SiouxSports.com Forum

BOYS' STATE HOCKEY SCHEDULE

Sports1

I would like to know what an average hockey team is? We have Red River and South that are good hockey teams, and I guess the rest of the teams in the state suck according to some people here. I just want to know how you get to the level of being a decent hockey club? ;)

I think some of this comes from the gap between the top teams and everyone else. But I would say Devils Lake is an example of an average hockey team, if I had to pick one.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some of this comes from the gap between the top teams and everyone else. But I would say Devils Lake is an example of an average hockey team, if I had to pick one.

I agree with soohockey15 somewhat, I would say Grafton and Devils Lakes would fall into that average team catagory. Grafton because they have been destroyed by south twice.

I'll always cheer for the west. I think it will be another year of losing in the first round though. I hope I'm wrong. I see Williston getting absolutely spanked by RR. Bismarck may beat the "Satans" and make it out of the first round. Century will be a sacrificial lamb. If Minot pulls its head out, it could beat GF/PR but I will not be holding my breath. It's not like the old days, unfortunately, when the west beat the east in the first round at state 30% to 40% of the time. DL will always be the "Satans." I can't get used to that "Firebirds" foolishness. Talk about religious paranoia.

I'll always cheer for the west. I think it will be another year of losing in the first round though. I hope I'm wrong. I see Williston getting absolutely spanked by RR. Bismarck may beat the "Satans" and make it out of the first round. Century will be a sacrificial lamb. If Minot pulls its head out, it could beat GF/PR but I will not be holding my breath. It's not like the old days, unfortunately, when the west beat the east in the first round at state 30% to 40% of the time. DL will always be the "Satans." I can't get used to that "Firebirds" foolishness. Talk about religious paranoia.

They will be the Satans forever to me, too. ;)

Another case of religious/pc bull$#%@. ;)

I agree with you about Minot Chewey. Earlier this season they were tied 2-2 with Grafton with about ten minutes left in the game. Minot had a rush and Grafton's goalie made a great save on his back to prevent Minot from taking the lead, and then Grafton went down and scored. After that Minot just fell apart, and it ended up being 6-3. Yeah, I think Grafton is a better team, but Minot is capable of winning the game. But then we get back to it being the first round of the state tournament, and everyone from Minot kind of smiles and says..."here we go again." The key for Minot will be working hard enough to get some breaks. If they can get a couple of cheap goals off of deflections and what not they'll have a great chance to win the hockey game. If they take penalties, and don't create much offensive flow, it will end up like the last 15 years or so in the first round.

Go Satans! ;)

EGF is bad they would have lost to the dickenson midgets, Grafton has gotten pounded by south twice this year. Warroad lost to Grafton by 3, thus making them worse than grafton a team that got destroyed by south 8-2 on friday. So if Warroad got beat by grafton by three, and grafton got destroyed by south 8-2 and your saying Warroad "will prolly make a run at a state championship" What does that make South?

Are you the same guy that helped ESPN figure out that the 65th team in the NCAA basketball last year was better than the number one seeds cuz they beat winthrop, who beat michigan state, who beat iowa, who beat nc state, who beat villanova, who beat duke, who beat kansas, who beat Florida...

Does any Minot station carry the hockey games online at all?

Time for the Philion Curse to continue!

What exactly is the "Philion Curse"? I know that they had a great team when he was a senior and choked big time at state and wound up beating Bottineau for the Consolation Championship. They should have won state that year. Perhaps that's it? If yes, why would it be attributed to Philion?

They won the State Championship in 1992, his junior year, and haven't won an opening round game at state since!

They probably sold their soul for that state title??? ;) The beat Bismarck High in an all-west Final after Bismarck had absolutely destroyed them 3 times that year. Someone can correct me on the scores that season, but I think they were in the ball park of 8-5 Minot for the title and Bhs won during the year along the lines of 10-2, 12-4, and 10-4. Tom Phillion(future UND player) was the star for Minot and Bismarck had 3 future Division 1 captains on that team, Justin Theel(Notre Dame), Mitch Vig (UND) and Mike Peluso(UMD) as well as Schauer? who tied Peluso for the state scoring title that season with something in the 80's for points!!

They probably sold their soul for that state title??? ;) The beat Bismarck High in an all-west Final after Bismarck had absolutely destroyed them 3 times that year. Someone can correct me on the scores that season, but I think they were in the ball park of 8-5 Minot for the title and Bhs won during the year along the lines of 10-2, 12-4, and 10-4. Tom Phillion(future UND player) was the star for Minot and Bismarck had 3 future Division 1 captains on that team, Justin Theel(Notre Dame), Mitch Vig (UND) and Mike Peluso(UMD) as well as Schauer? who tied Peluso for the state scoring title that season with something in the 80's for points!!

I think those scores might have been worse than that. I don't care what anyone says, that was the best Championship game that I've seen in North Dakota. Yeah, the goaltending was weak, but what an unbelievable back and forth game. I was at that game as a youngster, and after that every youth hockey player in Minot wanted to be like Tom Philion.

I like the whole Philion curse idea though. When they won state back in 92 Grafton was the first team that they beat by like a 5-1 score or something like that. I can't remember who they beat in the semifinals to get to the title game though.

I'll help you out:

Fargo South vs. Bismarck Century

Minot vs. Grafton Park River

Bismarck High vs. Devils Lake

Red River vs. Williston

Thanks for all of the updates throughout the EDC!

Here are my STATE predcitions for the tourny

South Over Bis. Century

Grafton Over Minot

DL Over Bis. High

RR Over Williston

Grafton Over South

RR Over DL

South for 3rd Place

RR gets Cocky loss to Grafton

But dont get me wrong i would like to see it stay in Grand Forks

so from a central student GOOD LUCK RED RIVER!!

South Over Bis. Century

Grafton Over Minot

DL Over Bis. High

RR Over Williston

south has beaten grafton 3 times, twice easily, why would south not be in the final. I hope it is red river - south in final, it would be the most entertaining

Grafton Over South

RR Over DL

South for 3rd Place

South Over Bis. Century

Grafton Over Minot

DL Over Bis. High

RR Over Williston

Grafton Over South

RR Over DL

South for 3rd Place

i dont think red river is gonna try to be cocky this time around with grafton if all your other predictions are right they lost to grafton last time and most of the players from the team are probably still remembering the loss in the championship game last year all im trying to say is that if red river gets to the championship this year they are gonna take care of business

If Grafton makes it to the championship game fatigue would be a big factor. They would have to play 2 much tougher games than RR, thus RR's depth would be the difference. However, I don't think GPR can beat South. Their second and third lines are playing the best they have all year. South will ride them to a state championship as long as Deichert stays sharp.

I think those scores might have been worse than that. I don't care what anyone says, that was the best Championship game that I've seen in North Dakota. Yeah, the goaltending was weak, but what an unbelievable back and forth game. I was at that game as a youngster, and after that every youth hockey player in Minot wanted to be like Tom Philion.

I like the whole Philion curse idea though. When they won state back in 92 Grafton was the first team that they beat by like a 5-1 score or something like that. I can't remember who they beat in the semifinals to get to the title game though.

I want to say that Minot beat Grafton in the First Round in '92, then beat South in the Semifinals. Also, I want to say the Championship Game finished at 8-7.

Anyone have any info on any radio stations that have internet feeds that are carrying the games? I'm on the East Coast and would like to tune in.

I don't see Grafton winning this. They do have a history of stepping up during the state tournament, but they are a notch below South and RR. I would like to see Devils Lake pull off an upset. Getting put in the EDC with the GF and Fargo schools and still making it to state is great for their program. I don't see any of the West teams getting a win in their opening games, but one can always hope. It makes for a more interesting tournament when the matchups aren't between 2 teams meeting for the 4th time...