SiouxSports.com Forum

New Logo

SiouxMD

OK...not that we have to hash this up anymore than it already has, but I was on the website here when my girlfriend looked over and saw the logo, and just laugher her butt off as she thought it was some chick with a flower in her hair.

Which now it pretty much sums it up for me...the site definatley needs a bit more of a masculine logo.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't posted in this thread in a while, so probably ought to give an update on the logo.

I'm not overly concerned that some people have said "eh, not my style". I recognize that it is somewhat avant-garde, and won't be loved by everyone. I regret each person who doesn't like it, but acknowledge that finding something that's everyone's favorite is unattainable.

However, as previously mentioned, I remain quite concerned about the recurring dislike of the androgyny. A noticeable percentage of people's initial reaction is negative based on a perception of femininity. That's a fundamental flaw that letting people "get used to it" won't overcome. I expect a consistent percentage of people to have a similar reaction as they are newly exposed to it going forward, and that's not good for the site or its fans.

Before choosing this one, I commissioned a dozen variations on half a dozen distinct themes. They range from the relatively neutral (ornamentation on the text "SiouxSports") to completely different style Indian heads. I think the former is far less interesting but unlikely to be hated by anyone, while the latter will draw more "not my style, again" reactions but is far more interesting. I'm pondering if I want to go down that path again :D

I'm considering my options, but some change soon is possible and I will keep you all informed. Rest assured, I will keep masculinity concerns in mind ;)

Stick with some kind of Indian logo.
I didn't mean to promise any specific change. :D For example, I've also had discussions with a designer and an artist on the possibility of making the existing logo more distinctly masculine, as I personally remain rather fond of the concept.

My real point in posting was to reassure people that I am still reading this thread, taking their concerns seriously, and continuing to ponder the issue.

If you're committed to the logo with some changes, I suggest doing something about the feathers and streaming earrings. The feathers, as someone else pointed out, definitely have a 'Hawaiian flowers' look, and the streamers coming out of the ears is comical to say the least. I like the logo above as well.

I don't think the intention is to open this up to suggestions on different logos. If the current logo could be made to look a bit more masculine, I'd be fine with that.

just my take on it. i dont like the logo, that doesnt mean jim cares or has to change it as its his board and does a hell of a job with it, just dont like it

I actually like the logo. As a webmaster myself I find it very professional looking. It's clean-cut, simple, and it represents what SiouxSports is. I like it because it gives the place an individual look. I'm sick of going to other sport-fan websites and they have very poor low quality images of there team's logo with some text of there site title that ends up horrible looking since it's part of the low quality image. It's like they have been using MS Paint and not Photoshop.

It's a good logo Jim, don't change it. :D

I'm saying this for me as much as anyone, but we shouldn't think Jim needs to please us.

I'm not saying Jim needs to please us, but he did ask for our opinions in another thread that was started last May. My opinion is, I don't like the new logo. I like the one that was posted above by AZSIOUX.

I'm not saying Jim needs to please us, but he did ask for our opinions in another thread that was started last May. My opinion is, I don't like the new logo. I like the one that was posted above by AZSIOUX.

I know that I am probably in the minority, but I don't like the one posted above by AZSIOUX - I find it to be far too derivative.

I know that I am probably in the minority, but I don't like the one posted above by AZSIOUX - I find it to be far too derivative.

I agree. When I see the picture of the one AZSIOUX posted, the first thought that comes to my mind is Florida State, not UND. But I'm a sports junkie so maybe my point of view is irrelevant.

I agree. When I see the picture of the one AZSIOUX posted, the first thought that comes to my mind is Florida State, not UND. But I'm a sports junkie so maybe my point of view is irrelevant.

I thought the same thing. Plus, I don't like the way some of the letters are covered up by the spear tip.