SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Central

proudsioux

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They tried their hardest to get DL sucked into a fight for a game misconduct. DL knew they were headed to state and wouldnt take the bait. Smart kids.

My hats off to Tony Bina for the job he did this year coaching Central. He had a tough job, but pulled through it. I felt bad for him at the end of the game yesterday because you could tell he wasn't impressed with his players behaivor. He made his appology in a statement in todays GFH. He didnt have to do that, but that shows he's a good guy. Good luck next year Tony.

What happened to Central this year in sports? Are they good at anything? It seemed like they were good in at least one girls and one boys sport every year. This year though they seem to stink in them all.

Ironically, one of the best athletic classes in Central history was followed by one of the worst. Obviously last year's class of hockey seniors wasn't the best, but there were a ton of really good football players, and several very good basketball players and track athletes. This year's class just wasn't good at anything, except for a couple of good wrestlers. Hockey at Central is always going to be a crapshoot in this day and age, due to the demographics of Grand Forks strongly favoring Red River in sports like hockey. Let's face it, hockey requires money, and the north end of Grand Forks is mostly blue collar/working class. About the only thing that will allow Central to ever have good hockey teams anymore is open enrollment, where several talented south end kids decide to go to Central, or a radical change in how the line between the Central and Red River districts is drawn.

hockey requires money?? Not really, a lot of hard work id say and disipline. Hockey is getting more expensive but im sure its not to a point where RR has the big advantage.

Yes, it requires money. I'm not sure how familiar you are with the north end of Grand Forks these days. Do you think it's a big coincidence that Central more than holds its own against Red River in sports like football, basketball, track and cross country, but usually is overmatched in hockey, tennis and golf? And yes, I know that we're only a few years removed from some great Central teams (thanks in large part to open enrollment), but I'm telling you, don't expect it to happen again unless things change in the way the districts are drawn.

Ironically, one of the best athletic classes in Central history was followed by one of the worst. Obviously last year's class of hockey seniors wasn't the best, but there were a ton of really good football players, and several very good basketball players and track athletes. This year's class just wasn't good at anything, except for a couple of good wrestlers. Hockey at Central is always going to be a crapshoot in this day and age, due to the demographics of Grand Forks strongly favoring Red River in sports like hockey. Let's face it, hockey requires money, and the north end of Grand Forks is mostly blue collar/working class. About the only thing that will allow Central to ever have good hockey teams anymore is open enrollment, where several talented south end kids decide to go to Central, or a radical change in how the line between the Central and Red River districts is drawn.

I'm in the Thompson school district so I dont know how the district is split. With the way the south end is growing, will the line be changing?

I'm in the Thompson school district so I dont know how the district is split. With the way the south end is growing, will the line be changing?

I'm not sure. Red River is on 17th Avenue South, which at the time it was built was on the far south end of GF. Now, it's in the middle of town. Most of the building is going south, and all those new neighborhoods are in the RR district. Besides the congressional area, nothing new is going up in the Central district. I almost think it should switch to an east-west split rather than north-south. If I had had my way, after the flood Red River would have become a middle school (replacing South), and where the new South Middle School was built would have been a high school. That way, a north-south split still would have made sense, but the line could have been moved considerably farther south than where it currently is.

They tried their hardest to get DL sucked into a fight for a game misconduct. DL knew they were headed to state and wouldnt take the bait. Smart kids.

My hats off to Tony Bina for the job he did this year coaching Central. He had a tough job, but pulled through it. I felt bad for him at the end of the game yesterday because you could tell he wasn't impressed with his players behaivor. He made his appology in a statement in todays GFH. He didnt have to do that, but that shows he's a good guy. Good luck next year Tony.

Tony had an extremely tough job this year. Any coach would have a rough time if his star player decided to be a quitter a couple games into the season. Hats off to Tony for trying to make the best out of a bad situation. The JV Central team seemed to do okay this year so maybe a little help is on the way.

I'm not sure. Red River is on 17th Avenue South, which at the time it was built was on the far south end of GF. Now, it's in the middle of town. Most of the building is going south, and all those new neighborhoods are in the RR district. Besides the congressional area, nothing new is going up in the Central district. I almost think it should switch to an east-west split rather than north-south. If I had had my way, after the flood Red River would have become a middle school (replacing South), and where the new South Middle School was built would have been a high school. That way, a north-south split still would have made sense, but the line could have been moved considerably farther south than where it currently is.

Is the city growning enough to have the need for another high school?

No. Although the population seems to be on the rise (or at the least the number of households is going up), enrollment is declining. People have fewer kids these days.

The economics of raising children these days is way different than it used to be. These days, most families need the mother and father to hold down full time jobs just to pay living expenses. Given this situation, any kids need to have child care ($500 a month each?). This adds up quick. This doesn't even begin to figure in college expenses ;)

How are the people that are building $300,000 homes (pick any on the south end) managing to raise kids, have those kids in sports, drive a couple of nice cars, have the kids drive nice cars, and still buy a place at the lake?

I know that they are probably both working full time jobs, but just how much do you have to make to pay for all of this?

Of course, I did have a banker friend tell me once that the average credit card debt is $25,000, and rising.

How are the people that are building $300,000 homes (pick any on the south end) managing to raise kids, have those kids in sports, drive a couple of nice cars, have the kids drive nice cars, and still buy a place at the lake?

I know that they are probably both working full time jobs, but just how much do you have to make to pay for all of this?

Of course, I did have a banker friend tell me once that the average credit card debt is $25,000, and rising.

I have often wondered that too. They have the $300,000 house with a three stall garage. In that garage, you have brand new Yukons and Navigators. Probably a new boat too. Then there is still money for trips, eating out all the time, etc. Alot of times, the wife doesn't have to work in these wealthy families. If someone is making an honest living or making good investments. good for them, they have earned it, that is America. That being said, something tells me though that inheritance and increasingly credit card debt must be playing a role.

This years Central team was the most immature and undisciplined team i've seen in a long time. They were an embarrassment to the tradition of hockey at Central and in GF.

You forgot untalented too. I watched them a few times and they were not very good. Their top player quit the team went to Red River. I heard he was playing on the Red River JV. There are a lot of unhappy people from central at the EDC this past weekend.

I heard a lot of them expressing their displeasure in the stands.

I have often wondered that too. They have the $300,000 house with a three stall garage. In that garage, you have brand new Yukons and Navigators. Probably a new boat too. Then there is still money for trips, eating out all the time, etc. Alot of times, the wife doesn't have to work in these wealthy families. If someone is making an honest living or making good investments. good for them, they have earned it, that is America. That being said, something tells me though that inheritance and increasingly credit card debt must be playing a role.

I was wondering where the jobs in their town are. Not to mention hockey sticks alone are 230.00 a piece.

You forgot untalented too. I watched them a few times and they were not very good. Their top player quit the team went to Red River. I heard he was playing on the Red River JV. There are a lot of unhappy people from central at the EDC this past weekend.

I heard a lot of them expressing their displeasure in the stands.

He played on the JV team because of the transfer rule. He probably would of been a first liner had he been able to play.

What happened to Central this year in sports? Are they good at anything? It seemed like they were good in at least one girls and one boys sport every year. This year though they seem to stink in them all.

Yea well Girls hockey finished 2nd in the state and we are going to the state tournaments this weekend

He played on the JV team because of the transfer rule. He probably would of been a first liner had he been able to play.

with all do respect i dont think he wouldve been a first line just for the simple fact that Red River has talent better than him and second liner and maybe a third liner but not a first liner