SiouxSports.com Forum

06-07 Mr. Hockey

Stiouxy

Mr. Hockey finalists half way through the season.

Wurden(FSH), Miller(GPR), McDougall(FSH), Stremick(MIN),(gotta have a finalist from the west....)

you've got to be kidding, Stremick is not the besty player in the west.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So then who is?

According to some in this message board, it may be Eric Herbel. I have yet to see Michael Hillman play this year but I would have to think he's a favorite to be a Mr. Hockey candidate from the West. As of right now Hillman is the top senior goalie in the west with a 90% save percentage.

Mr. Hockey finalists half way through the season.

Wurden(FSH), Miller(GPR), McDougall(FSH), Stremick(MIN),(gotta have a finalist from the west....)

No Diechert on there? I think that if South goes deep into State, which they most likely will do, I have to think that Diechert or Wurden will be Mr. Hockey. You have to give McDougall credit for getting points, but I don't see him winning Mr. Hockey. He should be getting points like that with all of the other good players around him. Miller is also having a good year, and he has had a very successful High School career. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but when they vote for Mr. Hockey, do they just base it off the most recent season, or over the seasons the players have played at the High School Level?

No Diechert on there? I think that if South goes deep into State, which they most likely will do, I have to think that Diechert or Wurden will be Mr. Hockey. You have to give McDougall credit for getting points, but I don't see him winning Mr. Hockey. He should be getting points like that with all of the other good players around him. Miller is also having a good year, and he has had a very successful High School career. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but when they vote for Mr. Hockey, do they just base it off the most recent season, or over the seasons the players have played at the High School Level?

Although the voting is based on the season at hand, I believe previous years sometimes sway a coach's vote. I used to joke Paul Weisgarber had Mr. Hockey won before his senior season even began. Just my two cents.

You must have a boner over this Chad Demers kid, he isn't even that good. There is no way that the Gophers are looking at him.

He isn't good? Going into last night here were his stats for the year.

4th most points in state Chad Demers GPR Sophomore F 13 Goals; 12 Assists; 25 Total Points; He added a goal last night in GPRs 8-2 win over Fargo North

He was a key player in the Bantam A Championship they won last year as well

You must have a boner over this Chad Demers kid, he isn't even that good. There is no way that the Gophers are looking at him.

U must be one who like little boys because you are thinking Boner. I hope I don't see you on Dateline. And as far as the Gophers not wanting him you are wrong because I know from really close source to Chad. Not saying they are pushing hard for him just simply stateing they are looking at him. MAYBE YOU ARE JUST SPOILER HATER.....

U must be one who like little boys because you are thinking Boner. I hope I don't see you on Dateline. And as far as the Gophers not wanting him you are wrong because I know from really close source to Chad. Not saying they are pushing hard for him just simply stateing they are looking at him. MAYBE YOU ARE JUST SPOILER HATER.....

Come on guys lets be civil. It is not uncommon for players to get looked at by division one colleges early in their high school years. (This is not intended to be a knock on Demers, or any of the following players named.) Trevor Anderson of the Fargo South Bruins was sent a letter from the NTDP when he was in either ninth grade or his sophomore year in high school, telling him that they would be scouting him. Elliot Okland of Fargo North had an abundance of letters from division one schools after his impressive campaign at the Select 17 festival. What it comes down to is that these teams look at everyone that has the slightest chance of developing into something big. Looking, and recruiting are two different things entirely. If such a statement is true, good for Chad Demers and that should be all the more incentive to work harder in the off-season. If it is not true, it should not have been stated on this board in the first place.

First off in all of your posts you mention Chad Demers, you are just getting all defensive because I called you out. I'm not stupid the Gophers are not interested in Chad Demers.

First off in all of your posts you mention Chad Demers, you are just getting all defensive because I called you out. I'm not stupid the Gophers are not interested in Chad Demers.

I guess that must make me stupid then since i know the kid and the family and stateing what I heard. What is your solid evidence he hasn't been looked at by the Gophers.

Come on guys lets be civil. It is not uncommon for players to get looked at by division one colleges early in their high school years. (This is not intended to be a knock on Demers, or any of the following players named.) Trevor Anderson of the Fargo South Bruins was sent a letter from the NTDP when he was in either ninth grade or his sophomore year in high school, telling him that they would be scouting him. Elliot Okland of Fargo North had an abundance of letters from division one schools after his impressive campaign at the Select 17 festival. What it comes down to is that these teams look at everyone that has the slightest chance of developing into something big. Looking, and recruiting are two different things entirely. If such a statement is true, good for Chad Demers and that should be all the more incentive to work harder in the off-season. If it is not true, it should not have been stated on this board in the first place.

I am not going to put their name out there but it came from with in the family to one of friends who told me. Know I am done talking about it.

This is another unrelated note but I was looking at the roster for the Buffalo Sabres and forward Paul Gaustad was listed as being from Fargo, ND. Does anyone have any information on this?

Yes. There is a Gaustad on the Grafton HS roster this year, one of the sophomores. His dad is Dan Gaustad. Paul Gaustad is the nephew of Dan Gaustad (Paul's dad and Dan Gaustad are brothers) and lived in Fargo for awhile. They moved to Oregon a few years back, and Paul Gaustad played in the WHL rather than college. He then went to Buffalo's AHL team and was brought up to the Sabres, I believe last year.

Yes. There is a Gaustad on the Grafton HS roster this year, one of the sophomores. His dad is Dan Gaustad. Paul Gaustad is the nephew of Dan Gaustad (Paul's dad and Dan Gaustad are brothers) and lived in Fargo for awhile. They moved to Oregon a few years back, and Paul Gaustad played in the WHL rather than college. He then went to Buffalo's AHL team and was brought up to the Sabres, I believe last year.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they moved to Oregon before Paul started youth hockey. I don't think he ever played hockey in Fargo.

Dan Gaustad also lived out west for a few years before coming back to Grafton, where the family is from. He is an attorney in Grand Forks and Grafton.

Doc & Sally Gaustad have a lot to be proud of, they are the grandparents of 4 professional hockey players...2 in the NHL-Paul Gaustad(Buffalo Sabres) & Ryan Potulny(Philadelphia Flyers). The other 2 are Grant Potulny who is playing in the AHL with the Binghamton Senators & Paul's younger brother(don't remember his name) who is playing professionally in the minors.

For those of you who don't know the Gaustad's... they are terrific people...even though they had to transform into Gopher fans for obvious reasons.

Doc & Sally Gaustad have a lot to be proud of, they are the grandparents of 4 professional hockey players...2 in the NHL-Paul Gaustad(Buffalo Sabres) & Ryan Potulny(Philadelphia Flyers). The other 2 are Grant Potulny who is playing in the AHL with the Binghamton Senators & Paul's younger brother(don't remember his name) who is playing professionally in the minors.

For those of you who don't know the Gaustad's... they are terrific people...even though they had to transform into Gopher fans for obvious reasons.

I don't know about a younger brother, but I believe Paul has an older brother who was playing in the ECHL, not sure if he is still there. I think he played college hockey in the MIAC. I thought Paul was the youngest, but I could be wrong. That is quite the hockey family, I had forgotten their daughter married a Potulny.

• 1 month later...

I haven't seen Wurden play this season, but to get EDC senior athlete of the year probably means you'll be Mr. Hockey. My guess is that Miller from GPR will probably be another finalist alongside Herbel and probably either Deichert, Hillman or McDougal?