SiouxSports.com Forum

2007-2008 ND High School Hockey

riders06

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I would agree they have to be considered the early odds-on favorite to win another state championship I won't go as far as to suggest they'll go undefeated and nobody in North Dakota will play a close game with them. I'm sure they'll get beat by a couple of Minnesota teams and will have some close games against some North Dakota teams.

It's a little lofty to call for an undefeated season, but Red River will be very good. It's too bad LaDaceaur (sp?), Galbreath, and Meland are all on one team. The reason for that being, I doubt they will have 3 Mr. Hockey finalists from one team.

• 3 weeks later...

Although I would agree they have to be considered the early odds-on favorite to win another state championship I won't go as far as to suggest they'll go undefeated and nobody in North Dakota will play a close game with them. I'm sure they'll get beat by a couple of Minnesota teams and will have some close games against some North Dakota teams.

i agree with riders06 red river will go undefeated if they play as good as they should. they will have 2 of the best lines in the state with crary meland and schafer and vigen simonson and bancroft. they will be very good defensively as they will have both ladoucer and galbreath and will be anchored by arnason inbetween the pipes

i agree with riders06 red river will go undefeated if they play as good as they should. they will have 2 of the best lines in the state with crary meland and schafer and vigen simonson and bancroft. they will be very good defensively as they will have both ladoucer and galbreath and will be anchored by arnason inbetween the pipes

23-4 with losses to Roseau who we can never compete with (9-1 my senior year) and 4-1 (last year) and they won't be in the same league as them this next year again, South who they will play 3-4 times, Grafton who they will play 3-4 times, and some soft team.

• 1 month later...

Does this mean that these two players are likely to be early deflections? Or not necessarily? Thanks.

From the standpoint of the USHL it means that the rights of these players are held by the USHL teams that drafted them. If they want to leave high school they would still, typically, have to perform well enough in the final tryout to merit a spot on the team. Given the quality of players drafted into the USHL in the early rounds one might expect that a late draft, as these two players experienced, might have some meaning after they finish high school, as opposed to the present. If a USHL team really wanted them now they most likely would have drafted them higher. I would expect that these players will be in high school hockey next year. On the other hand, they might also be drafted on May 22nd when the NAHL has their draft and with some of the NAHL teams being close to Grand Forks, it might be an option.

The meaning of some of these draft picks is often unclear. A couple of years ago the Lincoln Stars drafted Sidney Crosby when he was as Shattuck St. Mary's, where he played for one year. There was some speculation that he might want to stay in the U.S. and play college hockey. That was an extreme long shot as Sid (or "The Next One" as some called him) was expected to play for Rimouski Oceanic for a year or two and then on to the NHL. So, did Lincoln waste a draft pick or just roll the dice on a long shot? In any case, the meaning of these late drafts will most likely be unclear for a year or longer.

In brief, it is unlikely that these players will be early defections into the highly competitive USHL.

Speaking of junior hockey drafts ... The NAHL held their draft yesterday and only one North Dakota high school player was selected. Eric Herbel, 2007 ND Mr. Hockey, from Bottineau was taken by the Bismarck Bobcats. Here's the story from the Bismarck Tribune :

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/20...ocal/133753.txt

The Forum listed the players tendered by the F/M Jets and they include North Dakota players Tyler Swanson of West Fargo and Tyler Klein of Fargo North. The Jets also tendered 5 Minnesota players and a forward from Omaha of the USHL.

It is hard to consider Nick Krebsbach a transfer. If I am not mistaken, he was cut from Minot High before he went to GFRR.

Nick Krebsbach was not cut but was put on the junior varsity at Minot. He is indeed a legitimate transfer. Irmen is spelled with an "e".

Yes, thank you. I meant, he was cut from varsity. Sorry about the miscommunication.

Is the kid any good? It is hard to imagine him being cut by Minot and then making the GFRR team. Did/Does he contribute or is he, if he made the team, a pine dweller?

This is all past. Nick Krebsbach went on to play a season for Wayne State. I was trying to find stats for his high school season(s) and could not find any.

Nick Krebsbach was one of the top forwards on the Red River team from the time that he enrolled. I do not have his stats handy but his points were not too far from the totals of Irmen and Potulny. If I remember correctly, the year that all three were sophomores Nick was about 10-15 points behind the totals of Ryan and Danny. Nick had 70 points in 108 games with the Bismarck Bobcats after graduating from Red River. He did play for a year or two at D-1 Wayne State and then returned to North Dakota to complete college.