SiouxSports.com Forum

Candidates for UND President

GeauxSioux

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could go back to Post #6 of this thread, or not. :)

From Post 6:

Alice Brekke, assistant to the president; Rick Burgum, president and CEO of Arthur (N.D.) Companies; board members Bev Clayburgh and Duaine Espegard; Jay Fisher, UND student body president; Glenda Lindseth, associate dean of the College of Nursing; Doug Munski, faculty senate president; Tim O’Keefe, executive vice president of UND Alumni Association and Foundation; Myrna Olson, education professor; Judi Paukert, community relations manager for Xcel Energy; Paulsen; Bruce Pitts, associate dean of School of Medicine and Health Sciences; David Yearwood, associate professor of industrial technology; and Chancellor Eddie Dunn.

President of United Tribes Upbeat About Prospect of American Indian Committee Member for UND

The state Board of Higher Education is to meet by conference call Tuesday to discuss the issue.

"If the entire board votes in agreement during the special meeting on July 3, it will restore faith in the prospect that the board works on behalf of all citizens of the state," Gipp said in a statement this week.

Gipp said the North Dakota Indian Affairs Commission unanimously approved a resolution last week urging the board to reconsider its earlier decision not to have an Indian member of the search committee. The resolution was sent to Gov. John Hoeven, Gipp said.

So only a unanimous vote by the board will restore your faith? It's hard enough just to get people to agree on what time to have lunch. Be satisfied if you get an American Indian on the search committee.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/i...mp;section=News

In 1997, he (New Chancellor) was appointed Gov. Ed Schafer's chief of staff and stayed on as Gov. John Hoeven's chief of staff when Hoeven was elected in 2000.

Goetz will sit in on the UND search committee as an ex-officio member. He said he won't try to influence the committee's decision, but hopes the committee chooses candidates who are

I am thinking that a PhD is needed, to ensure acceptance from the academia. I read that most university administrators that don't come from faculty ranks are considered "outsiders" by the university faculty they serve. Truth be told, I can see some of that perspective. It reminds me of a friend that worked at a retail store for many years and had a supervisor hired that had never worked at that store or at any similar stores. This new hire didn't really understand the details of how the store operated and simply frustrated his staff.

*shrugs shoulders*

Perhaps the most acclaimed president in UND's history, Thomas Clifford, "managed" with only an MBA. There's been a number of precedents for former politicians/statesmen to enter academia at a President's level without a PhD: former Oklahoma Senator David Boren at OU.

Don't get me wrong, I think Schafer would be a great candidate. I'm just preparing myself to be underwhelmed when the smoke clears...you know, like the old saying "those that can't do, teach".

So that means that anyone who takes the job is a "can't do-er"? :):p

Perhaps the most acclaimed president in UND's history, Thomas Clifford, "managed" with only an MBA. There's been a number of precedents for former politicians/statesmen to enter academia at a President's level without a PhD: former Oklahoma Senator David Boren at OU.

I agree with you and with the logic that a good leader is a good leader regardless of the degree they hold, but I just have a feeling that the politics involved with hiring a position as high profile as university president (pleasing all stakeholders, particularly academia) will win over any logical selections. At least that's what I have seen in the last seven years of working within higher education.

:):p

Board to decide on adding to committee

The State Board of Higher Education meets today to settle an ongoing debate over whether the University of North Dakota's presidential search committee should include an American Indian member.

There's little indication of what the board will decide, but it's already clear that a few members are approaching today's meeting with differing viewpoints.

Those details remain in the dark. Paulsen said he has a specific American Indian in mind to fill the board seat but won't reveal his or her name until today's meeting. Gipp, who was consulted about the choice, also declined to talk about who might be chosen.

He said only that the person needed to have a good understanding of both North Dakota tribes and higher education.

"This will give us a qualified American Indian asking the questions about American Indian issues in this process," Gipp said.

Paulsen said he has a specific American Indian in mind to fill the board seat but won't reveal his or her name until today's meeting.

He said only that the person needed to have a good understanding of both North Dakota tribes and higher education.

I'll give:

3-1 Leigh Jeanotte

10-1 Skip Longie / David Gipp

50-1 G.K. :)

Doing a quick Google of Cynthia Lindquist Mala. I don't find her name prominent in the "Fighting Sioux" name debate, pro or con. Hopefully that will not be on the agenda for selection of the next president.
She was part of the nickname committee in 2000 when she was director of the Indian Affairs Commission. I don't recall, nor can I locate, any strong stance or activism from her. Her one press clipping from the Board's decision to keep the name expresses disappointment at the process (the Board overriding the executive):

"First is the manner in which they took action

She was part of the nickname committee in 2000 when she was director of the Indian Affairs Commission. I don't recall, nor can I locate, any strong stance or activism from her. Her one press clipping from the Board's decision to keep the name expresses disappointment at the process (the Board overriding the executive):