is all inclusive.

If it had been my intention to to blame UND's administration only, that's what I would have said.

How about if UND has to keep firing their AD it calls into question the process and/or the people involved in the process of hiring an AD. Why does this keep happening?

We should all now give TRIOUXPER and fs1 credit for being right about this whole situation. It will make them feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :sad:

First of all, since when did you start agreeing with PCM? Secondly, the use of a smiley emoticon would tell everyone else that is was having some fun with PCM (hell, I'm sure he picked up on it.) Thirdly, I've been right about more things than you could ever have a fantasy about, and never have I felt the need for anyone to make me feel warm and fuzzy about them.

From the Fargo Forum:

GRAND FORKS, N.D. (AP) - University of North Dakota officials say that athletic director Tom Buning has taken a leave of absence.

UND spokesman Peter Johnson says Buning's duties will be handled by members of the current athletic department staff. No further details were made available.

The 47-year-old Buning was hired in June of 2005 after four years as associate athletic director at Army. He's an Army lieutenant colonel and a 1981 West Point graduate.

Tom Buning UND athletic director

Buning replaced Roger Thomas after Thomas resigned to become commissioner of the North Central Conference.

UND is moving from NCAA Division II athletics to Division I beginning next school year.

From the Fargo Forum:

GRAND FORKS, N.D. (AP) - University of North Dakota officials say that athletic director Tom Buning has taken a leave of absence.

UND spokesman Peter Johnson says Buning's duties will be handled by members of the current athletic department staff. No further details were made available.

The 47-year-old Buning was hired in June of 2005 after four years as associate athletic director at Army. He's an Army lieutenant colonel and a 1981 West Point graduate.

Tom Buning UND athletic director

Buning replaced Roger Thomas after Thomas resigned to become commissioner of the North Central Conference.

UND is moving from NCAA Division II athletics to Division I beginning next school year.

Ahhh.....leave of absence. The politically correct term so that each party can save face. The result of the conversation that ends with, "You're fired.................You can't fire me because I quit." "Oh OK, you are / I am taking a leave of absence."

It's convenient for both parties.

Gee I hope you are right that is the reason. If there is something medical with him or a family matter it would be kinda of cold. If it is was fire/I quit situation fine rip away, but untill you know why not give him the benefit.

Ahhh.....leave of absence. The politically correct term so that each party can save face. The result of the conversation that ends with, "You're fired.................You can't fire me because I quit." "Oh OK, you are / I am taking a leave of absence."

In my experiences, a LoA (when not directly requested by someone for personal or professional reasons) results from:

"We're choosing to separate our employment relationship."

"You're firing me?"

"If you choose to look at it so abruptly, yes."

"I've done nothing wrong. I'm going to sue you."

"If that's your choice, fine, but if it is we're putting you on leave until the matter is resolved. Think it over."

And it gets ugly from there. :sad:

Do I know for sure what happened here?

I'm not Tom Buning's physician, nor am I his boss.

In my experiences, a LoA (when not directly requested by someone for personal or professional reasons) results from:

"We're choosing to separate our employment relationship."

"You're firing me?"

"If you choose to look at it so abruptly, yes."

"I've done nothing wrong. I'm going to sue you."

"If that's your choice, fine, but if it is we're putting you on leave until the matter is resolved. Think it over."

And it gets ugly from there. :sad:

Another plausible cause for the "leave of absence" term. With Buning's personality, probably a very likely cause since I'm sure he didn't / isn't going to leave easily. In any event, Buning won't be back.

I'm a little surprised that nobody has commented on this part of the Herald article:

This makes a little more sense now. With the all the rumblings going on Harmeson didn't report a fire even though there was plenty of smoke.

Edit: The pun regarding the reference to fire was unintended.

Edited by GeauxSioux

I don't see litigation resulting from this. Buning will get paid for whatever the remaining term of his contract is. Hopefully the rumored "probationary" extension of his contract through the end of 2007 turns out to be true. Otherwise, UND will presumably be on the hook until June 2008.

So was the manner in which Hakstol's contract negotiations progressed (or didn't progress and the issues that arose during those negotiations) the straw that broke the camel's back? Or was that simply a mere culmination of events.........women's hockey coach hiring process, Lennon flirting with a new job resulting from his relationship with Buning, Hakstol's contract negotiations, p**sing off alumni / boosters..........that lead to Buning's demise?

Or was it just the small, uninformed minority over here on SS.com and they should be the ones to blame? :sad: