SiouxSports.com Forum

Great Lakes Tourney

SiouxperFan

The game is on channel 636 at 3:00pm

It should be fun to watch...especially since the Red Wings just won there tonight.

I predict some shakeups in the lines.

Skarp, Bayda, Massen

Bocho, Noterman, Spies

Connelly, Canady, Rory

Fournier, Hale, Palmo

and Brandt between the pipes.

We will see tomorrow.

I doubt that Blais will change too much from the SLU series, since it was their first sweep since October.  Brandt should get both starts, unless he plays poorly vs Michigan.

For a prediction, I'm going with UND tomorrow 3-2.  No reason why I expect them to win - you can never tell this season.  I guess its that Michigan has not played the tough schedule that UND has so far.

The only comparable team Michigan has beat is Wisconsin (at home).  I hope my logic holds true out there tomorrow on the ice.

Go Sioux!

Yes, the Sioux should be disappointed if they lose today.  MI is also a very young team like the Sioux, and are missing a number of their young players.  Imagine if the Sioux were to have lost Schneider, Jones, Fournier and Bochenski.  We'd be in tough shape today.

A win should be expected today.

I don't think Massen is going to be on the first line today.  If memory serves, Blais commented that he thought Skarp and Bayda were playing real well together and wanted to get a center to play with them.  It was either them or Bayda and Bochenski.  I can't remember who he commented on.  He would like to put Lundbohm with them.  I predict Spiewak will be centering the first line of Skarp and Bayda today.

I'm looking forward to seeing who is on the ice.  in the Postgame of the last St. Larry game, Blais had said the team will have conditioning tests done the following Tuesday, and then would go on Christmas break, and immediately on return from break would have conditioning tests done again to see if anyone "fell down" over the holiday.  He said he fully expected every player to enjoy some time off but that they must keep up their conditioning over break.

If there are any surprises in the line-ups today I would suspect it is due to a failure to keep up their conditioning over break.  This is just my guess.

Dagies,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Skarp is centering Bayda, and Dean was looking for a right handed right wing to finish all (or at least some) of the chances Skarp and Bayda are creating. He dreamed a bit in wishing he could put Whitey on the right wing (wouldn't we all like to see that this year?).

And, I'd agree, Michigan has not played all that well either, and since they're missing their best players, it would be another giant step backwards to lose this game.

Finally, I get to see something from the extra I've paid directtv for Fox Sportsnet. Hope the Sioux make it worth my bucks.

(Edited by sprig at 10:43 am on Dec. 28, 2001)

(Edited by sprig at 10:44 am on Dec. 28, 2001)

Mazurak hurt his knee in the WI? series?  He has a sprained tendon or something like that.   I think the prognosis was for him to be out about 6 weeks.  That would have got him back mid Jan though I read somewhere he was hoping to be back by the MN series.  That was very optimistic.

Sioux Win, Sioux Win, SIOOOOOOOUUXXX WIN, with a goal by David Hale (2nd Goal of the season) in over-time. I believe this is Blaiser's first win over the Wolverines since he took over the helm at UND.

Big win for the boys tonight, now on hopefully to play Ryan Miller and the Michigan State Spartans. CHARACTER WIN TONIGHT...

I hope this is the begining of some good things to come in the future... Brandt plays ok stopping about 90% of the shots he faced...

(Edited by Goon at 6:08 pm on Dec. 28, 2001)

This game could be HUGE! It has to go a long ways towards the lessons of learning how to win the game. As the Tims said, how fitting that David Hale scores the winning goal after playing a less than stellar game to that point.

Brandt struggled with the simpler shots today. Two of the goals scored by Michigan didn't hit the back of the net. But he did make some great saves.  He's a freshman and he'll learn that he has to pay attention ALL THE TIME and that he should not SLUMP TO THE ICE after allowing a goal.

By the way, did anyone catch the interview with Justin Duberman? He had lots of good things to say about Siembida. He said the kid is going to impress.

Impressed with the Sioux team defense when the game was tied or they trailed, but they really went soft with the lead. Played very tight to their man when tied or trailing, but gave a lot of room with the lead. Like they were scared of getting beat. Need to keep the team D solid the way they played in the first period.

They were outplaying Michigan big time until they got the lead.

Brandt made some big saves, especially on the Mich powerplay in both regualtion and OT, but let in softies 5 on 5.

Got to get RW production from whomever plays with Skarperud and Bayda. They work their tails off on the forecheck and create great chances for they RW, who cannot find the back of the net. Same for Spiewak and Notermann, need some frosh wingers to step up soon.

Team doesn't look quite ready to compete against the best yet. Special teams do not look good, rarely get set up on the PP and rarely out of our end on the PK.

Good win nevertheless.

Tim Okeefee said that Josh Siembida is supposed to start tomorrow night. Should be a good game I hope. I would really like to see the New Goalie do well tomorrow night.

Good win for the Fighting Sioux tonight as they win 5-4 in over time.

Can't wait to see whether Siembida can step into a college uniform and take the leading role right away.  If so, that would be huge for this team.

Tomorrow will likely be a goaltending dual, so I hope Siembida is ready!  He's going up against the best, if MSU wins tonight.  

However, MSU was anything but impressive offensively last season vs UND.  They kept trying to pass the puck 100 feet to the corner of the blue line!  It never worked and it is not the kind of puck movement that wins championships.

Go Sioux.

Quote: from sprig on 6:27 pm on Dec. 28,

Got to get RW production from whomever plays with Skarperud and Bayda. They work their tails off on the forecheck and create great chances for they RW, who cannot find the back of the net. Same for Spiewak and Notermann, need some frosh wingers to step up soon.

Team doesn't look quite ready to compete against the best yet. Special teams do not look good, rarely get set up on the PP and rarely out of our end on the PK.

What game were you watching????

I thought the RW, MASSEN played great.  He set up several plays....ie   The game winner.  Sometimes good players are more worried about winning the game and not just their stats!!!   You need to watch the whole game not just who puts the puck in the net!!!!!!!

Good luck tomorrow night    GO SIOUX

Nice win for the Sioux, albeit it gave ulcers when I heard they p!ssed away another lead going into the third.  Hopefully, they learn from the lessons tonight and it gives them some needed confidence going forward.

I honestly can't remember the last time we actually beat Michigan.  Did we lose to them at the Icebreaker last season?  

Tied Mich. after 5 min OT@ the icebreker. No Shoot-out, We played in the Consolation game.

Great win for the Sioux. Start climbing the rankings in the 2nd. half.

Can't wait to watch the Championship game on the dish tommorrow.(One of the better investments I made).

Keep the faith all you wavering Sioux fans. Good times will be back.

No wavering here, just honest talk.  Congrats to the Sioux on a gutsy win.  This game not only showed character that Dean has talked about in some previous losses, but also the will to somehow scratch out the "W", which has been lacking in game like this until now.

Siembida will get what every kid dreams of tomorrow - the chance to jump right into a big game on his debut.  Should be interesting.

Three wins in a row on the road is a vast improvement for this team, depleted Michigan or not.  And doing it with two of the best players injured is a big deal.  Congrats Sioux and go get 'em tomorrow!

Probably doesn't hurt that Massen played on the top line as per his point production.  Good to see him contributing.  Also good to see Fournier get a couple more assists too.

I'm cautiously optimistic about yesterdays game.  I have to be careful here because all I could see were scoring updates but couldn't listen or watch the game.  But it seemed so similar to recent games.  Other team comes out with lead, Sioux play well and gain lead, Sioux lose lead in 3rd.  Only this time they found a way to win in OT.  They deserved that.

I just hope they can find a way to put a team away.  It sounds like they played a pretty good game yesterday overall.  But lets face it, MI was without a number of their good players, missing more than the Sioux are missing.  And we barely pulled this one out.

IF Siembida is going to play tonite it will be interesting to see how he does.  He's going to get thrown right into the fire, that's for sure.  Let's hope he can handle that kind of pressure.  It's a tought spot to be put in, but like Tom Kelly, I like that Blais is going to throw the new guy right in, so they don't sit on the sidelines and get themselves psyched out.

Good luck tonite Sioux.  Keep up the aggressive play, and keep it for 60 minutes.  Protect your goaltender.

I thought Siembida played good not great tonight. He was probably a little nervous. I think one of his better assets is his poise. I've watched him in 20 games this year and this kid doesn't break. Last goal was kind of weak but you won't see that very often. Lets take this momentum to the twin cities and kick some gopher ass. See you guys at Grandmas. Congrats to UND on a Siouxper tourney!