SiouxSports.com Forum

06-07 Mr. Hockey

Stiouxy

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the other 5%.

Welcome to the other 5%? So in your opinion I am wrong for believing Wurden should have won Mr. Hockey? So Paul Castron (Amateur scout NHL), Dave Hakstol, Dave Siciliano, and Brian Murphy are all wrong when they want to sign, scout, recruit, play Danny Wurden instead of Herbel?

Danny Wurden had only 9 less points than Herbel as a d-man. Not only that, while Herbel was skating circles around guys from hockey powerhouses like Rivers Collegiate, Bismarck JV, Dickinson, Bienfat, Central Butte, Antler River, and Boissevaine, Wurden was playing against teams like White Bear Lake, Moorhead, Grand Forks Red River, Rochester Century, Stillwater, and Grafton.

With the overwhelming evidence supporting Danny Wurden for Mr. Hockey, I am comfortable saying Wurden was shafted. I am going to no longer argue on this subject because I have yet to hear someone support Herbel in an intelligent manner. Take your beliefs, and I'll take mine, and at the end of the day, I'm glad to be sided with the likes of hockey gurus at levels much higher than that of this message board.

*An intelligent case to support Herbel for Mr. Hockey would have been...

Eric Herbel left his Jr. year to persue his career in hockey with the Omaha Energy AAA in NE. This is clear representation of his commitment to the sport, and the amount of sacrifice he is willing to have to succeed. He rejoined his high school for his senior year despite playing with lower quality players than that with the Energy. He put the success of himself behind that of the team and helped Bottineau to a record of 11-12-1. Despite not having as high quality players as teams like South and Grafton, Herbel was still able to produce an incredible 53 points in just 24 games. Herbel is not only a goal scorer, he has proved he is a good sportsman aswell. Herbel only acquired a total of 8 penalty minutes in those 24 games. Eric is commited to excellence not only on, but off the ice aswell. Unlike some other Mr. Hockey finalists, Herbel is great in the classroom and in the community aswell. It has been rumored that the Bismarck Bobcats of the NAHL have expressed interest in Herbel, although there is no solid evidence to support this claim, it is reasonable to see why they would be interested.

Welcome to the other 5%? So in your opinion I am wrong for believing Wurden should have won Mr. Hockey? So Paul Castron (Amateur scout NHL), Dave Hakstol, Dave Siciliano, and Brian Murphy are all wrong when they want to sign, scout, recruit, play Danny Wurden instead of Herbel?

Danny Wurden had only 9 less points than Herbel as a d-man. Not only that, while Herbel was skating circles around guys from hockey powerhouses like Rivers Collegiate, Bismarck JV, Dickinson, Bienfat, Central Butte, Antler River, and Boissevaine, Wurden was playing against teams like White Bear Lake, Moorhead, Grand Forks Red River, Rochester Century, Stillwater, and Grafton.

With the overwhelming evidence supporting Danny Wurden for Mr. Hockey, I am comfortable saying Wurden was shafted. I am going to no longer argue on this subject because I have yet to hear someone support Herbel in an intelligent manner. Take your beliefs, and I'll take mine, and at the end of the day, I'm glad to be sided with the likes of hockey gurus at levels much higher than that of this message board.

*An intelligent case to support Herbel for Mr. Hockey would have been...

Eric Herbel left his Jr. year to persue his career in hockey with the Omaha Energy AAA in NE. This is clear representation of his commitment to the sport, and the amount of sacrifice he is willing to have to succeed. He rejoined his high school for his senior year despite playing with lower quality players than that with the Energy. He put the success of himself behind that of the team and helped Bottineau to a record of 11-12-1. Despite not having as high quality players as teams like South and Grafton, Herbel was still able to produce an incredible 53 points in just 24 games. Herbel is not only a goal scorer, he has proved he is a good sportsman aswell. Herbel only acquired a total of 8 penalty minutes in those 24 games. Eric is commited to excellence not only on, but off the ice aswell. Unlike some other Mr. Hockey finalists, Herbel is great in the classroom and in the community aswell. It has been rumored that the Bismarck Bobcats of the NAHL have expressed interest in Herbel, although there is no solid evidence to support this claim, it is reasonable to see why they would be interested.

Wurden, we get it. :silly:

So, if I am reading this right, Herbel was named the winner of the 2006-2007 Outstanding Senior Athlete in North Dakota because the coaches in the West Region conspired together to give all of their first place votes to him. Is that correct?

Also, could someone point me to the section in the criteria for the award where it says that the winner must be the player that goes the furthest as far as hockey career goes? Seems that has been bantered about by some posters here as a reason Herbel should not have won the award. To me it also seems that it is very difficult to read into the future in order to determine who that person will be. maybe some different stages should be factored in, such as "who is the most successful hockey player next year", or "who is the most successful hockey player in five years", as each of those appear to be requirements for winning this award according to a couple of posters on here.

Maybe the award, since it has already been decided and won't be changed, should just be left as it is. Not everyone's favorite player, or son, can win.

Choyt could you point out to me where in the criteria for the award it says it should go to someone who wasn't the best senior hockey player in the state?

All I can say is Herbel is Mr. Hockey and I'am 100% sure of that. Wilbur, why don't you start a theard,that

will read " Who Are You and Where did you Play". I think there is a lot of home cooking on this post and little hockey

experience. Go MAGI!!!!!!!

All I can say is Herbel is Mr. Hockey and I'am 100% sure of that. Wilbur, why don't you start a theard,that

will read " Who Are You and Where did you Play". I think there is a lot of home cooking on this post and little hockey

Go Magi? Please, that team is already starting to get that tickle in their throat in anticipation of choking again in the first round of state next year.

Does anyone know what the requirements are (if any) for a minimun GPA for the Mr. Hockey award?

Being able to tie your shoelaces without drooling all over yourself first. Seriously, I don't think that most coaches (the same coaches that vote for Mr. Hockey) care about GPA. Almost every team has those one or two players that the team depends on but are as dumb as a box of rocks. Funny thing is that most coaches always find a "way" to keep those players eligible.

Being able to tie your shoelaces without drooling all over yourself first. Seriously, I don't think that most coaches (the same coaches that vote for Mr. Hockey) care about GPA. Almost every team has those one or two players that the team depends on but are as dumb as a box of rocks. Funny thing is that most coaches always find a "way" to keep those players eligible.

If Herbel had a great GPA, his coach would definitly use that to his advantage in the voting process. If Wurden did not have a great GPA, I would hope Wilson would not bring it up. Because there are rules on releasing a students grades, Wilson could simply claim he does not know what Wurdens GPA is and because of that it should not affect the voting. For all the coachs know, Wurden could have a 3.5. Now I'm not sure if that happend, or if you can really conceal a students grade like that when he is up for an award like Mr. Hockey, but it would be a logical to solution for a coach to promote a player that has less than spectacular grades.

I thought I had heard once that some of the criteria for Mr. Hockey included:

A decent GPA

extra cirricular activities (other than hockey)

community service time (and not the kind for punishment)

hockey skills (of course)

leadership skills on and off the ice

There are probably more, but these are some that were discussed.

Okay...a fun little jab at me?

I agree that there are a lot of people out there that haven't played hockey at any competitive level who post things about players that are very disrespectful on this board. Personally, I played high school hockey, but that still doesn't mean I'm going to go out of my way like others with no hockey experience to rip on players, or rip on a specific team.

Go Magi!

• 1 month later...
So who DID win Mr. Hockey this year?? In MN and ND....

Sorry if this has already been mentioned.....

Ryan McDonagh of Cretin-Derham Hall High School is 2007 Minnesota Mr. Hockey.

Eric Herbel of Bottineau ND Mr. Hockey for 2007.

Does anyone know how many winners of the Mr. Hockey award in North Dakota have gone on to skate in the NHL?

Well, from the data that I have in front of me, which includes the names of all Mr. Hockey winners from 1991 to the present the answer would be none. Not sure why you are asking the question (e.g. are you interested in how many ND hockey players are in the NHL, or just focusing on the Mr. Hockey winner, maybe using this as a proxy measure for something, etc, etc). Being a small state, in terms of population and the number of hockey teams, it is not unusual for some North Dakota players to leave high school early for juniors. Many of those players would have been a Mr. Hockey and some of them have played games in the NHL (Ryan Potulny for one and Danny Irmen is another). Minnesota has a strong high school hockey culture and many of the top end players stay and plan through their senior year - and win the Mr. Hockey award. On the Minnesota side, the interesting question would be (given the large number of players who stay and play high school hockey, and the high quality of the players) how many Minnesota Mr. Hockey winners have not played in the NHL.

On the Minnesota side, the interesting question would be (given the large number of players who stay and play high school hockey, and the high quality of the players) how many Minnesota Mr. Hockey winners have not played in the NHL.

I can think of one: Dave Spehar.

I can think of one: Dave Spehar.

Well, yeah, Spehar went to my wife's high school Duluth East. Since 1991, if you want to compare ND to Minn the names are Darby Hendrickson (Yes), Bonin (?), Checco (?), Crowley (Yes), Rasumusen (?), Spehar (No) Miskokvich (?), Pohl (yes), taffe (?), Martin (?), Sertich (no), Guyer (no). If I had my old copies of Let's Play Hockey I could answer the question as they list Minnesota players in the NHL but I tossed them a couple of months ago. Actually, this really points out how tough it is to make it in the NHL and that perhaps, the Mr. Hockey award is not that great of an indicator of success at the NHL level. Can anyone help out on some of these players?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, yeah, Spehar went to my wife's high school Duluth East. Since 1991, if you want to compare ND to Minn the names are Darby Hendrickson (Yes), Bonin (?), Checco (?), Crowley (Yes), Rasumusen (?), Spehar (No) Miskokvich (?), Pohl (yes), taffe (?), Martin (?), Sertich (no), Guyer (no). If I had my old copies of Let's Play Hockey I could answer the question as they list Minnesota players in the NHL but I tossed them a couple of months ago. Actually, this really points out how tough it is to make it in the NHL and that perhaps, the Mr. Hockey award is not that great of an indicator of success at the NHL level. Can anyone help out on some of these players?

Minnesota Mr. Hockey Winners and NHL Games Played by them.

1985-Tom Chorske - 596 games played - Canadiens/Devils/Senators/Islanders/Capitals/Flames/Penguins

1986-George Pelawa - 0 games played (drafted by the Calgary Flames, but never played in the NHL)

1987-Kris Miller - 0 games played (drafted by the Montral Canadiens, but never played in the NHL)

1988-Larry Olimb - 0 games played (drafted by the Minnesota North Stars, but never played in the NHL)

1989-Trent Klatt - 781 games played - North Stars/Stars/Flyers/Canucks/Kings

1990-Joe Dziedzic - 130 games played - Penguins/Coyotes

1991-Darby Hendrickson - 518 games played - Maple Leafs/Islanders/Canucks/Wild/Avalanche

1992-Brian Bonin - 12 games played - Penguins/Wild

1993-Nick Checco - 0 games played - (drafted by the Quebec Nordiques, but never played in the NHL)

1994-Mike Crowley - 67 games played - Mighty Ducks

1995-Erik Rasmussen - 545 games played - Sabres/Kings/Devils

1996-Dave Spehar - 0 games played (Was not drafted in the NHL draft)

1997-Aaron Miskovich - 0 games played (drafted by the Colorado Avalnache, but never played in the NHL)

1998-Johnny Pohl - 82 games played - Blues/Maple Leafs

1999-Jeff Taffe - 100 games played - Coyotes/Rangers

2000-Paul Martin - 232 games played - Devils

2001-Marty Sertich - 0 games played (Was not drafted in the NHL draft)

2002-Gino Guyer - 0 games played (drafted by the Dallas Stars, but never played in the NHL)

2003-Nate Dey - 0 games played (Was not drafted in the NHL draft)

2004-Tom Gorowsky - 0 games played (Was not drafted in the NHL draft)

2005-Brian Lee- 0 games played (drafted by the Ottawa Senators, but never played in the NHL)

2006-David Fischer - 0 games played (drafted by the Montreal Canadiens, but never played in the NHL)

2007- Ryan McDonagh - 0 games played (Has not yet been drafted, could be at the NHL Draft in June)

• 2 weeks later...

Minnesota Mr. Hockey Winners and NHL Games Played by them.

1985-Tom Chorske - 596 games played - Canadiens/Devils/Senators/Islanders/Capitals/Flames/Penguins

1986-George Pelawa - 0 games played (drafted by the Calgary Flames, but never played in the NHL)

1987-Kris Miller - 0 games played (drafted by the Montral Canadiens, but never played in the NHL)

1988-Larry Olimb - 0 games played (drafted by the Minnesota North Stars, but never played in the NHL)

1989-Trent Klatt - 781 games played - North Stars/Stars/Flyers/Canucks/Kings

1990-Joe Dziedzic - 130 games played - Penguins/Coyotes

1991-Darby Hendrickson - 518 games played - Maple Leafs/Islanders/Canucks/Wild/Avalanche

1992-Brian Bonin - 12 games played - Penguins/Wild

1993-Nick Checco - 0 games played - (drafted by the Quebec Nordiques, but never played in the NHL)

1994-Mike Crowley - 67 games played - Mighty Ducks

1995-Erik Rasmussen - 545 games played - Sabres/Kings/Devils

1996-Dave Spehar - 0 games played (Was not drafted in the NHL draft)

1997-Aaron Miskovich - 0 games played (drafted by the Colorado Avalnache, but never played in the NHL)

1998-Johnny Pohl - 82 games played - Blues/Maple Leafs

1999-Jeff Taffe - 100 games played - Coyotes/Rangers

2000-Paul Martin - 232 games played - Devils

2001-Marty Sertich - 0 games played (Was not drafted in the NHL draft)

2002-Gino Guyer - 0 games played (drafted by the Dallas Stars, but never played in the NHL)

2003-Nate Dey - 0 games played (Was not drafted in the NHL draft)

2004-Tom Gorowsky - 0 games played (Was not drafted in the NHL draft)

2005-Brian Lee- 0 games played (drafted by the Ottawa Senators, but never played in the NHL)

2006-David Fischer - 0 games played (drafted by the Montreal Canadiens, but never played in the NHL)

2007- Ryan McDonagh - 0 games played (Has not yet been drafted, could be at the NHL Draft in June)

brian lee and david fischer are still playing in college so don't say they never played in the NHL... McDonagh will get drafted and Danny Wurden was the best player in North Dakota last season