SiouxSports.com Forum

New Logo

SiouxMD

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks.

I should note, there's a lot happening behind the scenes on the site over the next day or so, causing it to be down a little bit (mostly in the evening / night). It's not all bad, in that if you catch it down, you get a sneak preview of the future :blush:

I don't like it. IMHO, even the worst logo from SS.com members was better than this one. There were some really good ones posted, too bad one of them didn't make the cut.

Oh well, this is only my opinion. Many others undoubtedly will disagree.

edit: It's only the logo I don't like. The new format is awesome.

I don't like it. IMHO, even the worst logo from SS.com members was better than this one.
No worries, I appreciate the feedback. As I've hinted at in some other threads, I definitely anticipate a fair amount of strong negative reaction.

Now's as good a time as any for some background and explanation. I had the artist initially make half a dozen variations, some of which I guided to be text-based like a lot of the community's ideas and some of which I left him to design at his discretion.

When I showed the demos to people, emotions fell in a much narrower band on the text-based logos (e.g. SiouxSports.com with a tomahawk in place of the T). That is, no one hated them and no one thought any was much better than just o.k.

When moving to symbolic logos, a couple of which were Indian-head variations, the reactions were much more wild. Some loved, some hated each one. I must admit to favoring decoration that draws wider emotional reaction.

However, the final decision to go with a symbol came down to a desire to emphasize the tie to the Sioux, rather than to try to emphasize the brand SiouxSports.com. A logo featuring SiouxSports.com conveys being a fan of a web site; a symbol-based logo can convey being a fan of the Sioux.

As to choosing this particular symbol-based logo, it certainly wasn't a unanimous favorite, either. However, the abstract line art had a modern but simplistic symbolism that was generally liked. That said, you're not alone; it was hated by a few, and I certainly expect anything I find myself describing as abstract, line art, and modern to draw more than a few negative reactions. The best I can tell you for now is that it's definitely grown on me over the months. :blush:

I don't like it. IMHO, even the worst logo from SS.com members was better than this one. There were some really good ones posted, too bad one of them didn't make the cut.

Oh well, this is only my opinion. Many others undoubtedly will disagree.

edit: It's only the logo I don't like. The new format is awesome.

I agree mostly with this. I don't agree with it being better than even the worst one by SiouxSports members, but it wasn't along the lines of what I envisioned. The site as a whole is very nice, however. It's just that the logo isn't what I was thinking you were looking for. Other than the feathers, it doesn't look very "Sioux/Native American" like.

Some more thoughts. The home page should perhaps have more of a "home page" feel to it. Like, a bigger logo, or the logo with "siouxsports" written in large font across the middle/top, so that the home page can be distinguished from the rest of the site. Also, instead of calling that section "news," call the "all topics news" section "home."

Having said that though, maybe it is best to leave it the way it is, you don't have to go with the norm. It is very nice.

A little off topic, but did anyone notice that the poll they have asking which opponent will be the Sioux's toughest has the Sioux playing Omaha away. That would make a big difference in my vote, but since they play them at home and South Dakota away, I picked South Dakota.