SiouxSports.com Forum

Commentary from National Review

jimdahl

One of the more succinct and sound arguments I've seen on the "don't change American Indian team names" side.

I'll include the portion that the NCAA has quoted in the below link:

John J. Miller, columnist

National Review

"It should come as no surprise that many people believe they honor Indians when they name teams after them. It makes sense that people would want to do this. Indians, after all, occupy a special niche in the American imagination, in which they are associated with martial courage and a spirituality grounded in the natural world. It is no accident that the environmental movement's most effective symbol was the Indian who shed tears in the 'Keep America Beautiful' anti-litter commercials of the 1970s.

"Because of these positive associations, tribal names find their way onto all kinds of consumer products, such as the Jeep Cherokee and the Dodge Dakota. For the same reason, Indian images appear on U.S. currency, such as the old Indian-head nickel and the new Sacajawea dollar. The Army even names its helicopters after tribes: the Apache Longbow, the Kiowa Warrior, the Comanche, and the Blackhawk. If we were to follow (the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights' claim that Indian team names perpetuate harmful stereotypes and foster a racially hostile environment) to its logical conclusion, a number of cities (for example, Chicago, Miami, and Milwaukee), plus about half the states, would have to be renamed. ...

"It's tempting to think that the same activists who now complain that the presence of Indian team names is an insult would then say that the absence of Indian team names is proof of racism. And in that latter claim, there would be substantially more justice."

http://www.ncaa.org/news/2001/20010423/comment.html

JIM, These people have nothin more to do that b!t(# about using native names like Seminols, Fighting Sioux. I think we have covered the issue a fully almost to adnauseum (I am sure I spelled that one wrong) I guess some aren't going to be happy till every indian name is changed.  

I still find it funny that a bunch of Liberal white people need to feel sorry for something all the time, the hand wringing crowd. I think the best way to deal with this issue is to not inguage them...

Just like the University is doing with the retards at UND-Fraud.com, no credibility, talk about a tabloid site.  Instead of enguage them they University is just ignoring them.