SiouxSports.com Forum

"Neutral Site Solution" to NCAA Nickname Ban?

fightingsioux4life

Some of you will think I am crazy for suggesting this (a lot of people think I'm crazy, anyway! :huh: ), but I think I might have a solution for our football team for the playoffs in case we can't get a court-ordered injunction against the NCAA before the playoffs start on November 18th.

If our team earns a high enough regional ranking for home playoff games (not a lock, by any means), I propose that we rent out the Fargodome (a neutral site) for our "home" playoff games, assuming the NCAA doesn't come up with an excuse to forbid it. I heard Tom Buning talk about a "neutral-site solution" on television (KVLY) shortly after the NCAA mandate was announced in 2005. There are many advantages to this:

1) It would be a neutral site (Fargodome) in a neutral city (Fargo). We would not be "hosting".

2) No "hostile and abusive" imagery for the NCAA to get mad about (unless you count the Bison logos! :)).

3) A short one-hour drive for the team. And fans like myself. ;)

4) Plenty of Sioux alums in Fargo to fill the place up.

5) Plenty of seating for the opposing team (more proof that it's a "neutral site")

6) The Fargodome would finally host a playoff game (sorry Bison fans, couldn't resist! :( ).

7) Related to #6, the Dome would make some money out of the deal, encouraging them to go along with this.

8) The NCAA would also make some money off of the deal. I call this an advantage because if there is one thing the NCAA likes more than political correctness, it's the Almighty Dollar.

Crazy? I suppose. But in situations like this, you have to think outside the box. By using the NCAA's own arrogance and greed against them, we can get a better deal for our team and give us a shot at getting to Florence before we move up and go on playoff probation (starting in 2008). Hopefully, North Dakota's legal team will be able to get the injunction and all of this will become a moot point.

Flame away!

A quick read of the NCAA's edicts indicates that schools in UND's situation are barred from "hosting" NCAA post season championships/playoffs. My guess is that regardless of where the game is actually played, the NCAA will say that UND can't "host", whether the game would be in Grand Forks, Fargo, Minneapolis, etc., and regardless of whether any Sioux names or logos appear in the venue. The more interesting question to me is what will happen if UND were to finish 9-1, which clearly would warrant a relatively high seed. Would they simply give UND the lowest seed (6)? Would they give UND the seed they actually earned, but allow the lower seed to host, which, depending on UND's actual seed, could mean that a 5 or 6 seed got to play at home, but a 3 or 4 seed did not? What about the bye that the top two seeds get? If UND were simply to be given a 6 seed, not only would they not get to host, but they would also then be required to play an extra game. There could be all kinds of issues that will arise if UND actually wins out.

A quick read of the NCAA's edicts indicates that schools in UND's situation are barred from "hosting" NCAA post season championships/playoffs. My guess is that regardless of where the game is actually played, the NCAA will say that UND can't "host", whether the game would be in Grand Forks, Fargo, Minneapolis, etc., and regardless of whether any Sioux names or logos appear in the venue. The more interesting question to me is what will happen if UND were to finish 9-1, which clearly would warrant a relatively high seed. Would they simply give UND the lowest seed (6)? Would they give UND the seed they actually earned, but allow the lower seed to host, which, depending on UND's actual seed, could mean that a 5 or 6 seed got to play at home, but a 3 or 4 seed did not? What about the bye that the top two seeds get? If UND were simply to be given a 6 seed, not only would they not get to host, but they would also then be required to play an extra game. There could be all kinds of issues that will arise if UND actually wins out.

It is a huge can of worms the NCAA has opened with this ridiculous policy. Lets just say hypothetically that the season finished with UND as the #1 seed and GVSU as the #3 seed. (I know UNO beat us and that won't happen but bear with me). Now lets say that USD gets in as the #4 seed and Winona as the #6 seed. So Winona would get a home game while USD has to travel to Grand Valley. It gives the weakest team in the playoff field the unfair advantage of hosting. Had UND not lost to UNO and went into the final week of the season #1 in the region, teams ranked 4-6 would be fighting it out to get the #6 seed because they know theyd get their first game at home. What would the 4 and 5 seeds think about that if it ever played out. If this ever happened, half of the Northwest Region would be pissed at the NCAA. While meant to penalize UND the enforcement of this insane policy could corrupt the entire playoff system and penalize every lower seeded team that isn't fortunate enough to draw UND as an opponent.

It is a huge can of worms the NCAA has opened with this ridiculous policy. Lets just say hypothetically that the season finished with UND as the #1 seed and GVSU as the #3 seed. (I know UNO beat us and that won't happen but bear with me). Now lets say that USD gets in as the #4 seed and Winona as the #6 seed. So Winona would get a home game while USD has to travel to Grand Valley. It gives the weakest team in the playoff field the unfair advantage of hosting. Had UND not lost to UNO and went into the final week of the season #1 in the region, teams ranked 4-6 would be fighting it out to get the #6 seed because they know theyd get their first game at home. What would the 4 and 5 seeds think about that if it ever played out. If this ever happened, half of the Northwest Region would be pissed at the NCAA. While meant to penalize UND the enforcement of this insane policy could corrupt the entire playoff system and penalize every lower seeded team that isn't fortunate enough to draw UND as an opponent.

Maybe the NCAA would come to the conclusion that it's too much of a hassle, just ban UND from post-season play all together. Perhaps they could implement this through executive action. Maybe UND is suing the NCAA to prevent such future action. Just thinking out loud.

When NWMSU lost its home playoff game because the field was not suitable they didnt lose their seed, they simply traveled to the opponents stadium. Since it all depends on a coin toss, homefield gives no advantage except number of fans.

Do you even read what you post? Homefield gives no advantage but fans? Are you off your rocker? Is this Bison spin since you haven't hosted a playoff game in the dome?

The Alerus is a huge advantage for North Dakota. Why don't you ask your buddies at Cal-Davis about the domefield advantage?

Only Secretary-General Brand and the NCAA Politburo (I suggest we start calling them that from now on) would think that UND playing it's games in the Fargodome would be considered "hosting". It is still a road game, just not on the opponent's home field; which it should not be if they are the lower seed. If their stated goal was to eliminate Native American imagery from "their" tournaments, then this would do just that. Of course, their real goals are much loftier. :)

I think the issue of the temporary and permanent injunctions will give us an idea of what chances we have with the overall lawsuit. If a judge grants the injunction, I think it would indicate that our case has a good chance of prevailing. If the judge doesn't grant the injunction, I think we better start brainstorming a new name right now.

I tend to think we will get the injunction because of all the inconsistencies in the NCAA's policy and justification of that policy. If it wasn't so unfair to our players and coaches, I would suggest we decline any football playoff bids awarded under these restrictions (just to stick it to the NCAA Politburo). But my instincts say we won't have to make that kind of choice.

Some of you will think I am crazy for suggesting this (a lot of people think I'm crazy, anyway! ;) ), but I think I might have a solution for our football team for the playoffs in case we can't get a court-ordered injunction against the NCAA before the playoffs start on November 18th.

If our team earns a high enough regional ranking for home playoff games (not a lock, by any means), I propose that we rent out the Fargodome (a neutral site) for our "home" playoff games, assuming the NCAA doesn't come up with an excuse to forbid it. I heard Tom Buning talk about a "neutral-site solution" on television (KVLY) shortly after the NCAA mandate was announced in 2005. There are many advantages to this:

1) It would be a neutral site (Fargodome) in a neutral city (Fargo). We would not be "hosting".

2) No "hostile and abusive" imagery for the NCAA to get mad about (unless you count the Bison logos! :blush:).

3) A short one-hour drive for the team. And fans like myself. :0

4) Plenty of Sioux alums in Fargo to fill the place up.

5) Plenty of seating for the opposing team (more proof that it's a "neutral site")

6) The Fargodome would finally host a playoff game (sorry Bison fans, couldn't resist! :D ).

7) Related to #6, the Dome would make some money out of the deal, encouraging them to go along with this.

8) The NCAA would also make some money off of the deal. I call this an advantage because if there is one thing the NCAA likes more than political correctness, it's the Almighty Dollar.

Crazy? I suppose. But in situations like this, you have to think outside the box. By using the NCAA's own arrogance and greed against them, we can get a better deal for our team and give us a shot at getting to Florence before we move up and go on playoff probation (starting in 2008). Hopefully, North Dakota's legal team will be able to get the injunction and all of this will become a moot point.

Flame away!

Do you really think there's any chance NDSU would allow that.

Here's an off the wall suggestion. How about THE SWAMP in Gainesville FL. HOME OF THE GATORS. Hey, it's just an off the wal suggestion that's all.

Thanks TommieJ! We'd just need to find a way to transport 10,000 Sioux Fans down there...got a Greyhound Discount Card*?

(* - If so .... contact Al Pearson!)

Here's an off the wall suggestion. How about THE SWAMP in Gainesville FL. HOME OF THE GATORS. Hey, it's just an off the wal suggestion that's all.

I would have to vote for Bobby Bowden Field at Doak S. Campbell Stadium . I am sure the NCAA would have no problems with that. Maybe we could even borrow their mascot since we don't have one.

What about Northwestern's Ryan Field at Dyche Stadium? That stadium name has the same pronounciation that the NCAA should find hostile and abusive....

NOTE: I do know for a fact that it is called Ryan Field and that Dyche Stadium supposedly is the name of the stadium. For YEARS it was just called Ryan Field, but there was some sort of dispute and the college named it Ryan Field at Dyche Stadium... I do not know if they still call it that, maybe it was dropped. The media guide references both.