SiouxSports.com Forum

Regional Tourney Picks

BigGreyAnt41

If you had Allen...If SDSU did not have 4 starters out for the season, they would have been tough for you guys even with Allen. Just think they probably get them all back next year. Plus Nagy is one of the best coaches around. Metro St is getting hot again like last year when they got hot at tourney time and won it all.

we still would have beat them though

I don't dispute that SDSU should be the favorite next year. But UND could be a darkhorse. Most people seem to think that once Beasley leaves, the Sioux are done. But Aaron Austin is the real deal, and quite possibly the top incoming recruit in the NCC next year. Jeff Brandt had a sub-par season, but he's still a former NCC freshman of the year and an all-conference pick as a soph. Mike Johnson has really improved and is a very talented player. Todd Rypkema has a huge upside to his game and at 6'11" is very tough to match up with. Add Adam Jacobson and Josh Doyle to the mix, along with an improved Evan Lindahl and hopefully one more talented juco front court player, and UND could be pretty tough next season.

along with an improved Evan Lindahl

His attitude looked questionable in the North Dakota Class B State Championship game. When the going got tough, did he? Has that changed, or was it just a one time occurance? He has the skills to be good. Is his brother a Division II player? He had a nice shot.

To the best of my knowledge, Lindahl has done nothing to cause anyone to question his attitude since he's been at UND. His only issue has been whether he can play good enough defense to merit extensive playing time. I suspect that will improve with a year of NCC experience under his belt. At about 6'10" and a great shooter, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he develops into a Kyle Behrens-type talent over the next three years. Dobmeier may have gotten Mr. Basketball over him, but I think that Lindahl will end up having the much better college career when all is said and done.

His brother is about 6'6" and also a very talented player. However, I'm not sure whether or not he's division II caliber. I haven't seen him play since his sophomore year at state. I would expect him to either go to DAC-10 school, a juco, or possibly an NSIC school, but that's just a guess.

I couldn't agree more that SDSU is already the favorite. Nagy is a hell of a coach, most team would of have fell off the face of the Earth this year with all the injuries and pending drug charges. If Glas was half the coach....all the heck with it I don't want to get into him, he is not worth my time.

The SDSU women will be tougher than nails next year too, I see them as the favorites with USD right behind.

As far as Lindahl, I don't think it is a "bad" attitude, he is just not very aggressive on the court, way to passive......hopefully that will change after a year of NCC play and seeing what it takes. I know the coaches have wanted him to put on weight over the past year or two and hasn't, maybe he will work harder now that knows he has to become a star in the NCC.

In womens hoops next year, I think the top four from this year will all be pretty equal again. SDSU returns 6 of their top 8 players, but Pater is a big loss and apparently they have lost arguably their top recruit to UND (Lindsay Draayer). USD has Koupal which is enough to make them very good but they do lose their next two best players. NDSU will be solid.

UND could surprise some people as even though Moen and Boll graduate, Leighton and Boese may very well become the best forward tandem in the league next year. A big key is whether one or more of the incoming class of recruits can provide a consistent 3-point threat. Between Carissa Jahner, Jenna Werdell, Jami Glick (red-shirting this year), Lindsay Draayer (if SDSU has released her from her LOI) and Val Sannes (if she recovers from her knee injury), it could be a very good group.

Yes, Pater is a big loss, but no bigger than Jenny I don't think. UND would be counting on too many youngsters to not have SDSU to be considered the favorite. It sure would be nice to see the those youngsters next year come along like the freshemen did this year. Boese is playing like a veteran out there. I also think that another big if is whether Demaine can continue to improve her offensive aggressiveness. If she can score in the 9-10 point range, that would be huge.

I'm not trying to say that UND should be the favorite heading into next year. On the contrary, I suspect the Sioux will be picked 4th in the league in the pre-season. But I'm just not convinced that SDSU is necessarily going to sustain what they've done this year, either.

The reason I feel Pater is a bigger loss to SDSU than Boll and/or Moen are to UND is that UND has shown the ability year after year to reload and replace one great player with another. I don't think SDSU has shown that as of yet, and even with the arguably the best team they've ever had this season, they're still 1-2 against UND.

There have been a number of programs that have put together some nice runs, i.e. Cal Poly Pomona, Emporia St., Southern Indiana, etc. However, all of those programs have had some poor years recently, as well. What sets UND apart in my opinion is that year after year, you can practically count on the fact that they will win 80% or more of their games. Very few programs can say that--not even NDSU, as witnessed by last season when they missed the tournament altogether.

My point is simply that SDSU hasn't proven anything more than that they are capable of stringing together a couple of good seasons in a row and winning the NCC once. Whether they can beat UND consistently (they're 1-5 over the past two years), and sustain a high level of success even after losing their best player remains to be seen. I think we already know that even after losing the likes of Sheri Kleinsasser, Jenny Crouse, Jaime Pudenz, Katie Richards, Theresa LeCuyer, etc., UND still manages to be at or close to the top year after year.

Hopefully we even get a chance to make that 1-3 for SDSU against UND this year. It will be very tough to beat them at home two times in a row. Hopefully we are back in their heads again.

Next year is very tough to say because we will be relying so much on youngsters though. Jenny will be very tough to replace because she is basically the only leader the team has. Nobody else has shown much fire. I really don't mind losing Moen, not sorry to see her go. She seems too "whatever" on the court. A player of her stature should alone have prevented the losses(choke) to USD and NDSU. We need more players with a little more fire inside and that is why I say Jenny is such a big loss.

Anyone with any thoughts on what happened to Hausauer this year? She just doesn't hustle like she did last year. she was all over the court and very fun to watch. She is in much better shape and I thought she would be a key part of the team this year. I have to wonder if she will even come back. Their is really no obvious reason to think she will get anymore playing time

next year, especially if Perrizo moves over to a wing full-time.