SiouxSports.com Forum

The Beanpot

The Whistler

Well the hype is on. USCHO is building up the most over hyped tournament in hockey.

I think the WCHA should hold a tournament with the same level of competition. Using the KRACH this is the WCHA Beanpot field.

The number one ranked team in the Beanpot according to the KRACH is the Boston University at #13. The closest WCHA team to #13 is #14 Michigan Tech who enters our tournament as the well-deserved #1 seed.

The number two team in the Beanpot field is Boston College which holds down the 18th spot in the KRACH. I could offer my bid to Mankato who's just above them at #17 but I'm granting my bid to Alaska Anchorage as they need to get out more and they're one step below at #19.

The number three team in the Beanpot is #27 Northeastern. The red-hot Duluth Bulldogs are just above them at #26 so they're my third seed in the WCHA beanpot.

The number four team in the Beanpot is #32 Harvard. This one's a hard pick. I suppose I ought to give the bid to Mankato since I snubbed them on the second seed. But I'm going to mend some burnt bridges and offer my bid to #36 Northern Michigan a two-time member of the WCHA. Plus they gallantly lost to us in the 1980 Championship game so they can't be all bad.

So in order to have a comparable WCHA Beanpot we'd have Michigan Tech, Alaska Anchorage, Duluth and Northern Michigan. Wow let the party begin. You could sell tens of tickets to this tournament so I can see what they hype is all about for the Beanpot in Boston.

Yeah it is totally worthless which no one outside of Boston cares about. Much like Yankees-Red Sox though it is shoved down college hockey fans throat and made to seem like it is actually significant. It provides me with great material though to rip on all of Boston. :D

I'll be there as well . . .

And guys, it's not so much hype as it is tradition . . . if you've ever been, it's a lot of fun. It's something every real college hockey fan should experience because it doesn't matter what the teams records are coming in, whether they're in contention for the NCAA's or dwelling in the basement; it's about coming in on the first 2 mondays of February and giving your all, and this year should be no different. This is for bragging rights.

And if any Sioux fans had thoughts about rooting for BC, I'd suggest you mosey over to the Eagle Action messageboard to see what BC Superfans think of the "Stupid Sioux tricks" . . .

And if any Sioux fans had thoughts about rooting for BC, I'd suggest you mosey over to the Eagle Action messageboard to see what BC Superfans think of the "Stupid Sioux tricks" . . .

It's more the way many Boston fans think the Beanpot is the greatest thing since sliced bread that I find annoying. And I'd rather have a sewage pipe explode in my mouth than cheer for BC. Talk about a bunch of worthless sacks of hamster......

I'll be there as well . . .

And guys, it's not so much hype as it is tradition . . . if you've ever been, it's a lot of fun. It's something every real college hockey fan should experience because it doesn't matter what the teams records are coming in, whether they're in contention for the NCAA's or dwelling in the basement; it's about coming in on the first 2 mondays of February and giving your all, and this year should be no different. This is for bragging rights.

Nothing too major, just a few comments/jabs at our trio for their recent run in with the law. Wouldn't go for them anyway. I'll cheer for Northeastern as every year! :lol: My favorite comment/question on their board was "Is the legal drinking age 21 in ND?" :D "Ah yeah buddy, that's a federal law. Nice education you be gettin there at BC!" :ohmy:

It's more the way many Boston fans think the Beanpot is the greatest thing since sliced bread that I find annoying. And I'd rather have a sewage pipe explode in my mouth than cheer for BC. Talk about a bunch of worthless sacks of hamster......

I know that's the way most people outside Massachusetts feel . . . but growing up in Jersey I knew about the Beanpot and the tradition of it; I saw the highlights on Sportscenter. Here in the city it's not really that hyped media wise until about a week before when we have the luncheon; that's when you start to feel it in the air, you can actually feel the tournament getting near. I know I sound all fangirlish about this thing but there's so much history surrounding it and all four schools are so close that even natural rivalries are intensified to the max.

The only imagery I can possibly give to outsiders to get them to understand is to imagine 5,000 of your students crowded behind the goal of the upper bowl of an NHL rink all clad in jerseys jumping up and down and screaming so loud that the combined force of sheer joy and enthusiam causes the concrete balcony to shake all the way around the arena. I've gotten to experience that, and it is short of a better term . . . amazing. And then when it's over, you celebrate, you fix the banner, and you move on. Unless you're a BC fan, then you insist that all BU cares about is the Beanpot and it's season ends right there though the past 3 seasons have proved otherwise.

I know that's the way most people outside Massachusetts feel . . . but growing up in Jersey I knew about the Beanpot and the tradition of it; I saw the highlights on Sportscenter. Here in the city it's not really that hyped media wise until about a week before when we have the luncheon; that's when you start to feel it in the air, you can actually feel the tournament getting near. I know I sound all fangirlish about this thing but there's so much history surrounding it and all four schools are so close that even natural rivalries are intensified to the max.

The only imagery I can possibly give to outsiders to get them to understand is to imagine 5,000 of your students crowded behind the goal of the upper bowl of an NHL rink all clad in jerseys jumping up and down and screaming so loud that the combined force of sheer joy and enthusiam causes the concrete balcony to shake all the way around the arena. I've gotten to experience that, and it is short of a better term . . . amazing. And then when it's over, you celebrate, you fix the banner, and you move on. Unless you're a BC fan, then you insist that all BU cares about is the Beanpot and it's season ends right there though the past 3 seasons have proved otherwise.

A couple observations. BU and BC have strong programs. How exciting is a yearly tournament when only two teams have a chance of winning most any year. It's been what 13 years since Harvard last won it.

Right now on BU is in the tournament and you've got to consider them a bubble team. The fans might get excited but it's not good hockey, it's hype.

I disagree 200%. Which actually means I agree I guess. Hmm, I'm confused.

Not a math wizard, are we?? While multiplying two negatives makes a positive, adding two negatives makes a bigger negative (or, a smaller number) In adding a postive and a negative, the larger magnitude of the two numbers prevails. So if we consider PCM a positive (?), and Diggler a double negative, that should leave us with a negative. However, in order for that to be true, PCM cannot equal (then it would be zero) or exceed two Digglers, or it would be positive.

Conclusion, there doesn't seem to be agreement. :D

Now can we get back to hockey?

A couple observations. BU and BC have strong programs. How exciting is a yearly tournament when only two teams have a chance of winning most any year. It's been what 13 years since Harvard last won it.

Right now on BU is in the tournament and you've got to consider them a bubble team. The fans might get excited but it's not good hockey, it's hype.

When the Sioux took on their biggest rival UMTC last week, they were only 2 games over .500, barely a tourney team . . . does that mean that that series wasn't good hockey? It doesn't matter how the teams are playing coming in, they are good games no matter what, these are rivalries we're talking about here.

I know I can't make you care, you don't have to care, but don't belittle a tradition in college hockey, because that is where this could head. If instead this could be a thread analyzing the tournament instead of one calling it overhyped and stupid because BU wins it every year I would love to contribute furthur, but otherwise, have at it I guess.

If the Sioux and the Gophers were both lower ranked teams this year we wouldn't expect people to care that much. I think the game was interesting in a national sense because a #15 knocked off a #1.

I think the college hockey press makes themselves look poor by hyping these games that are insignificant.

Furthermore I would expect the games between BU and BC to be a lot of fun for their fans no matter what the standings. They're two great programs and I expect the rivalry to match that. But come-on calling it a tournament of significance when you're inviting Northeastern and Harvard every year.

To put it into perspective this tournament, this year, should get as much attention as the one we played up in Dartmouth this year. Nobody except for the Sioux fans really cared about how it turned out.

Really college hockey shouldn't be impressed when BU or BC beat Northeastern.

When the Sioux took on their biggest rival UMTC last week, they were only 2 games over .500, barely a tourney team . . . does that mean that that series wasn't good hockey? It doesn't matter how the teams are playing coming in, they are good games no matter what, these are rivalries we're talking about here.

I know I can't make you care, you don't have to care, but don't belittle a tradition in college hockey, because that is where this could head. If instead this could be a thread analyzing the tournament instead of one calling it overhyped and stupid because BU wins it every year I would love to contribute furthur, but otherwise, have at it I guess.

I can see the hype between BU/BC. There's always hype when those two teams meet. That's a fierce rivalry. But that's all it really is. Northeastern and Harvard rarely field a team that can honestly compete with those two programs. Why do BU/BC never play each other in the first round of the Beanpot? Because they know the hype will grow even more when those two match up for the final game.

I think the college hockey press makes themselves look poor by hyping these games that are insignificant.

The Bean Pot is hyped because of the long tradition and because the big media is on the East Coast. If you don't like it, ignore it. Pretty simple, really.

I can see the hype between BU/BC. There's always hype when those two teams meet. That's a fierce rivalry. But that's all it really is. Northeastern and Harvard rarely field a team that can honestly compete with those two programs. Why do BU/BC never play each other in the first round of the Beanpot? Because they know the hype will grow even more when those two match up for the final game.

Who you play in the first round rotates, as does whether you are the late or early game. BU and BC faced off in the first round in 2005. BU won 2-1, then defeated NU in overtime for the championship. Last year BU played Harvard first with BC vs. NU, this year is NU vs. BU and BC vs. Harvard, so next year BU and BC will meet in the first round again.

Being from North Dakota, I completely understand the apathy for the Beanpot. I argue all the time that it's not the biggest, greatest tournament of college hockey. However, to be fair -- it IS a great time -- and it is unique to have 4 Division I hockey teams all located in one city. I would much rather have an NCAA title (or the championship trophy from the Dartmouth tournament, at least this year), but I agree that the tournament is rich on tradition. Plus, it's played on the first two Mondays in February! There is a buzz in Boston and it definitely adds excitement to the work week... you even get to leave work early on a Monday...

I've got my tickets, I'm excited and will be proudly displaying my Sioux jersey... as will my boyfriend (he's a Bostonian, a BU season ticket holder and rabid fan of the Sioux).