SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux/Lakers Game Thread

HockeyMom

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess since we're on the topic of Division I........One thing I'm definately looking forward to is the renewing of the UND-NDSU rivalry. Today's loss hurts, and I guess the one thing I always fell back on in the past after a season was, "Well at least we beat the Bison", or "Shoot, we didn't beat those darn bison this year, we better get them next year!" This season I guess we can be happy about the Conference Championship, ending Omaha's season, and the game at Northern Iowa, but it would still have been nice to beat a team like the Bison this season.... :glare:

Next important Question

Who will be the QB next season... ;)

I guess since we're on the topic of Division I........One thing I'm definately looking forward to is the renewing of the UND-NDSU rivalry. Today's loss hurts, and I guess the one thing I always fell back on in the past after a season was, "Well at least we beat the Bison", or "Shoot, we didn't beat those darn bison this year, we better get them next year!" This season I guess we can be happy about the Conference Championship, ending Omaha's season, and the game at Northern Iowa, but it would still have been nice to beat a team like the Bison this season.... :glare:

Next important Question

Who will be the QB next season... ;)

Probably either Freund or Landry, with an outside chance of an incoming transfer. On the bright side, with a pair of receivers like Dressler and Trenbeath, a running back like Chappell, and an experienced offensive line including a pretty good receiving tight end in Grover, it's about as good of a situation as possible for a new quarterback.

I'm far more concerned about what the defense will look like next year. There are definitely guys returning who played a lot this year, but even with five senior first-team all-conference players, this defense had some shortcomings. I'm not sure how realistic it is to expect improved play given how many new starters there will be.

My apologies to those who miss the annual Sioux/Bison game, but it is my opinion that playing the Bison again would be like taking a step backwards. That is something that is in our past, and now we have much bigger fish to fry.

As for Grand Valley, I would love to see them in I-AA very soon. They're a great team that could beat anybody in I-AA right now and probably even some of the weaker D1 teams.

I can't believe this, but I share the same viewpoint as DaveK. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. :lol:

Good luck to you guys and your pursuits in DI. Hopefully you can get into the BigSky and the xDSU's can get into the Gateway.

Greatest sioux senior class of all time?:D come on. No question it was the 2001 class. Fricken' National champs. Go Sioux. Still a great season.

I wasn't downplaying the significance of the 2001 senior class that won the national championship. Certainly that stands as the most significant feat ever accomplished by a UND football team, and that year's senior class deserves tremendous credit for it.

However, as has been noted, UND

Edited by PCM

Agreed. I think as far as being a "TEAM" this group embodied that maybe as much if not more so than any other class. Not a group of a bunch of individuals but a team of guys that had to show up everyday, had nothing handed to them, and fought for every little bit. First with WIll Kusler and Chris Beatty, probably no more self-less individuals then these two, since they did it for 6 years. Then you look on O at Manke, Groeschol, Logering, Belmore, Bronson, Tatom, Muscha, Murry, those guys were all team. I was glad Logering got a big catch , wish he would have scored. (Ref must not have known his story). On defense you had Brennan, Wolff,Ulsperger, Enger, ZBJ, Hoffschneider, DeSautel, Greenwood, all of whom outside of Enger were starting their first games of their careers. I love them all and enjoyed watching them all.....it would be nice to start a legacy of sioux fans on this board, posting their most memorable moments of each of the seniors or any of the seniors that you would choose....I think my greatest memory of Ulsperger was hitting Finnerty in the Regional Finals and Wolff scooping it up and getting to see their enthsusiasm. MY happiest Logering moment was that catch, and what I thought was a touchdown..Thats just to name some quick ones Im sure Ill post others...P.S. Im going to repost this in a new thread so people will respond,,

This game once again showed that you can't constantly have one on one coverage on big fast receivers and hope to survive. Alexander was overmatched and had no help covering Fowler.

I had hoped that our defensive scheme would have take this into consideration but I saw no proof of that. It's tough to stop the other team if you can't get to the quarterback and you can't cover their receivers. That first quarter we would have been better in a dime defense than our customary defense. Or at least thrown something different at them occasionally to hopefuly confuse them.

The first quarter was not just that we couldn't stop them we also could not move the ball. With 15 yard punts compounding the problem I was worried that Grand Valley would get the ball on their own 20 yard line sooner or later.

Our team looked shellshocked as I was.

It just felt like we didn't represent ourselves well but at least we didn't mail it in and kept trying until the end.

You can't judge the "Best" Sioux teams by the number of wins and losses because you play so many games these days. Plus you get about 3 wins a ear on cream puffs alone. :D You will have to go add 3 wins to every team that didn't play a 10-11 game schedule. Also, you will notice there are more records being broken the past 5 years than ever before because the guys have that many more chances to throw a TD, catch a pass, kick a FG and so on.

So this senior class has played 55 games. In the 90s and earlier you played a regular season of 8 or 9 games, how can you compare a class in different decades by the number of wins or losses because they could only win 8 or 9 games. Yeah, give them credit for making the playoffs but there was only 4 seeds out of the region back in those days now there is 6.

Now when you talk about the best teams the 1993 team sticks out about the rest because they raised the bar in Sioux football history. Then obviosly you have to look at the 2001 and 1998 team. I can't pull the great teams earlier out of my head but I am sure there are some that existed.

Even DCSiox would have to agree with this, right buttcakes!!

My apologies to those who miss the annual Sioux/Bison game, but it is my opinion that playing the Bison again would be like taking a step backwards. That is something that is in our past, and now we have much bigger fish to fry.

As for Grand Valley, I would love to see them in I-AA very soon. They're a great team that could beat anybody in I-AA right now and probably even some of the weaker D1 teams.

Bigger fish that the #4 team in DI-AA?? Surely that is a joke....... :lol:

HAHA! I almost cried I was laughing so hard when I was reading this. The difference in athletic ability is amazing between D2 and D1-AA. It isn't even the same game, the speed difference is ridiculus. Top of D2 against top of D1AA is not close.

What evidence to you actually have to support this argument. Nearly every time a top D-II has played a top I-AA (Look at the top teams in each division, not when I-AA's schedule some of the garbage D-II's) it has been a close game with many times the top D-II coming out on top. The only advantage top I-AA's have is increased depth created through a higher number of scholarships. It certainly is good your name is Lives-to-play Hockey rather than Lives-to-Play football, when your making statements like that.

HAHA! I almost cried I was laughing so hard when I was reading this. The difference in athletic ability is amazing between D2 and D1-AA. It isn't even the same game, the speed difference is ridiculus. Top of D2 against top of D1AA is not close.

Someone of Importance and Knowledge once said "It's a different level not necessarily a Higher level"

Someone of Importance and Knowledge once said "It's a different level not necessarily a Higher level"

Agreed it is however a level with increased national exposure, has more peer schools, and doesn't feel the need to water down the quality of the division for the sake of a the have- nots (a la D-II).

While I think it is important to remember that making a generalization about the superiority of top D-II or D-IAA teams is not wise, I believe you have to make one very important observation: NO DI-AA team (including NDSU) believe they should have the game at the D-II site. Nearly always the game is played on their home field. The twelveth man does help! I do not believe there is a lot of difference between the eleven men that line up on each side of the ball. The depth at their backup positions does begin to show at the higher levels. Any given game on any given Saturday can provide for a perceived "Upset."