SiouxSports.com Forum

Negotiated Settlement?

GeauxSioux

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't spend close to, or over, $1 million dollars on lawyers to agree on a settlement like this. It's just inexcusable. You don't fight for 2 years and then agree to give up the name in the next 3. It just doesn't make sense. Hopefully there will be some vote amongst the members tomorrow and realize how silly this settlement agreement would be.

Another thing: What does removal of some of the Sioux logos in the REA mean? Every other section? Every Other Row? No Logo at center ice?

If UND agrees to that, it better have an inside track on getting the tribes support.

Maybe they don't want to spend another couple of million. Donors no matter how wealthy, have limits, especially with the outcome uncertain. While you have every right to have a strong opinion, the board has pragmatic concerns as well as personal opinions.

When it comes to crooked politicians, tribal councils have everyone beat. I say take the offer, buy off a few people on the council (which will be easy). Get that agreement signed, put it in a safe deposit box, and keep the name forever!!!!!!!!

You have never done business in Chicago, they do political corruption as an art form.

Your post is a perfect example of making any solution more difficult rather than easier. Thanks for helping.

This could be good. UND and the tribes will have 3 years for dialogue and hopefully meaningful discussions about the name and what we can do for both sides to be comfortable. I hope both sides come to the table.

"He told Stenehjem he did not expect his tribal council to change its position strongly opposing the continued use of the nickname.

His Horse is Thunder said Pearson echoed his own position during their meeting with Stenehjem."

http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/i...ection=homepage

At least your being positive. :crazy:

"He told Stenehjem he did not expect his tribal council to change its position strongly opposing the continued use of the nickname.

His Horse is Thunder said Pearson echoed his own position during their meeting with Stenehjem."

<a href="http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/i...ection=homepage" target="_blank">http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/i...ection=homepage</a>

At least your being positive. :crazy:

That is what I mean about both sides coming to the table. If His Horse is Thunder doesn't listen to UND's stance and THEN make a decision then this whole thing is a sham.

Boy, It is about time they get rid of their racist name. Sioux are people, not mascots.....waiting for the brilliant reply from a UND fan who will try to compare a dog, in the bulldogs, to a human being.

If you argue that the name is racist, you also need to take this view on the other names. For example, the NCAA used Wisconsin as an example. At first glance it appears that the name is because of an animal but it in reference to workers.

The team's nickname, 'Badgers,' was borrowed from the state of Wisconsin. The territory was dubbed the 'Badger State,' not because of animals in the region, but rather an association with lead miners in the 1820s. Prospectors came to the state looking for minerals. Without shelter in the winter, the miners had to 'live like badgers' in tunnels burrowed into hillsides.
From

Likewise, the use of Vikings, Cardinals, Saints, Miners, Battling Bishops, Britons, etc. should have this rule applied as well as they are all groups of people. Somehow people are only selective. In addition you then get into the animal rights issues. And if the use of various names such as Sioux are considered racist, than so you must also look at names such as Cowboys as potentially being racist as well. There is no end to what people can find to be racist.

I think it is more racist to follow a policy of ignoring and believing that the history and life of these people don't exist where the only time you hear or read about them, if you are lucky and the names haven't been lost to history, is in the history books than using them as examples of groups of people who have succeeded against various odds. The use of the name keeps these people at least in people's thoughts.

When it comes to crooked politicians, tribal councils have everyone beat. I say take the offer, buy off a few people on the council (which will be easy). Get that agreement signed, put it in a safe deposit box, and keep the name forever!!!!!!!!

Not quite to your response, but I do think UND might have to do some sort of buyoff.

That is what I mean about both sides coming to the table. If His Horse is Thunder doesn't listen to UND's stance and THEN make a decision then this whole thing is a sham.

This settlement if true is a sham. If they are going to drop the name lets get it over with. I don't want to hear this crap for three more years. Ron his horse is thunder has made up his mind. Pearson just doesn't give a s&!t about us or the name. Nobody else will stand up and fight for us...

This is crap.

I think it's only fair to point out that the Forum printed this from an "anonymous source." This could all be BS and it could fly in the face of the Forum tomorrow. They didn't waste any time getting it to all of the Forum owned papers, as the Dickinson Press's website has it, and even spells the word "Sioux" wrong. Hopefully I'm right, but I am very nervous.

We've got a judge that has a closet full of Sioux jerseys, we have home "court" advantage, the NCAA was stupid enough to let us have the trial here, and we settle for 3 more years of bickering!!

True, we won't know how this will turn out for another 3 years. Things could be great. But at the moment this really surprises me that the settlement is "a cooling off period". What were the last 20 years!

im sorry. i didnt think and haave had one too many windsor waters tonite and just in anger to this bullsheet that is happenin to all of us.

I think you need help :crazy: Anybody got the phone # for AA?

Correct......statements like this are part of the reason as to why this is as big of a problem as it is. Please, think before you type. :crazy:

I can kinda see this point. We live very much in a "what have you done for me lately" society. Why not ask the tribes that question and point out the numbers more to them and show them in discussions that as easy as we fund these programs, that funding can also go away. I am not saying it should be I can see that point.

We've got a judge that has a closet full of Sioux jerseys, we have home "court" advantage, the NCAA was stupid enough to let us have the trial here, and we settle for 3 more years of bickering!!

True, we won't know how this will turn out for another 3 years. Things could be great. But at the moment this really surprises me that the settlement is "a cooling off period". What were the last 20 years!

3 years should be ample time to put an arrangement together to buy the tribal council votes and move forward.

If you argue that the name is racist, you also need to take this view on the other names. For example, the NCAA used Wisconsin as an example. At first glance it appears that the name is because of an animal but it in reference to workers.

The team's nickname, 'Badgers,' was borrowed from the state of Wisconsin. The territory was dubbed the 'Badger State,' not because of animals in the region, but rather an association with lead miners in the 1820s. Prospectors came to the state looking for minerals. Without shelter in the winter, the miners had to 'live like badgers' in tunnels burrowed into hillsides.
From

Likewise, the use of Vikings, Cardinals, Saints, Miners, Battling Bishops, Britons, etc. should have this rule applied as well as they are all groups of people. Somehow people are only selective. In addition you then get into the animal rights issues. And if the use of various names such as Sioux are considered racist, than so you must also look at names such as Cowboys as potentially being racist as well. There is no end to what people can find to be racist.

I think it is more racist to follow a policy of ignoring and believing that the history and life of these people don't exist where the only time you hear or read about them, if you are lucky and the names haven't been lost to history, is in the history books than using them as examples of groups of people who have succeeded against various odds. The use of the name keeps these people at least in people's thoughts.

As a Bison fan, I personally don't care if UND keeps or loses their nickname. It really have an affect on me one way or the other. That being said, the argument regarding logos/macots of other people groups or animals has to stop.

The reason that animals are not in play is because there has never been an animal that felt bad because of the use of them as a mascot. As far as the other people groups, Vikings, Cardinals, Saints, etc.... Outside of the Fighting Irish, I can't think of any mascot that refers to the mascot in a negative way (i.e. "fighting"). Another things is that most of these names are either not a group of people that exist today OR they are not specific to one specific group of people...

While I believe that most Sioux tribal members don't have anything against the Fighting Sioux logo, I am sure that there are some that are offended.

Once a Viking or a "Battling Bishop" gets offended by a nickname then they should be included.

It shouldn't take a pay-off, it should not take a threat, it should be something they want to do. We are all North Dakotans.

Go Fighting Sioux!

I think most of them do. Especially when you consider all of the SCIENTIFIC polling that has been done regarding the subject. The silent majority on the reservations need to step forward on this.