SiouxSports.com Forum

Big news in the wind

PCM

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Herald is now running it, but they're painting it as a story about a rumor instead of a story that Buning is out.

I'm a little surprised to see a news organization run an admitted rumor on which they couldn't get anyone involved to comment, but for those who like links, there's one.

I am a little surprised, too. But a rumor of this magnitude is "news" so I guess they are compelled to print the story.

if this is zach budish commiting to und i will personaly jump up and down with joy and then expect und to match michagan's 9 national titles in the next 3 years because und already has an amazing returning core this year and a nice incoming group for 08 but if budish is the commitment then 09 looks like a 3 peat im calling it now.

nope, not yet at least :D

The Herald article has been expanded to include more information, including...

How Buning and his staff met budget has rubbed some the wrong way. He is an occasional target on message boards. Some of those anonymous writers insisted Buning had been placed on probation.
I wonder which message board they are talking about. :sad:

I'm a little surprised that nobody has commented on this part of the Herald article:

But Phil Harmeson, UND's vice president of general administration, says Buning has not been fired.

"He has not been terminated," Harmeson said Saturday morning. "We're continuing to evaluate what we do at the University of North Dakota, and I have no further comment."

Harmeson also said Buning has not resigned.

I was never a big Bill Clinton fan, but I find him very engaging and interesting to listen to when he speaks. Bill was on Larry King the other night, and Larry asked him if he's enjoying the pickle that Sen. Larry Craig, Idaho, is in considering Craig was one of the leading attackers against Clinton on the Ms. Lewinsky affair (no pun intended). I expected Bill to smirk and comment on how he's enjoying seeing someone getting what they gave. Larry certainly seemed to want that reaction.

Instead, Bill just looked down and said that he doesn't know any more than anyone else about the situation, only what he's read in the paper, and that we all need to remember that whatever happened, a man's life was currently crashing down around him. Clinton said he'd (Bill) made a bad mistake and now Craig was having to deal with something very similar. No, Clinton said, he wouldn't take any enjoyment from Craig's situation. He wouldn't to see that happen to anyone, even those who had attacked him.

The "Big News" proves one thing that this board dicussed at length a while back, should insider information be kept inside the circle? I really believe this latest event was to not be announced til Monday, and the only people who actually know how it came down have to be the President, Mr. Harmenson, and Tom Bunning. It is now apparent that they could not keep it to themselves, or their inner circle of friends. :sad:

He was at Cedar City last weekend doing his usual push ups.

Those were quotes from someone else with contacts within UND, the football broadcaster, to point out the fact that he was missing from the game and other events, thus almost making the rumor almost 100% true Bunning will not be the AD at UND much longer.

Those who don't see the reading between the line, also think Janet Jackson & Justin Timberlake's "nipple slip" was actually a warddrobe malfunction. :sad:

Those were quotes from someone else with contacts within UND, the football broadcaster, to point out the fact that he was missing from the game and other events, thus almost making the rumor almost 100% true Bunning will not be the AD at UND much longer.

I don't disbelieve nor yet believe the rumor. I was just pointing out, as was petey23, that the AD has been at sporting events per usual. :sad:

I guess i'm in the minority here in thinking that this would be a bad thing for UND? I feel like Bunning has done a great job here while at UND. I would feel much more comfortable with an AD who has D1 experience during this transition, rather than a local who doesn't. Nothing personal to the locals, but the d1 experience would come in handy with scheduling and conference affilitian. If this is the case though, best of luck Bunning, at least one member of the sioux community will be sad to see you go.

I think this excerpt from Bakken's blog tells me all I need to know about why Buning probably needs to go:

But there were coaches and other athletic department folks that I highly respect who felt he had to go.

In terms of the dI experience thing, I'm not concerned about it. UND has plenty of people who are very familiar with dI rules and regulations because we've been dealing with them for years (hockey). In terms of scheduling, there's no shortage of connections, e.g. Jones and his Iowa/Alford/Jacobson/Glas/McDermott connections; Lennon being known and respected throughout college football, etc. We'll be fine there. Give me somebody who is a great fundraiser, and somebody at his right hand who can be the numbers person, and things will be better than they've been in recent years IMO.

I think this excerpt from Bakken's blog tells me all I need to know about why Buning probably needs to go:

In terms of the dI experience thing, I'm not concerned about it. UND has plenty of people who are very familiar with dI rules and regulations because we've been dealing with them for years (hockey). In terms of scheduling, there's no shortage of connections, e.g. Jones and his Iowa/Alford/Jacobson/Glas/McDermott connections; Lennon being known and respected throughout college football, etc. We'll be fine there. Give me somebody who is a great fundraiser, and somebody at his right hand who can be the numbers person, and things will be better than they've been in recent years IMO.

I think its a great day in UND athletics when the administration listens to its coaches & fans. They are actually doing things to get things done at UND and not "waiting" around for a lame duck director to quit...etc.

The free flow of truthful information is powerful.