SiouxSports.com Forum

Shea Hamilton

riders06

When is Shea Hamilton eligable to play for the Sioux? If he had to sit out a semester, is he eligable to play tonight because the semester is finished? Will he have an impact in the lineup?

has to sit out a full year. he can play starting next season. i think he'll be a gritty 3rd liner, much like fabian, with a little better scoring touch.

I'm going with the "he came from a sub-standard program at Alaska so he must suck" theory. Actually I don't think that, I just wanted to see what it felt like to blast one of our player's. I think he'll do just fine. We'll just have to wait until next year to see exactly where he will fit into the lineup.

haha.. couldn't agree more Snake.

How did Kaip ever get drafted?? I guess Mason did too.. maybe they just pull names out of a hat.

When you pick players for DI it is with a view that there is the potential for them to get better, some take longer and some never do. Given the size of the Sophomore class you have to accept the good with the bad and hope that some of the others can elevate their play as juniors. Sadly for some of these players, the expectations at UND are such that they could be looking for playing time elsewhere next season.

Kaip maybe won't put up more than a couple goals a year but he is one of the better passers on the team.

I like Kaip. I thought he'd be a Prpich type player. He has a TON of hustle on the ice (though it's overlooked thanks to the hustle put up by Porter and Oshie).

As for Kaip's pro aspirations, I think it was pretty clear that, even before donning a Sioux uniform, his chances at making the NHL were that of a long shot. Most 9th round draft picks are long shots (seen as such so strongly now that the NHL draft no longer even has an 8th or 9th round). Every team would like to draft a Henrik Zetterberg, Luc Robitaille, or Brett Hull (all were drafted in the 7th round or later) but the chances of that happening aren't all that high.

Nevertheless, some impress at the right time (Kaip) and others impress after they've become too old to be eligible and other, younger players have eclipsed their talent (Rory McMahon).

Draft position, to me, really only matters if you are drafted in the first 10 picks of the first round. After that, it generally goes by tiers. Top 10 are potential sure fire NHL players (top 5 potential NHL stars) and the rest graded according to where they are at developmentally, what potential upside they may have in the style of the game the team that drafts them plays, and likelihood to pan out.