SiouxSports.com Forum

"Here comes your Fighting Sioux!"

The Sicatoka

Today at The Ralph:

The highly decorated veteran Woodrow Wilson Keeble will be honored by family members and public officials Saturday in Ralph Englestad Arena.

Master Sgt. Keeble, a Sioux Indian known as Chief, died at age 65, in 1982. During his service in the military, he received two Purple Hearts, a Distinguished Service Cross, a Silver Star and two Bronze Stars for his efforts in World War II and the Korean War. ....

Keeble, who was born in Waubay, S.D., and grew up in Waubay and Wahpeton, N.D., also has been recommended for the Medal of Honor, the nation's highest honor. If awarded, he would be the first Sioux Indian to earn the medal. ... he saved his fellow soldiers' lives by taking out more than a dozen of their enemies on a steep hill while he was wounded.

Family members have donated authentic artifacts to be included in a permanent display honoring Keeble in Ralph Englestad Arena. The memorial will include several of Keeble's medals, his uniform and helmet from World War II.

The ceremony honoring Keeble will begin at 4:30 p.m. in the main lobby of REA, and there also will be an on-ice ceremony before the UND men's hockey game against Bemidji State.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/i...mp;section=News

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he saved his fellow soldiers' lives by taking out more than a dozen of their enemies on a steep hill while he was wounded.
Family members have donated authentic artifacts to be included in a permanent display honoring Keeble in Ralph Englestad Arena. The memorial will include several of Keeble's medals, his uniform and helmet from World War II.

That is a true hero. I can't wait to see it!

I think it's absolutely great they're honoring a real American hero in a sports arena but that's where my spidey sense tingles...why at the Ralph? Obviously the family gave their okay for this memorial (and Thank You BTW!) - but their roots are in a reservation now "hostile" to UND's use of the Sioux name. Is it a message from the elders that they think the Sioux nickname is okay? Is it an effort to make the Ralph a sports arena AND MUSEUM?? :D

(I don't think anyone can make a museum change anything - it IS history! :D )

Don't get me wrong...I think it's great but the timing and content make me wonder...what's going on here?

I think it's absolutely great they're honoring a real American hero in a sports arena but that's where my spidey sense tingles...why at the Ralph? Obviously the family gave their okay for this memorial (and Thank You BTW!) - but their roots are in a reservation now "hostile" to UND's use of the Sioux name. Is it a message from the elders that they think the Sioux nickname is okay? Is it an effort to make the Ralph a sports arena AND MUSEUM?? :huh:

(I don't think anyone can make a museum change anything - it IS history! :huh: )

Don't get me wrong...I think it's great but the timing and content make me wonder...what's going on here?

"The University of North Dakota is firmly committed to promoting an environment that emphasizes respect for diversity. In accordance with this commitment, the UND community is dedicated to respecting the past and present of the American Indian." http://www.universityrelations.UND.edu/logoappeal/history.html

I can't think of a better place to honor "Woody". Close to 12,000 people learned the history of a real american hero. Did anyone find it a little odd that his paper work for the congressional medal of honor was "lost" not once but twice?? :lol:

I'd also like to give a big standing ovation to the student section, who showed nothing but class (as always) during the ceromony. :D

Doesn't matter, at least not to me. It's just about time!!! It's unfortunate that American heros can be 'lost' like this. While here on the Navajo Nation, I've learned a great deal about the 'Code Talkers' from WWII. I don't believe they received any recognition for being a huge reason we won the war in the Pacific at the end of the war or for decades after it. There are efforts being made now to honor them as they should have been then. Without those guys, Japanese might have been the first language on the US west coast!!

Again, it's about time!!!! I wish I had been there for the ceremony.

Again, no problem with this at all...personally I hope UND/REA (or whoever) seeks out more gems like Mr. Keeble and honors them as they deserve. I just wonder how long it will be before we hear from "you know who" say..."It's a publicity stunt! Yeah, you're just trying to cover your butt by becoming a "museum" - CHANGE THE NAME!" I'm just cynical by nature I guess :lol:

Again, no problem with this at all...personally I hope UND/REA (or whoever) seeks out more gems like Mr. Keeble and honors them as they deserve. I just wonder how long it will be before we hear from "you know who" say..."It's a publicity stunt! Yeah, you're just trying to cover your butt by becoming a "museum" - CHANGE THE NAME!" I'm just cynical by nature I guess :lol:

Name me a museum in this area that gets 11,500+ visitors on a Friday and Saturday night October-March. It's a great place to showcase what one of America's Heroes has done.

link

I think it's absolutely great they're honoring a real American hero in a sports arena but that's where my spidey sense tingles...why at the Ralph? Obviously the family gave their okay for this memorial (and Thank You BTW!) - but their roots are in a reservation now "hostile" to UND's use of the Sioux name. Is it a message from the elders that they think the Sioux nickname is okay? Is it an effort to make the Ralph a sports arena AND MUSEUM?? :D

(I don't think anyone can make a museum change anything - it IS history! :lol: )

I'm not sure if the REA is going to continue to honor and educate people about Native American culture...but I thought it was a good idea then http://siouxsports.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6520... sorry...shameless plug :huh:...and still do believe it is a great opportunity. Unlike what Myles Brand says, this shows that the University IS doing it's part in working with the Native American community to do something positive, and promote Native American culture.

Unlike what Myles Brand says, this shows that the University IS doing it's part in working with the Native American community to do something positive, and promote Native American culture.

That's exactly my point - I'm just saying someone is going to criticize the timing of this...and probably the family as "hang around the fort" indians :lol: Another reason (or nonreason) to get the issue in the papers...

I just got back from a trip and happened to visit the Medal of Honor Museum in South Carolina. I thought I'd share one of the amazing stories I read while I was there. A true American hero.

ATKINS, THOMAS E.

Rank and organization: Private First Class, U.S. Army, Company A, 127th Infantry, 32d Infantry Division. Place and date: Villa Verde Trail, Luzon, Philippine Islands, 10 March 1945. Entered service at: Campobello, S.C. Birth: Campobello, S.C. G.O. No.: 95, 30 October 1945. Citation: He fought gallantly on the Villa Verde Trail, Luzon, Philippine Islands. With 2 companions he occupied a position on a ridge outside the perimeter defense established by the 1st Platoon on a high hill. At about 3 a.m., 2 companies of Japanese attacked with rifle and machinegun fire, grenades, TNT charges, and land mines, severely wounding Pfc. Atkins and killing his 2 companions. Despite the intense hostile fire and pain from his deep wound, he held his ground and returned heavy fire. After the attack was repulsed, he remained in his precarious position to repel any subsequent assaults instead of returning to the American lines for medical treatment. An enemy machinegun, set up within 20 yards of his foxhole, vainly attempted to drive him off or silence his gun. The Japanese repeatedly made fierce attacks, but for 4 hours, Pfc. Atkins determinedly remained in his fox hole, bearing the brunt of each assault and maintaining steady and accurate fire until each charge was repulsed. At 7 a.m., 13 enemy dead lay in front of his position; he had fired 400 rounds, all he and his 2 dead companions possessed, and had used 3 rifles until each had jammed too badly for further operation. He withdrew during a lull to secure a rifle and more ammunition, and was persuaded to remain for medical treatment. While waiting, he saw a Japanese within the perimeter and, seizing a nearby rifle, killed him. A few minutes later, while lying on a litter, he discovered an enemy group moving up behind the platoon's lines. Despite his severe wound, he sat up, delivered heavy rifle fire against the group and forced them to withdraw. Pfc. Atkins' superb bravery and his fearless determination to hold his post against the main force of repeated enemy attacks, even though painfully wounded, were major factors in enabling his comrades to maintain their lines against a numerically superior enemy force.

I just got back from a trip and happened to visit the Medal of Honor Museum in South Carolina. I thought I'd share one of the amazing stories I read while I was there. A true American hero.

ATKINS, THOMAS E.

Amazing!! There are hundreds of these types of stories and many are untold. When I worked with WWII veterans few would share their stories. I asked one Vet how he came to lose his feet. Very briefly, he told me he had been a POW in Germany. He escaped during a long rainy period, walked in water filled ditches, toward an unknown direction for many days until he finally ran into a group of British soldiers who 'rescued' him. His feet were so badly infected they had to be amputed to save his life. He was very unemotional while he told the story. Even though I had tears running down my face and I wanted to hold his hand just to acknowledge what he had gone through, I let him quickly change the subject.

We have so many heros.

Amazing!! There are hundreds of these types of stories and many are untold. When I worked with WWII veterans few would share their stories. I asked one Vet how he came to lose his feet. Very briefly, he told me he had been a POW in Germany. He escaped during a long rainy period, walked in water filled ditches, toward an unknown direction for many days until he finally ran into a group of British soldiers who 'rescued' him. His feet were so badly infected they had to be amputed to save his life. He was very unemotional while he told the story. Even though I had tears running down my face and I wanted to hold his hand just to acknowledge what he had gone through, I let him quickly change the subject.

We have so many heros.

I was wasting time in a Minneapolis mall (Ridgedale or Southdale) and went into a Borders bookstore. Inside on one of the display tables was a book that had the stories of most (if not all) of the Medal of Honor winners. I say most because there may not be any from the time when the honor was first bestowed (I don't exactly recall when that was).

Anyhow, one that stuck in my mind was how this one soldier, a guy who wanted to be a Green Beret but was washed out and became a member of the 82nd Airborne in Viet Nam ended up going into a town in Vietnam with 5 of his teammembers and perhaps 12-24 "indiginous fighters" (South Vietnamese fighters) to rescue a couple of dignitaries. I don't remember the entire detailed account but he ended up saving everyone he was sent to rescue AND went up against roughly 225 NVA head on and survived without severe injury. As I read it I was saying to myself "Jeebus Parise, this guy was Rambo!"

The ceremony was terrific. What a shame that I had never heard of this man before; how his papers were "lost" is disgraceful. I imagine it's one of many untold indignities to one of many of our nation's heros.

Selfishly, I was proud when the gentleman mentioned his opinion of those of us that were standing even though we didn't know this man. He was right on the money.