SiouxSports.com Forum

2006/2007 Women's Basketball

4siouxnow

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice win by the Sioux women. The team they beat tonight was the national runner up 2 years ago. I f I'm not mistaken the Sioux women set a record for most road victories in a row tonight. I don't think they have lost a road game for a couple of years. This is definitely the deepest team they have ever had. They can just about use any player on the roster at any time in the game. It's going to be tough to keep the winning streak going thou. They are just way to many talented women's teams out there now days. St. Cloud for starters next Thursday is going to be tough.

From Wayne Nelson's article today:

And the league's biggest game will be in Grand Forks, where St. Cloud takes on UND. The teams have dominated the NCC the last two seasons, with St. Cloud having the upper hand, thanks to Quigley.

SCSU has been to the past two elite 8's, but has only beaten UND once in the past 10 games between the two teams. To me, that's like saying the UND football team has had the upper hand against UNO of late based upon this year's playoff win.

I hate to say this but SCSU will win tomorrow night because their bigs will dominate ours.

I don't think so. Even if Quigley gets 30, I don't believe SCSU has enough of a supporting cast to get it done this year. Their point guard last year, Sascha Hansen, was a huge key for them. She's gone, and hasn't been close to being replaced in the lineup. UND has superior depth, and far more balanced scoring. I think the Sioux will win by at least 10 points. IMO, SCSU is on par with--or slightly better than--MSU-Moorhead and Concordia-St. Paul this year. The Sioux didn't have any problem with either of those teams, and I look for a similar result tomorrow.

I hate to say this but SCSU will win tomorrow night because their bigs will dominate ours.

No way will their bigs dominate our's, my guess is if you add the production of our 2 big's vs their 1 it will not be close. I do think Qiegley will get her's, but 92/96 is right on they simply do not have the supporting cast they had last year. I also believe you will see Ashleyreally step up her game, she has been getting better and better as has Kimbrough, if they let them play down low look for the Sioux to run away. CJ also is starting to hit her stride, the shot is starting to fall. These girls all have a chip on their shoulders from last year so be ready.

Anyone listen to Coach Roebucks show tonight, I tried to get it over the internet with no luck.

Roebuck said the key against SCSU would be to not allow Quigley offensive rebound put-backs, and not to foul her. Basically, make her earn her points. Maffin won't play, which will obviously affect UND's depth, but he is very pleased with the way Bagaason is playing. He also really praised Beck and Jahner. He feels Guinn is a starter, but likes bringing her off the bench because she can play four positions. He said Seay is going to be a great player, but needs to play more instinctive rather than being overly analytical. He said something to the effect that sometimes she's too smart for her own good.

"Oh Ye of little faith" - The score tells all. Our women are pretty deep. What was it for bench points? UND 24 or 26, SCSU 2? Sannes had some really good minutes. She's a big girl who can do some banging. Her fouls inside are really key! They were really tight the first few minutes...... They're going to be ok. Got a huge "head win." Bergen's two three's were huge too......

I'm sure some people are going to attack me for this, but in my opinion, against USD and some other teams without a true post, the Sioux really should consider going to a smaller starting lineup of Kimbrough, Guinn, Bagaason (or Maffin), Beck and Jahner. I am a Langen fan, but I just don't want to watch her try to guard a 5'11" player out on the perimeter, because that's what has happened in the past, and almost certainly will happen again. Kimbrough is not a great defender, but at least she's a lot more mobile than is Ashley. The point is, against some smaller, quicker NCC frontcourts, I don't believe you can play Kimbrough and Langen together and still play effective man-to-man defense.

The thing I can't figure out about Langen is what has happened to her shooting--both from the field and from the free throw line. Through her first two years, she shot .614 from the field, and .831 from the free throw line. This year, those numbers have dropped dramatically--.489 from the field, and .694 from the line.

"Oh Ye of little faith" - The score tells all. Our women are pretty deep. What was it for bench points? UND 24 or 26, SCSU 2? Sannes had some really good minutes. She's a big girl who can do some banging. Her fouls inside are really key! They were really tight the first few minutes...... They're going to be ok. Got a huge "head win." Bergen's two three's were huge too......

sportsforever...settle down! I just thought SCSU would win. I wasn't cheering for them just thought posed some mathc up problems for us.

I don't think we'll have it easy at their house, but I'm not so sure it's going to be all that tough!! I don't think they can beat us mostly because they don't have the bench. Like was mentioned earlier their bench only scored 2 points. We also had to play some pretty terrible basketball the first 10 minutes of that game to get behind as well!! They don't have the depth to stay in the game. If everyone noticed, Quigley was pretty tired that second half after playing pretty much the whole first half. If that is their strategy to beat us on their own court they're gonna have to do some MAJOR conditioning in the next few weeks. If you think about it we, UND, only played about a 30 minute game and we won by 20, granted they fouled us 2 or 3 times in the end of game but that still only adds up to, I believe 5 points as we missed one FT shot. So we beat them by 15 and we were tied at the half after coming back from a deficit. Imagine what can happen when we don't have the nerves that we had the beginning of that game.

Good Luck tonite Gals. But aparently Mankato won't be as tough as SCSU. Who knows what'll happen though!

I'm sure some people are going to attack me for this, but in my opinion, against USD and some other teams without a true post, the Sioux really should consider going to a smaller starting lineup of Kimbrough, Guinn, Bagaason (or Maffin), Beck and Jahner. I am a Langen fan, but I just don't want to watch her try to guard a 5'11" player out on the perimeter, because that's what has happened in the past, and almost certainly will happen again. Kimbrough is not a great defender, but at least she's a lot more mobile than is Ashley. The point is, against some smaller, quicker NCC frontcourts, I don't believe you can play Kimbrough and Langen together and still play effective man-to-man defense.

The thing I can't figure out about Langen is what has happened to her shooting--both from the field and from the free throw line. Through her first two years, she shot .614 from the field, and .831 from the free throw line. This year, those numbers have dropped dramatically--.489 from the field, and .694 from the line.

I don't want to attack you 92/96 however the same can be said for USD on the other end of the floor. They will have to stop our 2 posts and that seems to be a problem for teams even with a couple of other decent posts, such as St Cloud. I do think we are going to have to guard alot better around the arc, as we didn't do to good a job Saturday night and have faltered there earlier in the season, however having a week of practice now will help alot. In the end I think having weeks now with only 1 game several times may help us come tournament time. It will give the coaches time to really work on some things with the girls and may help them get their legs back for a big run to Kearney.

I don't want to attack you 92/96 however the same can be said for USD on the other end of the floor. They will have to stop our 2 posts and that seems to be a problem for teams even with a couple of other decent posts, such as St Cloud. I do think we are going to have to guard alot better around the arc, as we didn't do to good a job Saturday night and have faltered there earlier in the season, however having a week of practice now will help alot. In the end I think having weeks now with only 1 game several times may help us come tournament time. It will give the coaches time to really work on some things with the girls and may help them get their legs back for a big run to Kearney.

The key against USD is to defend the 3. That's pretty much the majority of their offense. The probem is that their "center", Robinette, is a good 3-point shooter, and Lavin tends to have her bring the ball up the court against UND. That forces Langen to defend her 25 feet away from the basket, which is asking a lot of Ashley. If Robinette isn't shooting well, then much of the problem is solved. If she is, then it probably becomes necessary to defend her with a smaller and quicker player. Since there probably won't be anybody else on the floor for USD who is a better matchup for Langen to defend, it's creates something of a dilemma for Roebuck.

I'm very curious as to whether UND is seriously recruiting Devils Lake's Ashley Privatsky? She's a 5'8" junior point guard who is currently leading the EDC in points, assists and steals, each by a pretty wide margin. With all the hype surrounding Kamille Wahlin (and justifiably so), Privatsky may be flying under the radar to an extent, since she is in the same grade, plays the same position and is the same size. Particularly if Wahlin chooses Minnesota or some other school besides UND, Privatsky would appear to be somebody to keep an eye on.

I doubt there's much, if any scholarship money left, but considering the uncertain future of Ledger, and Val Sannes's history of knee problems, I wonder if Roebuck is at all interested in Steve Brekke's daughter, who's 6'2" and a sophomore at Lake Region? It would be nice to have another post player.

The answer is "yes." link.