SiouxSports.com Forum

The Women's Hockey Coach, Is It To Late?

fs1

It seems like many here thought Idalski was the wrong pick. Looks like the right pick was made.

Really? Did I miss something? Did the Sioux win a championship?

Last year in Idalski's third season the Sioux women were picked to finish third to last in the preseason WCHA poll. But actually finished in last place with a 4-16-2 record! That's pretty bad when part of the city is located in the state of hockey and you get to recruit players with the finest hockey arena in North America.

The year before that: third to last in the conference.

And before that: Second to last in the conference.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Really? Did I miss something? Did the Sioux win a championship?

Last year in Idalski's third season the Sioux women were picked to finish third to last in the preseason WCHA poll. But actually finished in last place with a 4-16-2 record! That's pretty bad when part of the city is located in the state of hockey and you get to recruit players with the finest hockey arena in North America.

The year before that: third to last in the conference.

And before that: Second to last in the conference.

Um... what part of Grand Forks is located in Minnesota? EGF is a separate city if you ask me. It's like saying Moorhead is a part of North Dakota. Are we still referring to MN as the state of hockey?

And why is that relevant?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

With the Lam sisters and the recruits that are coming in next season (how many Olympians will the Sioux have on their roster next year??), Idalski and Co have certainly shown that they can get coveted recruits.

Now, they just have to turn those recruiting wins into championship wins.

I think they have already shown this season that they can compete with the big dogs in the women's hockey world.

Can they keep that up all season and win some hardware...if not this season...sometime soon? That remains to be seen...

Um... what part of Grand Forks is located in Minnesota? EGF is a separate city if you ask me. It's like saying Moorhead is a part of North Dakota. Are we still referring to MN as the state of hockey?

And why is that relevant?

The "east" grand forks part of the Grand Forks MSA. Yes you are correct EGF is indeed a politically seperate city.

Why is it relevant. Why is it relevant that a lot of people play hockey in the region. It makes it easier to recruit. College players generally prefer to stay close to home. Why does it matter that UND is located in a part of the country that produces some of the best hockey players?

No one expects Alabama Huntsville to be good at hockey. Do you understand why that is?

• Upvote 1

While your allegiance to UND and its athletic teams is to be admired, does it only go as far if someone from UND is hired? Have you been to a womens hockey game in the past 3 years, or ever? I always found it interesting that all the people who "cared" about the women's team and disproved of Idalski's hire, there would have been a lot more people in the stands. For anyone who has supported the team from the beginning, you can see the team has improved immensely. Would Steve have done a better job? We will never know, but why bash a coach (from the comfort of your computer) and not get out there and support the Fighting Sioux womens hockey program?