SiouxSports.com Forum

Anyone Heading To Madison?

mksioux

Despite the downward spiral of the team, I'll be in Madison cheering on the Sioux and hoping for the best. Any other Sioux fans making the trip? Is there a bar where most fans go to before a game (preferably within walking distance to the Kohl)?

As I mentioned in another thread, Al Pearson's bus trip to Madison is still on for the weekend. At last count, there were 25 people going. We're staying at the Rodeway Inn and I'm pretty confident that most people on the bus will find a place to tipple, though we seem to do most of it after the game, rather than before. Drowning our sorrows over the last 10 games, unfortunately. Here's hoping our luck's about to change.

Re: sports bar, are you thinking of Buck's on Regent St? (the "wrong" direction from the Kohl Center, away from State St). I used to live about a block from that place.

That name doesn't sound right, but I could be wrong. From the HoJo, it was the wrong way to the Kohl Center. It was still the closest bar to that hotel. I remember being on University at night, but that was at Club Amazon. Do you have any recommendations for a good sports bar? Did you enjoy living there? That is one city I would like my internship to be at.

Moving the other direction from Kohl Center (toward State), you hit the Nitty Gritty (very popular pre-game, but not really much of a sports bar). On State St, State Street Brats is probably the best sports bar. I can't really think of anything else I'd call a sports bar near the Kohl Center. UPDATE: I asked my wife and we came up with Babe's on W. Washington as the place by the train car.

If you go half a mile further down Regent toward Camp Randall, Oakcrest Tavern is a good sports bar (runs a shuttle to the Kohl Center for events).

Of course, State St and University are full of plenty of bars.

I think somone student-age would love living in Madison. I had a blast living downtown when I was at least a few years older than student age (though the town is actualy a bit smaller than I like, personally).

I live in Madison now (originally from Bis. and went to school in G.F.). Madison is a great place to live. For my wife and I, it is the ideal size, big enough to get almost everything you want from a large city, but small enough to not feel uncomfortable.

I'd be interested in getting together with some fellow fans if we decide on a place.

It looks like Nitty Gritty, State Street Brats, or Babe's are all within walking distance of the Kohl (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). For those that are familiar with these places, which would have the best pre-game atmosphere for Sioux fans?

State Street Brats wouldn't be bad. I've never been to Babes. I know I've been to the Nitty Gritty, but for the life of me, I can't remember it. I think it is know for being a pretty good burger joint as well and I also believe it is the closest to the Kohl.

There are a few other bars down that way that could be moved to if needed.

I always go to the Big 10 after games... before is anyone's guess! Does anyone have any "insight" on where the majority of Sioux fans will be BEFORE the game?

Post quickly!

???

I'm in Madison now, but I haven't heard anything. I think this town is ready to get swept.