SiouxSports.com Forum

2006/2007 Women's Basketball

4siouxnow

Just a couple of weeks til practice starts, anyone hear how all the new players are looking, and what are the expectations for the season. My guess is that it may take awhile to get things running the way Coach Roebuck wants, but by the end of the year they should be comparable to last years team. Again it looks to me that depth will be a great asset, the challenge will be who will do most of the ball handling and who is going to step up and help Ashley with the scoring.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a couple of weeks til practice starts, anyone hear how all the new players are looking, and what are the expectations for the season. My guess is that it may take awhile to get things running the way Coach Roebuck wants, but by the end of the year they should be comparable to last years team. Again it looks to me that depth will be a great asset, the challenge will be who will do most of the ball handling and who is going to step up and help Ashley with the scoring.

I haven't seen any of the pickup games, but I hear that the captain's practices have been extremely intense and demanding. It sounds like the work ethic is very good. I'm looking for huge things out of Kimbrough this year. With teams having to collapse on her and Langen inside, it should provide for a ton of open looks by the perimeter players.

I think Bagaason will step up huge this year and be that perimeter shooter. Switch over to defense and opponent's posts are going to have an extremely difficult time getting by Lagen and Ledger. I was extremely impressed with Ledger's defense as a freshman coming out of high school, and I think it's only going to get better if she is healthy. That's not even mentioning Jahner's incredible defensive abilities.

• 2 weeks later...

They don't start practice until Oct. 15. They are looking pretty good but still need to work out some bugs. All of the posts are looking stronger than ever and Beck was lighting it up from three point line - I was very impressed with her. From what I've heard the captain's workouts have been very intense.

Anything scheduled for this weekend as far as a tip-off or hoopfest thing to get practices started that anyone knows anything about. I haven't seen anything, I thought especially with the new era on the men's side there might be something. With practices for several weeks before games get going these things kind of help motivate the kids, and give us basketball junkies a needed fix.

They don't start practice until Oct. 15. They are looking pretty good but still need to work out some bugs. All of the posts are looking stronger than ever and Beck was lighting it up from three point line - I was very impressed with her. From what I've heard the captain's workouts have been very intense.

Have you seen the men work out? If so, how do they look?

• 2 weeks later...
Here we are two days away from playing two of the most tradition rich basketball programs in the country and the media is silent. Does anybody know were playing Indiana and Purdue this weekend. Where is the media on this. Television, radio and especially the newspaper should be ashamed. You would think there would be a little hype leading up to this. I do realize they are exhibition games but what the heck. In fact both teams start there seasons this week and you almost would never know it. It's sad.

I have to agree...the women are ranked #1 in the nation in at least one poll, and I haven't heard a thing about their tournament either. As both teams are set to travel...I wish them both great success this weekend. I am assuming the Women's games (and Men's) will be on the radio??? Does anyone know for sure?? Any updates from those attending would be greatly appreciated. I am excited to see how this team will gel and whom the starters will be. Good luck and GO SIOUX!!

I saw the women play at the Disney Tourney last night. A lot of talent but we didn't play too well. Of course, it is still early and Langen's absence didn't help. Hopefully, her ankle will heal quickly. She was on crutches but seemed to be putting weight on her foot. Maffin played very well and I was impressed with Seay - cool and collected for a freshman.

:blush: Is it just me or is anyone else out there wondering why they put the men's basketball team and the Vikings (both who lost) on the front page of the Grand Forks Herald and the women's success is buried on page 3? Repeat champions and without Ashley Langen should have been worthy of more press....

Looks like the women's game with Moorhead at the end of the month should be interesting. Moorhead stuck it to NDSU pretty good last night at NDSU. The women's team is sure going to be fun to watch this year.

Maybe Moorhead isn't that good, Bemidji also beat the Mighty Bison Saturday night. Ouch!! :blush:

Karla Nelson does a nice job at Moorhead. She's a UND grad, and it's good to see her do well.

I agree, she's very underappreciated. I'm excited to drive up to GF to watch the UND Dragon game. Atleast we know the Sioux Dragon game should be a great one, unlike the Bison game.