SiouxSports.com Forum

Women's Hockey

GeauxSioux

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To those of you that have seen Marlee Wheelhouse (sp?) play, is UND missing out on not getting her? She appears to be close to committing to Bemidji State.

She played against my sister in high school. I wasn't impressed...she put up numbers but I thought she was a pretty selfish player..didn't use her teammates... :angry:

I don't think UND is missing out at all.....but it's just my 2 cents! :lol:

She played against my sister in high school. I wasn't impressed...she put up numbers but I thought she was a pretty selfish player..didn't use her teammates... :angry:

I don't think UND is missing out at all.....but it's just my 2 cents! :lol:

Extremely common for talented players in high school. Doesn't mean they won't be a solid player having impact in the college game where the change / adjustment is required and most often accomplished. It's a change most all gifted players have to make when moving on to D-I from high school. Many high school hockey coaches are largely to blame IMO when they have such a player on their roster, and their coaching philosophy is "everybody get the puck to her" in the interest of winning, rather than teaching. Not all HS coaches of course, and some of those players do struggle more than others with the adjustment.

Pony1976:

Any idea who might be the high-powered recruits that UND is rumored to be bringing in?

I don't know much. You may already be aware of these UND recruits...but they're the only ones I'm aware of so far.

Ashley Holmes..............D.........(USA 18s/Alexandria HS).....................Miltona, MN

Alyssa Wiebe................F........(CAN 18s/AM Notre Dame)...............Saskatoon, SK

That's two from the U18 national team rosters of USA & Canada and the obvious talent that got them there. Excellent start.

Pony1976:

Any idea who might be the high-powered recruits that UND is rumored to be bringing in?

Here's another I just heard / read about...in case you didn't already know:

Stephanie Ramsay.........D..........(Calgary Oval X-Treme).........Charlottetown, P.E.I.

Playing against Niagara this weekend! Games are at 7:07pm tonight and tomorrow night... Hope to see some people there!! :silly:

Does anyone know if the games will be on the radio in Fargo?

Hope the Sioux take it to Niagara...always want the WCHA to come out on top vs. CHA, HE & ECAC of course. Niagara is a decent team with some talent. Ashley Riggs is their main sniper...small but very good.

(If she hasn't graduated that is...haven't kept track.)

I went to the game.....and saw some very shotty officiating! :silly:

Refs called 3 "no call" penalties...including one in OT.....niagara had the last four power plays!!

What a waste.....the Sioux gals deserved to win, I thought they were the better team.

Spivey should stick to police work!

The women ended up losing 6-2 :D The officiating was pretty bad tonight. I didn't even know you could get a five minute penalty for slashing.... but we did. And then we got another penalty for body checking so it was a 5 on 3.... although amazingly enough when they checked us they got nothing, but the very next time we touched them we got another penalty. Smaller crowd tonight than usual... but I got to ride on the zamboni!!!!!! :D

The women ended up losing 6-2 :D The officiating was pretty bad tonight. I didn't even know you could get a five minute penalty for slashing.... but we did. And then we got another penalty for body checking so it was a 5 on 3.... although amazingly enough when they checked us they got nothing, but the very next time we touched them we got another penalty. Smaller crowd tonight than usual... but I got to ride on the zamboni!!!!!! :D

I know you liked it haha

I didn't think the girls played too bad the last couple of nights, the officiating is what killed them! They are going to have to STOP with the penalties (same could be said with our men's team) if they want to win some games! There's going to be some tough competition this year...

Would also like to see MORE PEOPLE AT THE GAMES!!! The more people there are, the more fun they are to be at! And they're fun to be at anyways, there's a good group of girls out on the ice! :(

Extremely common for talented players in high school. Doesn't mean they won't be a solid player having impact in the college game where the change / adjustment is required and most often accomplished. It's a change most all gifted players have to make when moving on to D-I from high school. Many high school hockey coaches are largely to blame IMO when they have such a player on their roster, and their coaching philosophy is "everybody get the puck to her" in the interest of winning, rather than teaching. Not all HS coaches of course, and some of those players do struggle more than others with the adjustment.

Being from Crookston and knowing the wheelhouse family she is not a selfish player. Now i am not saying that just because i know them but the current pirate team is LOADED with talent from top to bottom and i believe that she got more assists than goals last year (i know for a fact she got 51 goals). The Pirate girls hockey team plays probably the most unselfish hockey there is and they spread the puck around. But her thing is she is very shy and does not like a big atmosphere, so that is why i believe she went to bemidji state.

I went to the game.....and saw some very shotty officiating! :D

Refs called 3 "no call" penalties...including one in OT.....niagara had the last four power plays!!

What a waste.....the Sioux gals deserved to win, I thought they were the better team.

Spivey should stick to police work!

Comeon now shotty officiating in the WCHA. At least the Sioux didn't get homered by Spivey. :lol:

Being from Crookston and knowing the wheelhouse family she is not a selfish player. Now i am not saying that just because i know them but the current pirate team is LOADED with talent from top to bottom and i believe that she got more assists than goals last year (i know for a fact she got 51 goals). The Pirate girls hockey team plays probably the most unselfish hockey there is and they spread the puck around. But her thing is she is very shy and does not like a big atmosphere, so that is why i believe she went to bemidji state.

You're probably right. I just saw the games against weak teams where she skated most of the game with the puck on her stick. I just thought she could have passed more often in that type of situation. And I also based my opinion of her based on my sister, who played against her.....for someone who is very shy, apparently she liked to chirp (on the ice that is). So I guess my overall opinion of her isn't favorable..but it is just my opinion. Good Luck to her at BSU, I hope she represents Crox well. I also know the coach (Moe). I am impressed with what he's done for the program.....I bet the girls could beat the boys team!