SiouxSports.com Forum

Direction of the Team

sioux7>5

After watching the game's this weekend on the internet. i am getting worried about this team. Does anyone else feel that as early as it is in the season, they might be seeing their season slip away from them. For a team with so much talent I am waiting for some domination, and I am not seeing it? Or am I cracked and I need to relax and remember it is early still and hope the get on track.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I've posted before, every season has its ups and downs. Lets hope that this is the down point and our high point is in Jan, Feb, and most of all March. So far this season there are times when we are on and times when we are off. That's good for a young team in a young season. If this team, especially with the talent on it, can become consistent and be on every game they will definetly make another run for a WCHA title and national title. For the people taking shots at Hakstol, give the guy a break, in his first two years he's been to two Frozen Fours, won a WCHA playoff title, and has a better NCAA playoff record in the past two years than any team. He helped bring in the best 05 recruit class in the country and is bringing another top recruit class in 07. Not to add on to the fact he already has verbals from Cichy and Kristo. Not to many coaches have done that their first two years, not Lucia, Blais, or Eaves.

the team should probably be headed in the direction of the nearest cliff. this is possibly the worst sweep in sioux history. i doubt we'll win more than two games the rest of the year. just look at what all is wrong with the team:

all three of our coaches are canadians, which means we'll never get any more us born players.

shuning steve johnson means all players in the ushl automatically hate UND.

we have two goalies who don't know how to play at all. luckily, our 3rd stringer walski is the second coming.

our "captain" chris porter is the worst offensive player on the team. he couldn't score even if briggs was in net.

joe finley is just a giant goon. he'll never learn how to pass or play defense. he should be cut.

the atmosphere in the ralph sucks, which means we won't have home-ice advantage ever again.

the students just swear all day, which hurts the players ears, so they can't concentrate.

the ncaa will make UND forfeit all of their games because of the nickname. (there go the 2 wins)

am i missing anything?

the team should probably be headed in the direction of the nearest cliff. this is possibly the worst sweep in sioux history. i doubt we'll win more than two games the rest of the year. just look at what all is wrong with the team:

all three of our coaches are canadians, which means we'll never get any more us born players.

we have two goalies who don't know how to play at all. luckily, our 3rd stringer walski is the second coming.

our "captain" chris porter is the worst offensive player on the team. he couldn't score even if briggs was in net.

joe finley is just a giant goon. he'll never learn how to pass or play defense. he should be cut.

the atmosphere in the ralph sucks, which means we won't have home-ice advantage ever again.

the students just swear all day, which hurts the players ears, so they can't concentrate.

the ncaa will make UND forfeit all of their games because of the nickname. (there go the 2 wins)

am i missing anything?

Sarcasm I imply?

am i missing anything?

:silly:

I agree its a little too early to get really concerned. I think the coaching staff will work on some lineup changes, which will hopefully start to put some more points on the board. I am concerned with the defense. For as much "talent" as we have on the blueline, they sure aren't playing like it. We can't go all year giving up 30+ shots a game. Nothing against the Seawolves, but if there was a team in the WCHA that they should have been able to defensively stiffle, it was them, and yet they allowed around 25-30 shots both games. I think if they can tighten their belts defensively, mix up the lines, and start cycling the puck around the boards like UND is famous for, things will turn around. Only time will tell.

I would like to see the UND defense concentrate more on hitting and little less on being up ice trying to score. I would like to see some of our defensemen becoming more physical and knocking some heads off people. I mean cleanly of course. Maybe they need to eat some dog food and get meaner. I have never seen a group of UND players that hit so little compared to years past.

I think someone is right we do miss Brad Berry and the mentoring he gave the d-man.

I would like to see the UND defense concentrate more on hitting and little less on being up ice trying to score. I would like to see some of our defensemen becoming more physical and knocking some heads off people. I mean cleanly of course. Maybe they need to eat some dog food and get meaner. I have never seen a group of UND players that hit so little compared to years past.

I think someone is right we do miss Brad Berry and the mentoring he gave the d-man.

This simply is not a physical d corps. Lee is not a physical defenseman at all and neither is Chorney. Jones is feisty but does not throw many checks. Finley for his size does not use it well at all. Bina is probably the only defenseman we have right now that can throw a body check.....plain and simple.

am i missing anything?

To respond to your comments.....

-Why would all our coaches being Canadian have anything to do with it? We are a U.S. team, so we will have good U.S. players. even when all the coaches were American, we had CANADIAN players. So why when we have al Canadian coaches can't we get U.S. players, when we are IN THE U.S.? and besides, who cares if our players or coaches are canadian or not, as long as we WIN WIN WIN and bring home #8!!

-Steve Johnson? who needs him? explain why he is better than Hextall, Malone, LaPoint, Marto, Trupp, Kristo, and/or Cichy? and if he is? so what?

-Lammy and Greico can't play? since when? Lammy was the backup to one of the best UND goalies in history (Parise) for the last few years, and when Parise had his slump(s) Lammy was right there to fill in and clean up last year. This year, he is off to a pretty good start, but just cause he isnt doing as well as YOU would like him to, dont be so quick to judge. Get YOUR ass out there and do better. Greico is young. Not his fault Lammy got hurt. He got put in the #1 position and did great! So he let in some sloppy goals this weekend....hey at least it gave Walski a chance to play. just remember what people were sayin about Parise when he started. Greico will shine for UND i guarantee you that.

-How could you even make the statement Porter is the worst offensive player on the team? Not only does he have 11 points (which is more than Oshie, Toews, and 2nd on the team only to Duncan), but he is a great passer and a wonder at setting up plays. Oh, and by the way, Hak consistently praises him for his leadership on and off the ice. Check your stats next time before making such an assanine comment.

-You think Finley can't play? Where do you get off thinkin THAT?He is an everpresent wall, who plays very well in the corners i might add. He may not pass or set up plays, but he is not an offensive D-man, he is a Defensive-Dman....an enforcer, and needless to say he does that job well. maybe he isnt perfect at it, but....who is perfect?

-this is the most idiotic statement yet.....the ralph's atmosphere sucks? holy hell are you serious? do you even go there on a regular basis? if not, GO SOMETIME. if so, you need to get out of the ralph then and do the rest of us a favor by NOT detracting from the amazing environment. the ralph is the BEST college hockey arena in the nation, and easily one of the loudest, if not THE loudest. it is kept very clean by everyone working there, and is run very very well by the staff. the atmosphere sucks? PUUUHHHLLLLEEEAAAAASSSSEEEEE.......

-students swear....umm....DUH....so does every other student at every other school. who cares? i can tell you right now most of those players dont hold their tongues any better than the crowd does, at least to themselves. it's called being an adolescent male (or female :silly: ) its part of life. if you dont like it, GO HOME.

-oh btw, doesnt sound like you heard.....WE SUED THE NCAA AND WE CAN USE THE NICKNAME..........

am i missing anything?

:silly:;) You forgot: ;):0

Hakstol shouldn't have gotten the job in the first place. It was Sandelin's. And when in the hell is Blais coming back?!?!

UAA really doesn't really belong in the WCHA, since making the trip out there throws off everybody's sleep cycle, including mine.

The NHL scouts/teams obviously screwed up when they thought Toews, Oshie and Lee were prime draft picks. These guys couldn't play floor hockey without wasting space.

If Ralph hadn't donated the money for the new arena, we wouldn't be in this mess. It's distracting and should be leveled for a new WalMart.

:silly:;) You forgot: ;):0

Hakstol shouldn't have gotten the job in the first place. It was Sandelin's. And when in the hell is Blais coming back?!?!

UAA really doesn't really belong in the WCHA, since making the trip out there throws off everybody's sleep cycle, including mine.

The NHL scouts/teams obviously screwed up when they thought Toews, Oshie and Lee were prime draft picks. These guys couldn't play floor hockey without wasting space.

If Ralph hadn't donated the money for the new arena, we wouldn't be in this mess. It's distracting and should be leveled for a new WalMart.

haha, now the sarcasm makes sense :-P

We keep bringing in players that only stay a year or two, it doesn't matter if they are first round NHL picks, they hurt the team. DaveK has a mullet and likes crappy hair bands, which somehow affects the Sioux. Hakstol is taking advice from Redwing77. All of the Fargo North players are on drugs, Walski is clearly pushing his poisons on the rest of the team. The Gophers are now ranked #1, which clearly shows some sort of anti-Sioux conspiracy.

I've heard (probably just rumors) that this year's team likes to party too much. Partying and drinking could certainly slow a team down. Maybe they need some disciplining, like Blais was known for being good at. Hakstol needs to get tougher I think. :silly:

We are very inexperienced up front this year and Lammy getting hurt has exposed a D-corps with flaws. Every school is going through some adjustments at this time of the year (excepting Minnesota, of course, they're perfect once again). In general, we over-react after every series one way or the other. Either they're great and headed to the Frozen Four or they suck and we need a whole new team. Relax and enjoy the ride!

I have every confidence in what Coach Hakstol is doing and what he will accomplish in March. His track record shows we can expect a different Sioux team by then.

For now, we hang with them because they are our team. So ... Go Sioux, kick the turkey out of CC.

Oh, and I wouldn't want to be a player at practice today! May need some shovels to clean the ice! There will be points to be made by the coaches this afternoon, I suspect.

Since I have changed my screen name I will not be Hakstol bashing like the two previous years under my alter ego rayman03. I think Goon is right on this team not being very physical but Hakstol recruits and they have to play with there strengths. What is bothering me the most is our lack of finishing plays,we make all kinds of nifty passes and moves that make your jar drop but the puck doesn't just go into the net and then we can't seem to keep it out of ours. We have lots and lots of talent Haksrol just has to find the right combos to make them come together at the right time,maybe try some weird combos like Finley and Genoway on defense and Oshie-Forney-Kaip well you get the picture.It's very early in the season and I have confidence Hakstol will have it all mixing well after the X-mas break.Everbody keep your chins up and Go Sioux ;):silly: