SiouxSports.com Forum

women's basketball 2007-08

UND92,96

That argument is getting a liitle old. When you're only playing 25 minutes per game..you're not the one losing it on defense...even if you can still score. Look at the stats...sitting Kimbrough isn't working..especially against USD! She does...I'd hope you'd agree...provide offense.

I know these boards tend to bring an overreaction from folks and that's why they exist but lets not lose our minds here. This team has lost twice all to the same team. Perhaps no one is to blame and USD is just better than us. Back in the 90's when it was SU, either team could lose twice and beat the other in the tournament. Don't lose your minds here folks. If Buck can figure out a plan to get USD, he'll do it and if we only beat them once, that'll be enough this year.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know these boards tend to bring an overreaction from folks and that's why they exist but lets not lose our minds here. This team has lost twice all to the same team. Perhaps no one is to blame and USD is just better than us. Back in the 90's when it was SU, either team could lose twice and beat the other in the tournament. Don't lose your minds here folks. If Buck can figure out a plan to get USD, he'll do it and if we only beat them once, that'll be enough this year.

very true..the one at the end is the one that matters

He is retiring from coaching all together. Was at Wyoming b/4 coming back to USD and doesn't to go through all the DI stuff at this point in his life/career.

I can definitely understand his thinking. A dI transition probably wouldn't seem all that appealing to a lot of successful veteran coaches in their 50's or 60's.

Believe me I noticed those teams both losing because it really helps the USD women and their effort to host the regional. I really don't see much of a way now that if USD finished at 12-0 in the NCC that they wouldn't be awarded the regional regardless of what happens in the conference tourneys. USD was #1 before the losses of 2,3, and 4 so I would think they just got some breathing room at the top.

It's my opinion that USD and UND are the two best teams in the region. I am hoping that UND stays at 2 or 3 so the teams wouldn't have to play until the regional final if it came down to it. The only question, is Fort Lewis or Concordia the team to fear the most for a potential semi-final matchup if things hold to form.

USD should be #1 and host. UND should be #2.

I was disappointed to see Bucky not having any fun Sat night. He seems too cranky and that doesn't work well with women. They won by 20 whatever and they didn't seem to be having as much fun as they should . I have thought they have played too tight the last two years. Their play in the finals last year was as bad as I have seen a UND (with that talent ) team play. They seem to be afraid that if they make a mistake they will get benched and you can't play that way. They seem to missing the intangibles they had in the past and that includes playing loose and having fun. The other thing is, that the rest of the league and D1 have definitely closed the talent gap from the glory days of UND/NDSU and occasionaly Augie, SDSU or USD. I didn't see USD play but those that did said they have as much if not more talent than UND. Langen and Kimbrough are very good. They handle the ball well but seem to have lapses on D more often that they should. They need consistent outside shooting by more than one kid and they need to be able to shoot without fear of being benched. Should be fun NCC and regional tourneys.

USD should be #1 and host. UND should be #2.

I was disappointed to see Bucky not having any fun Sat night. He seems too cranky and that doesn't work well with women. They won by 20 whatever and they didn't seem to be having as much fun as they should . I have thought they have played too tight the last two years. Their play in the finals last year was as bad as I have seen a UND (with that talent ) team play. They seem to be afraid that if they make a mistake they will get benched and you can't play that way. They seem to missing the intangibles they had in the past and that includes playing loose and having fun. The other thing is, that the rest of the league and D1 have definitely closed the talent gap from the glory days of UND/NDSU and occasionaly Augie, SDSU or USD. I didn't see USD play but those that did said they have as much if not more talent than UND. Langen and Kimbrough are very good. They handle the ball well but seem to have lapses on D more often that they should. They need consistent outside shooting by more than one kid and they need to be able to shoot without fear of being benched. Should be fun NCC and regional tourneys.

I've been watching the man coach for 20 years and I don't notice any difference; He's nicer now than at anytime I've watched him. He hasn't thrown a jacket in 10 years. The bottom line here is guard play. When his guards make shots, they win. He has big matchup problems with USD, no doubt. They are little and fast. He needs them miss shots and they can't give up layups. Now playing them at home the rest of the way, not sure it will happen.

I've been watching the man coach for 20 years and I don't notice any difference; He's nicer now than at anytime I've watched him. He hasn't thrown a jacket in 10 years. The bottom line here is guard play. When his guards make shots, they win. He has big matchup problems with USD, no doubt. They are little and fast. He needs them miss shots and they can't give up layups. Now playing them at home the rest of the way, not sure it will happen.

Since playing them twice using the usual gameplan really hasn't worked, I almost wonder if Roebuck should try something different, i.e. zone. I know, it's a risk, but I'd rather lose due to a team making 20-footers as opposed to layups. If nothing else, it should neutralize their penetration to a large extent. Zone may not work better, but I doubt it's going to work any worse, either. I don't think I'd try it in the NCC tournament, because that game doesn't really matter anyway, but springing it on them at the regional may not be a bad idea.

I don't know if I would zone a team that loves to slash gaps in a defense and kick to anyone on the perimeter for an open 3. USD is a drive and kick team and zones present gaps to drivers Amber Hegge, Shannon Daly and Jeana Hoffman, what happens is that the zone collapses to cut it off and that results in a dish to a more than capable 3 point shooter on that team. I can't say I agree with this philosophy.

I don't know if I would zone a team that loves to slash gaps in a defense and kick to anyone on the perimeter for an open 3. USD is a drive and kick team and zones present gaps to drivers Amber Hegge, Shannon Daly and Jeana Hoffman, what happens is that the zone collapses to cut it off and that results in a dish to a more than capable 3 point shooter on that team. I can't say I agree with this philosophy.

Well, I never said there weren't risks, but clearly man isn't working all that well, either. :blush: The bottom line is that in order to score enough points to have a chance to win, you need Langen and Kimbrough in there as much as possible. And to make them guard people 15-20 feet from the basket makes no sense. So what's the alternative? Zone. It's the defense you almost to have to use when you don't match up with the opponent. That's why 99% of opponents use it against UND, and have for years.

It seems to me that if UND plays man again, then we can expect lots of layups by USD; lots of free throw attempts; and few turnovers. Those are things that have occurred in both the previous meetings, so there's not much reason to think they won't happen again without a pretty major change in gameplan. Of course, it's still possible that the Sioux could win without changing anything drastically, but IMO the only realistic chance of a different result with no major changes in gameplan is for UND to shoot extremely well (50% or better), and have very few turnovers (12 or fewer).

You can't be serious UND92,96. ZONE - they live and die by the 3 - they would love us playing ZONE. Someone mentioned that Mankato played them zone and they got buried - lost by 23. You love coaching from your computer chair....................

You can't be serious UND92,96. ZONE - they live and die by the 3 - they would love us playing ZONE. Someone mentioned that Mankato played them zone and they got buried - lost by 23. You love coaching from your computer chair....................

Of course I do--I'm undefeated! :whistling:

BTW, apparently they don't live and die by the three, because it's been penetration, getting to the free throw line and an absence of turnovers that have resulted in two wins against UND. What's your brilliant idea for stopping what they've done to go 2-0 vs. the Sioux this year?

Sometimes teams who shoot the ball, like USD, do so when they are in alot of motion. The zone may get them to stand around a little and, maybe, not shoot the ball as well. It wouldn't hurt to have something a guy could throw out there for a few possessions and see what happens. We are 0-2 against them so far.

Since playing them twice using the usual gameplan really hasn't worked, I almost wonder if Roebuck should try something different, i.e. zone. I know, it's a risk, but I'd rather lose due to a team making 20-footers as opposed to layups. If nothing else, it should neutralize their penetration to a large extent. Zone may not work better, but I doubt it's going to work any worse, either. I don't think I'd try it in the NCC tournament, because that game doesn't really matter anyway, but springing it on them at the regional may not be a bad idea.

What do you think Coyote Fan.. :whistling: Just kidding...I have to agree that it is worth a try as others have said, but we may be putting the cart before the horse for the regional...first we both have to win some games to play each other. Nothing is a sure bet as we should know from experience.

It's kind of interesting that the coin phrase live by the 3 and die by the 3 hasn't turned on USD to this point. They haven't been doing much dying with the long range shots. Much of that has to do with USD's defense. I would rather have a team rely on offense from the outside and play stout defense than to be an inside team and not be able to play good defense. Defense is always more important than the stlye of offense IMO. It doesn't hurt that USD if fairly athletic and can drive to the basket. They just don't use much traditional post up play as when Mandy Koupal was with the team. Sometimes shooting a 5-8 foot contested shot is a tougher proposition than making a wide open three pointer. If USD can shoot in that 40% range for three pointers the other team will need to counter by making 60% of their two's. Obvious point but important none the less.

USD has lived to this point with a huge heart and senior leadership. I have yet to see a USD team play as hard and as tough mentally as this team does. The confidence is very high at present for obvious reasons. That being said anything can happen from this point out. I am really not going to predict how far this USD team can take it but I have been very proud of what I have seen this season. They have definately exceeded my expectation considering that they kind of regressed last year when the conference season started but much of that has to do with the NCC etc.

As far as defense I would probably say a high pressure half court defense would be the way to go. I would probably switch up defenses to keep things honest but man to man would probably be my defense of choice. Against a zone USD is going to nail their threes at a decent rate more than having a really off day. It really comes down to intensity on D more than anything regardless of the style.

Just a thought as lots of basketball has to be played yet. Everyone wins out in the regular season. Fighting Sioux somehow win the NCC tourney. Where is the NCR? Sioux and Coyotes have the same record? Something to ponder!!

Roebuck said on the coaches' show last night that it's pretty much a given that the regional will be in Vermillion due to their regular season sweep of UND. I agree. Prior to each getting their second loss last week, both Concordia-St. Paul and Fort Lewis would have had arguments, but probably not now (unless USD were to somehow lose twice this weekend).

I heard that as well however I think that is unfortunate as I don't know if the community of Vermillion is as able to host like a Grand Forks could or even St. Paul for that matter. I mean where is everyone going to stay, and I'm not talking just the fans of which their probably won't be to many but the teams as well- I don't know how many adequate hotels there are in Vermillion- 2 or 3. The regional is an 8 team tournament with 7 coming from out of town. I've always felt that the NCAA often times missed this point, some places just are not set up- community wise to host. Hotels, Restaurants, etc...

I heard that as well however I think that is unfortunate as I don't know if the community of Vermillion is as able to host like a Grand Forks could or even St. Paul for that matter. I mean where is everyone going to stay, and I'm not talking just the fans of which their probably won't be to many but the teams as well- I don't know how many adequate hotels there are in Vermillion- 2 or 3. The regional is an 8 team tournament with 7 coming from out of town. I've always felt that the NCAA often times missed this point, some places just are not set up- community wise to host. Hotels, Restaurants, etc...

Its not that far of a drive from Sioux Falls. While not ideal, it works.

Bring a Tent, Sleeping Bags, Camping Stove, and Toliet Paper.......

Roebuck said on the coaches' show last night that it's pretty much a given that the regional will be in Vermillion due to their regular season sweep of UND. I agree. Prior to each getting their second loss last week, both Concordia-St. Paul and Fort Lewis would have had arguments, but probably not now (unless USD were to somehow lose twice this weekend).

If USD loses the NCC tourney Fort Lewis would be the only team with one region loss. The NCAA in their wisdom may stick it to the NCC? Been here three years in a row? I hope not but stranger things have happened.