SiouxSports.com Forum

2006/2007 Women's Basketball

4siouxnow

I'm very curious as to whether UND is seriously recruiting Devils Lake's Ashley Privatsky? She's a 5'8" junior point guard who is currently leading the EDC in points, assists and steals, each by a pretty wide margin. With all the hype surrounding Kamille Wahlin (and justifiably so), Privatsky may be flying under the radar to an extent, since she is in the same grade, plays the same position and is the same size. Particularly if Wahlin chooses Minnesota or some other school besides UND, Privatsky would appear to be somebody to keep an eye on.

I have a feeling Wahlin will not choose UND. She has several other D-1 offers to schools that are tournament eligible. If she attends UND she will not get a single year of eligibility.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a feeling Wahlin will not choose UND. She has several other D-1 offers to schools that are tournament eligible. If she attends UND she will not get a single year of eligibility.

While I'd love for UND to get Wahlin, I won't be overly disappointed if she chooses a major conference school like Minnesota or Iowa State. I'd be disappointed if she chooses NDSU, as UND simply hasn't lost out to NDSU for a really good northwestern Minnesota player in awhile. In any event, all the more reason to keep an eye on Privatsky. I think she's very good.

I just have one thing to say: KIMBROUGH ROCKS!!!!! Way to go Kierah! :angry:

Must agree...tough place to play...tough place to win...great to hear Maffin in the line-up and contributing...gotta make the free-bees...that could've..I mean did...kill us...Kimbrough sounded like she had another great game...great job ladies!!

The Bemidji womens basketball coach has said that the Sioux were the best team he had played this year. He said the Sioux were better than the Rabbits from SDSU. After watching the Rabbits on TV today I have to admit I agree with him. The quality of play in the game today was not very good. There were lots of air balls, lots of undisciplined play, poor shooting at times, missed free throws at key times, poor decision making at key times, and lots of poor passing. I know towards the end of the game Vogel had only 2 baskets for SDSU. Once again the NCC from top to bottom really has a high standard of play. I have to admit I really thought the quality of play was going to be a lot better. Maybe SDSU just had a bad day, and that is possible.

The Bemidji womens basketball coach has said that the Sioux were the best team he had played this year. He said the Sioux were better than the Rabbits from SDSU. After watching the Rabbits on TV today I have to admit I agree with him. The quality of play in the game today was not very good. There were lots of air balls, lots of undisciplined play, poor shooting at times, missed free throws at key times, poor decision making at key times, and lots of poor passing. I know towards the end of the game Vogel had only 2 baskets for SDSU. Once again the NCC from top to bottom really has a high standard of play. I have to admit I really thought the quality of play was going to be a lot better. Maybe SDSU just had a bad day, and that is possible.

I haven't seen SDSU play at all since they left the NCC, but from what I've read, they feel like they're better than they were during their best dII years. Whether or not that's true, I don't know. They have beaten a number of "name" dI teams, so for that they should be commended. They probably don't have any single win as big as NDSU's men have (Wisconsin and Marquette), but overall I think they have done the best of the four SU basketball teams in terms of having a high number of quality wins over teams from major conferences. I would like to think UND's women will have similar success, but much of that will depend on the recruiting over the next few years. I don't necessarily think the recruiting has to be any better than it's been, but it can't fall off, either.

The biggest disappointment in the NCC so far has to be SCSU. They're now 12-6 overall (1-3 in the NCC), and have apparently lost their starting point guard (the one who all but guaranteed the Huskies would beat the Sioux in St. Cloud) to a probable season-ending knee injury. In other words, their questionable depth just got worse. Given the fact that they're likely only the fourth-best team in the NCC, and that the way they're going they'll likely have at least 10 losses by the end of the regular season, it's questionable whether they'll even make it back to the national tournament this year.

I don't believe the first regional poll comes out until next week, but this is how I believe the teams would probably be ranked right now:

1. UND (20-1)

2. Augustana (19-2)

3. Metro St. (12-3)

4. Nebraska-Kearney (11-3)

5. South Dakota (13-3)

6. Northern St. (13-4)

7. MSU-Moorhead (12-4)

8. Regis (11-4)

I see on the SDSU site they were talking about the women looking for a possible NIT bid at the end of the season, is this possible with them not being through the transition. If it is then I think that could be a big boost to UND as it goes forward with recruiting

for the women. This would give them something to play for at the end of the year and would be a great way to end a season.

Great win Saturday, let's keep thing rolling.

I see on the SDSU site they were talking about the women looking for a possible NIT bid at the end of the season, is this possible with them not being through the transition. If it is then I think that could be a big boost to UND as it goes forward with recruiting

for the women. This would give them something to play for at the end of the year and would be a great way to end a season.

Great win Saturday, let's keep thing rolling.

Yes, both SDSU and NDSU teams are eligible for the NIT. The SDSU women and the Bison men would both like to make that field. With all the "name" teams the Jacks have beaten, I would think their women have a very good chance. The Bison men have played a lot of "names" very tough, but lost. They may still have a chance.

You are correct - this is something that UND teams could strive for during the first few years.

Yes, both SDSU and NDSU teams are eligible for the NIT. The SDSU women and the Bison men would both like to make that field. With all the "name" teams the Jacks have beaten, I would think their women have a very good chance. The Bison men have played a lot of "names" very tough, but lost. They may still have a chance.

You are correct - this is something that UND teams could strive for during the first few years.

Has the NCAA actually made a proclamation on this? It seems that all the information is coming from schools that feel that since they can't get into the NCAA field, they are eligible for the NIT yet the NIT is owned by the NCAA. A message repeated a million times is no more true the millionth time than it is the first time. Still, as noted, if it is true it does give teams something to play for.

The Herald is reporting this morning that Jenna Gillett, a junior from Dakota Prairie, has committed to play BB for the Sioux. I know coach Roebuck has been looking at her for a long time. From what I understand she may be somewhat of a project but she has a great deal of potential.

The Herald is reporting this morning that Jenna Gillett, a junior from Dakota Prairie, has committed to play BB for the Sioux. I know coach Roebuck has been looking at her for a long time. From what I understand she may be somewhat of a project but she has a great deal of potential.

I hope she's very athletic, and as such plays bigger than 6'0", as it's pretty unusual for Roebuck to sign a post player of that height.

Does not look that big too me, I hope she can play more than with her back to the basket, as we move forward there is no way 6' will cut it in the post this is the size we need at the 2 ans 3 position not the 5 or even the 4.

Hard to judge size from a picture and it matters if you can "play taller"...I agree, the posts will have to get bigger, but sometimes the taller the player, the more non-athletic they can be...of more of a concern to me is what kind of knee injury is already side lining her as a junior?? Knees are very touchy injuries and to have some sort of one at this point concerns me.

Here is a link for more photos from Jenna's high school team, she is # 52. Her cousin Kirstie is #32, who will be at UND next season. Jenna won't be in the photos from the Saturday game against Drayton or Friday game against Carrington. Jenna is definitely a project, but with a red shirt year, it will almost 3 full years before she would be eligible for a game. Players at this level are hard to judge because they don't have to work that hard to dominate, just use size and strength. Definitely hard to tell how she will end up with some hard work and good coaching. They were ranked # 2 in state last week, but fell this week following a loss with Jenna sitting out because of her knee.

photos

I think #32 Kirstie looks very athletic in many of the pictures, good vertical and just looks like a strong good athlete.

UNO has been in a bit of a spin having lost 3 of 4, their best players are guards, we should be able to dominate inside, they don't have the 3 pt shooters that USD had.

Looks like maybe SDSU didn't beat Minnesota. Link

The fact that Minnesota allowed SDSU to be close enough to be in a position to win, AND the fact that they were smoked by a down NDSU team earlier this year, tells me Borton should get the Monson/Mason treatment before the program regresses all the way back to where it was during the Littlejohn era. However, I'm sure Roebuck, Ruley, Johnston, etc. want her to stay around. It can only help recruiting having her there to scare off potential recruits from Minnesota.