SiouxSports.com Forum

2006/2007 Women's Basketball

4siouxnow

UND played UMC both at home and on the road last year. I know non-conference games are tough to come by since so many of them are needed with just a seven-team conference, but I just can't understand why we would agree to travel to Bemidji two years in a row unless it was part of a home-and-home series like last year with UMC, and like the men have had with BSU the past few years.

I know scheduling has had some issues, I believe last year we almost had to pay Moorehead to play them at there place, but we need games, and nobody wants losses in pre-season.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know scheduling has had some issues, I believe last year we almost had to pay Moorehead to play them at there place, but we need games, and nobody wants losses in pre-season.

It just seems weird that the series with Northern, Concordia-St. Paul and Moorhead have all been what we would expect--we go there one year and they come here the other--but with Bemidji we go there two years in a row. :D

Kelling sat in for Roebuck on the coach's show tonight. She said the staff is very concerned with the work ethic being put forth by several players both during games and in practice. She was especially critical of Ashley Langen's lack of effort so far this season.

Is it normal for the women's coaches to call out players?

It'll be interesting to see how they respond.

Can the coaches show be picked up on the internet ?

The girls don't seem to be comming to play every night, they need to come full of enrgy and enthusiasim with a killer instinct every game, I think they may be coasting a bit because of the strength of the schedule, last year they beat Mary by almost 50 so it would be natural to be a bit over confident. The problem with this is that it will lead to complacency in other games. Ashley is a natural leader on this team because of her production over the last couple of years, and when she plays with emotion the whole team plays with emotion and that is what they need to do every game, or at least more consistantly. I think we will see this when it comes to conference games.

Can the coaches show be picked up on the internet ?

The girls don't seem to be comming to play every night, they need to come full of enrgy and enthusiasim with a killer instinct every game, I think they may be coasting a bit because of the strength of the schedule, last year they beat Mary by almost 50 so it would be natural to be a bit over confident. The problem with this is that it will lead to complacency in other games. Ashley is a natural leader on this team because of her production over the last couple of years, and when she plays with emotion the whole team plays with emotion and that is what they need to do every game, or at least more consistantly. I think we will see this when it comes to conference games.

Unfortunately, I don't think the coaches' shows are available over the internet. They're on 96.1 FM, but as far as I can tell, you can't pick up that station on the web except for when games are actually on.

I agree that the team seems to have a tendency to coast. With all due respect to Northern, Lewis and Mary, these are teams that UND should dominate, and it hasn't happened. Northern was actually better last year, and look how badly the Sioux beat them in the regional. If the effort and consistency don't pick up soon, UND will lose several games this year. Teams like the Seattle schools, SCSU, Augie, USD and UNO will be tough to beat on the road, and in some cases even at home.

Unfortunately, I don't think the coaches' shows are available over the internet. They're on 96.1 FM, but as far as I can tell, you can't pick up that station on the web except for when games are actually on.

I agree that the team seems to have a tendency to coast. With all due respect to Northern, Lewis and Mary, these are teams that UND should dominate, and it hasn't happened. Northern was actually better last year, and look how badly the Sioux beat them in the regional. If the effort and consistency don't pick up soon, UND will lose several games this year. Teams like the Seattle schools, SCSU, Augie, USD and UNO will be tough to beat on the road, and in some cases even at home.

I think everyone is having a tendancy to "call out" the women's team. They also did beat a very good Metro team and Texas A&M commerce. They are not the same team from last year and they won't be until more experience is gained. It is especially evident in the point guard position..it will take time to get a floor general like Malum was..if you haven't played a true point guard, it is not something you do right off. Boese was phenomenal..I think we'll get there, but all of the negative criticism from fans and coaches alike has to get old. Another change is coaching...Brewster had a lot to do with the posts and a calming effect on Roebuck..all the changes take time to gel. The posts are coming together when they are in there together, outside shooting has been ok. I'm not saying its right, but a bus ride to Bismarck to play Mary on a Tuesday is probably hard to get super fired up for...not necessarily a "step or two backward" but an off night. I remember barely beating Crookston last year and a few other marginal wins...I'd rather they get the bugs worked out now than lay an egg at the end of the year like last year. I think they'll get it together, but criticizing effort, etc publicly is going a bit far in my opinion. SCSU has struggled with a few games, losing to Bemidji and a dog fight at Concordia, I'm sure every team goes through the same thing. Until we start playing some better teams, I'll reserve judgement.

I think everyone is having a tendancy to "call out" the women's team. They also did beat a very good Metro team and Texas A&M commerce. They are not the same team from last year and they won't be until more experience is gained. It is especially evident in the point guard position..it will take time to get a floor general like Malum was..if you haven't played a true point guard, it is not something you do right off. Boese was phenomenal..I think we'll get there, but all of the negative criticism from fans and coaches alike has to get old. Another change is coaching...Brewster had a lot to do with the posts and a calming effect on Roebuck..all the changes take time to gel. The posts are coming together when they are in there together, outside shooting has been ok. I'm not saying its right, but a bus ride to Bismarck to play Mary on a Tuesday is probably hard to get super fired up for...not necessarily a "step or two backward" but an off night. I remember barely beating Crookston last year and a few other marginal wins...I'd rather they get the bugs worked out now than lay an egg at the end of the year like last year. I think they'll get it together, but criticizing effort, etc publicly is going a bit far in my opinion.

One might be able to make the case that the criticisms are somewhat unwarranted if they weren't coming directly from the coaching staff (and not just Roebuck), but it certainly appears to me that if the coaches are displeased, then it's not entirely unfair for the fans to be a little restless, as well. I can accept it if a player is giving her all but the results just don't come because of perhaps a lack of ability or a bout of cold shooting; but when effort is allegedly a problem, it should be a concern to anybody who cares about the program. The sky isn't falling and the Sioux are still a good team, but let's not kid ourselves and act like there's nothing to be concerned about.

For the first time in several years, I actually feel like the men's team is more fun to watch for the simple fact that they seem to be giving all they have and are arguably overachieving. The women, while probably one of the most talented dII teams in the country, are arguably underachieving, despite their very good record.

One might be able to make the case that the criticisms are somewhat unwarranted if they weren't coming directly from the coaching staff (and not just Roebuck), but it certainly appears to me that if the coaches are displeased, then it's not entirely unfair for the fans to be a little restless, as well. I can accept it if a player is giving her all but the results just don't come because of perhaps a lack of ability or a bout of cold shooting; but when effort is allegedly a problem, it should be a concern to anybody who cares about the program. The sky isn't falling and the Sioux are still a good team, but let's not kid ourselves and act like there's nothing to be concerned about.

For the first time in several years, I actually feel like the men's team is more fun to watch for the simple fact that they seem to be giving all they have and are arguably overachieving. The women, while probably one of the most talented dII teams in the country, are arguably underachieving, despite their very good record.

I guess I don't understand the underachieving part?? 10-1, but they are not blowing everyone away?? The Men won a huge victory against a very poor team..is that a better result?? I have been to most of the games and I am not at practice, but I guess I don't see a lack of effort? I am confused as to that..they have had some set backs with injury and illness, but I haven't seen any blatant lack of effort. The Men are definately headed in the right direction and they are mu8ch better than last year, but concerns or not, if the coaching staff has such grave concerns with the women's team, perhaps they should address them internally and not publicly.

I guess I don't understand the underachieving part?? 10-1, but they are not blowing everyone away?? The Men won a huge victory against a very poor team..is that a better result?? I have been to most of the games and I am not at practice, but I guess I don't see a lack of effort? I am confused as to that..they have had some set backs with injury and illness, but I haven't seen any blatant lack of effort. The Men are definately headed in the right direction and they are mu8ch better than last year, but concerns or not, if the coaching staff has such grave concerns with the women's team, perhaps they should address them internally and not publicly.

I'm not saying that it's right for the coaches to publicly call out a player or players. But now that the cat is apparently out of the bag, I think it's fair game for us to speculate that perhaps there's a measure of truth to it. And if so, that's a concern.

The underachieving comment is directed at the fact that three of the last six games have resulted in a loss and two close wins over teams with significantly less talent than UND (IMO). Mary has one win, I believe. Northern is pretty good, but probably no better than Moorhead, who UND defeated convincingly. I don't know that much about Lewis, but I wasn't all that impressed with their talent. I've only seen the home games, but I just can't say that UND is playing anywhere close to their ability. Or maybe they are, and they're just not as good as I thought. In either case, it's a little disappointing.

As for the men, I just like what I'm seeing from them. I think they're showing a lot of improvement. The women seem to be great one game, and average the next.

Thanks for the info on picking up the coaches show.

I think changes and growing pains are getting a bit confused with a lack of effort, sometimes when things are new or different kids may slow down a bit and still be thinking on the court instead of simply reacting, let's hang in there, I think the girls are getting better, they shot the 3 better tuesday and the turnovers are now where they should be, things are getting there. By conference time I am confident they will be running on all cylinders.

:angry:

Thanks for the info on picking up the coaches show.

I think changes and growing pains are getting a bit confused with a lack of effort, sometimes when things are new or different kids may slow down a bit and still be thinking on the court instead of simply reacting, let's hang in there, I think the girls are getting better, they shot the 3 better tuesday and the turnovers are now where they should be, things are getting there. By conference time I am confident they will be running on all cylinders.

;) DITTO!!!

I would think that shows lack of respect for the head coach and program. How disrespectful to the athletes and to those famlies. The coach that did this only played for three years, why is that?