SiouxSports.com Forum

Western HS Hockey

The Minot JV plays in the Williston turnament but not the Varsity.

Some of you were wondering why the West deserves their own thread. I will tell you why. It is because the ND high school hockey thread gets filled with page after page of arguments about whether Fargo South rules or Grand Forks rules (or something similar). Fun to read sometimes but other times I want to see game scores and read some stuff about the West.

The bus did get a few rabbits thrown at it in Williston.

I back Kraft up all the way. He did not taunt the Williston players; he never even realy said anything to them. He was quick about it, gave the puck to the fans, and went back to his bench. He was not trying to make the Williston players mad or anything like that. He did not do it to make a name for himself. He was doing it for the fun of it. Now saying that, if another player does the same thing I will not support him.

I'd never support a mini-Terrel Owens on ice skates. And definitely not Dillon Kraft since his personality is wanting to show-off and be cocky. I mean he tells me and my friends everyday during school that he wants to get into a big fight during a game. I'm sorry but it's classless and really gives a bad image of the overall Minot High hockey team.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd never support a mini-Terrel Owens on ice skates. And definitely not Dillon Kraft since his personality is wanting to show-off and be cocky. I mean he tells me and my friends everyday during school that he wants to get into a big fight during a game. I'm sorry but it's classless and really gives a bad image of the overall Minot High hockey team.

I don't see Dillon Kraft as trying to be like Terrel Owens. Kraft has not been in a fight yet this year. He is a smart player and does not take stupid penalties. He was not being cocky and a show-off.

I don't see Dillon Kraft as trying to be like Terrel Owens. Kraft has not been in a fight yet this year. He is a smart player and does not take stupid penalties. He was not being cocky and a show-off.

I'm not big on cutting down players on message boards because of their ability to play the game, so I'm going to try to focus solely on his actions as far as celebrations go. Everyone thinks it would be funny to do such things, but realize that it is an immature and and downright disrespectful way to represent yourself and your team. World class athletes get criticized for actions such as these. If it is unacceptable for a world class athlete to do, don't you think it's probably something someone with one goal and one assist in 8 games should not do? Obviously not everyone wants to play hockey above high school and Dillon probably won't, however, if he did I would love to see the reaction to such a play in a Jr. A game. I would be willing to bet that he would not be all gung ho on wanting to getting into big fights during the game and showing up his opponents after a goal (providing he ever scored a goal). If such a move was pulled in a league in which fighting was legal, I don't think Dillon would have had an easy going the rest of the game.

You have got to be kidding. You honestly think that what he did was not to be cocky and a show-off? What do you think his reason was? Is he God's gift to hockey, so he thinks that everyone must want an autographed puck from him?

Sit his ass on the bench for a game and see how much everyone misses him.

You have got to be kidding. You honestly think that what he did was not to be cocky and a show-off? What do you think his reason was? Is he God's gift to hockey, so he thinks that everyone must want an autographed puck from him?

Sit his ass on the bench for a game and see how much everyone misses him.

Thats just it though, if his coach did sit him for a game he wouldn't be missed at all. He has 2 points in 8 games playing in the west. He's a weak classless player on a weak team.

He did what he did to show off. If someone would have come up to me and had me guess which Minot player would do something stupid like autograph a puck, he would be the first kid I picked to do something like that.

Last year while I was at college at UND I went to the Minot game against Grafton in Grafton. I got to the rink in about the third period of the JV game, and the same kid goes right up to the Grafton goalie who had just covered the puck, and pretends to slash him while he had a big smile on his face. The reff gave him unsportsmanlike conduct, which I completely agreed with. One example of a stupid penalty.

Well if his actions in the game weren't enough to prove this, you should go read some hockey threads on northdakotapreps.com. He is easily the most cocky person on the board, not an easy thing to do when most of its members are other high school players. :lol:

Well if his actions in the game weren't enough to prove this, you should go read some hockey threads on northdakotapreps.com. He is easily the most cocky person on the board, not an easy thing to do when most of its members are other high school players. :lol:

The history of choking and crap such as what Kraft did a couple of nights ago is why the Minot High hockey program is considered to be a source of shame and embarassment to those of us who played years ago. They can't even get out of the consolation round at state and their players act like all-stars and pros. Under Samson, the hockey team had no discipline and now it has become routine part of the system. Samson's a great guy but I do not think that he was too good at snapping the kids into line. All MHS hockey players now should be aware of how sad that program is compared to what it used to be, have some humility and guts and start doing something worthwhile in the post-season.

Call me old school, but that was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in a high school hockey game...Yeah you scored a goal, but why on earth do you show up the other team by getting the puck out of the net and then signing it like some primadonna football player. For any Williston fans or other hockey fans I apologize for this because Minot already has a bad reputation in cities around the state. Gosh...I just don't know what else to say...

Personally I think he should have been given a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct, but then I guess some people I talked to had no problem with it. Still, there is no place for that in the game of hockey.

I've NEVER been more upset after a Minot goal.... :huh:

This was a classless act by a classless player. I think Chad Burchard is a good young coach who preaches discipline. It will be interesting to see how he responds to this. Some things happen away from public scrutiny and can be dealt with privately, discipline wise. This was done very much in public, so whatever discipline comes of it should be public as well. It would be sad if there were no action taken by Minot High.

If my mite grew up and played hockey in squirts, bantams, or high school and pulled a stunt like that, I wouldn't need the school board, coach, state representative, or the pope to bench his a** because I would do it myself.

In the kid's defense, what DON'T kids pick up in this Stuart Scott "boo-ya" world of ESPN highlights. It's style over substance and kids get a daily dose of it on Sportscenter.

I wouldn't have bothered to sit him on the bench. . . .he would have been on his way to the locker room to remove his stuff. Show some class and act like you have been there before! I certainly hope that Burkhard sent some sort of message to the rest of the players, as that kind of thing should NOT be tolerated!!

I wouldn't have bothered to sit him on the bench. . . .he would have been on his way to the locker room to remove his stuff. Show some class and act like you have been there before! I certainly hope that Burkhard sent some sort of message to the rest of the players, as that kind of thing should NOT be tolerated!!

From another board

minotfan

sports:

sports IQ:

Posted: Sat Dec 23rd, 2006 11:43 am

It sounds to me like all you guys are jealous. If that would have happened at your school you guys would be talking about how much of an idiot a guy from your team is for doing this. You have to admit that is one of the coolest things to ever happen in high school hockey. As for Coach Burckhard having a big long talk with him about it, the coach doesn't really even care about it at all. He laughed about the whole thing and wants to frame the puck.

Sounds like the coach might also be in dire need of a well placed Gordie Howe elbow. :silly:

From another board

minotfan

sports:

sports IQ:

Posted: Sat Dec 23rd, 2006 11:43 am

It sounds to me like all you guys are jealous. If that would have happened at your school you guys would be talking about how much of an idiot a guy from your team is for doing this. You have to admit that is one of the coolest things to ever happen in high school hockey. As for Coach Burckhard having a big long talk with him about it, the coach doesn't really even care about it at all. He laughed about the whole thing and wants to frame the puck.

Sounds like the coach might also be in dire need of a well placed Gordie Howe elbow. :silly:

Hey petey23, I'm curious where you heard the quote from Phil Kessel Sr.? I heard the same quote, but it was about 5 years ago and it was in association with a AAA hockey team out of Minnesota. Is this the same instance, or has it been used more than once by Mr. Kessel?

The fact that someone said the kid does not take stupid penalties kind of puzzles me. This should have been at least a 2 minute unsportsmanlike or if I had it my way a 10 minute misconduct, but instead from what I hear he got away scott free. Had he been at any EDC program in the state there is no doubt in my mind he would have sat the rest of the game and maybe received a suspension, or even be removed from the team. I am not a total Scrooge on WDA play, but incidents like this and the lack of reprucussions cause me to lose a little bit of respect for the officials, Minot High, and most importantly Dillon Kraft.

Hey petey23, I'm curious where you heard the quote from Phil Kessel Sr.? I heard the same quote, but it was about 5 years ago and it was in association with a AAA hockey team out of Minnesota. Is this the same instance, or has it been used more than once by Mr. Kessel?

I read it in either the Star Trib or Pioneer Press, can't remember which? It was a direct quote from Phil Sr. though.

The fact that someone said the kid does not take stupid penalties kind of puzzles me. This should have been at least a 2 minute unsportsmanlike or if I had it my way a 10 minute misconduct, but instead from what I hear he got away scott free. Had he been at any EDC program in the state there is no doubt in my mind he would have sat the rest of the game and maybe received a suspension, or even be removed from the team. I am not a total Scrooge on WDA play, but incidents like this and the lack of reprucussions cause me to lose a little bit of respect for the officials, Minot High, and most importantly Dillon Kraft.

I guess I would add Coach Burkhard to the mix if, in fact, he did nothing to discourage similar acts in the future!! :silly:

I know that most likely that was the first game he carried it.

Also, I do not support classless acts, but like I said, I don't realy see this as a very classless act.

I find it very hard to believe the one game he has a sharpie hidden in his breezers he scores his only goal of the year. That just doesn't add up.

My information is that Burchard gave him a two game suspension and that Burchard has apologized to the Williston coaching staff for the incident.

From what I know of Coach Burchard, that is along the lines of what I would have expected. He is a breath of fresh air.