SiouxSports.com Forum

USD and Augustana to DI highly likely

star2city

Looks like USD is a lock for DI and DI-AA. I think they'll align with UND like SDSU did with NDSU. Ideally, all 4 would be in the same conference but I could easily see a scenario where NSDU/SDSU and UND/USD are in 2 difference conferences.

Augi, who knows. They either stay where they are or they drop football and become a Creighton of Sioux Falls.

Didn't realize that SD public schools can't raise student fees for athletics.

ND can, right?

Is it possible that USD could raise student fees for a general purpose fund or something like that and use that fund for athletics?

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could see Augie doing DI-AA FB like Drake and Alp..., er, I mean Valpo (meaning 0 scholarships).

They could do either for the move to D1. And I think that they probably will. The Sioux Falls market is pretty big and they could become a real attraction for basket ball games. But then again, if they are not going to have schollie football at D1, they could just as well stay at D2 and play folow North and South Dakota teams because the D2 basketball seen is still pretty good, it seems to me.

I''ve always thought of this more as a message board than a chat board. :)

Man, I thought it was a sports board dedicated for the most part to the Fighting Sioux. I had no idea that it really was a board for high school English teachers to come and practice their critiquing skills. Well you better break out the big box of red markers for me. :lol:;)

From that article, this quote is key and is a fundamental reason why bison fans don't understand UND's DI move.

He (Fellingham - representing Inter-Collegiate Athletic Consulting) also said that USD should be "90 to 95" percent sure that a conference affiliation is awaiting them before making the move.

Again, IMHO UND has a 90 to 95 % assurance that it does have a bid. It cannot be officially revealed at this time, but it is coming. UC-Davis, C Arkansas, Winston-Salem St, Kennesaw St, North Florida all have taken similar approaches.

To Bison fans, a school just declares that you are moving to DI and hope that you are "lucky". IPFW, Savannah State, Utah Valley, New Jersey Inst of Tech, Longwood, SDSU, and NDSU all took this approach. Of that list, it is very apparent that NDSU and SDSU are the fortunate ones. If it wasn't for Chicago State dropping out of the MidCOn in the same year that Valpo left - NDSU and SDSU might still be homeless.

I suppose.

I just don't like the idea of non scholarship DI football. I mean, if you want to do something, do it all the way or don't do it.

I'd rather see them put their focus on basketball.

Agreed. Either fund I-AA football and do it right or dump football and focus on Men's and Women's Basketball, which small schools can be successful in if they hire the right coach and use their resources wisely.

If it wasn't for Chicago State dropping out of the MidCOn in the same year that Valpo left - NDSU and SDSU might still be homeless.

Very true. Had this not happened, do you still think UND/USD would have a 90-95% chance at a conference home after they are officially DI with the SU's in the mix?

The Mid-Con and Gateway have been open and straight forward about their intentions. If a conference was going to offer a school membership, do you really think there would be secret meetings and no public information? My $0.02- I hope there's some movement in the Mid Con in the next few years because 4 Dakota schools would make a solid core.

Very true. Had this not happened, do you still think UND/USD would have a 90-95% chance at a conference home after they are officially DI with the SU's in the mix?

The Mid-Con and Gateway have been open and straight forward about their intentions. If a conference was going to offer a school membership, do you really think there would be secret meetings and no public information? My $0.02- I hope there's some movement in the Mid Con in the next few years because 4 Dakota schools would make a solid core.

Didn't the invitation from the Horizon to Valpo come out of nowhere?

You obviously don't come here much. It's actually a forum for amateur forensic accountant enthusiasts to debate UND's athletic budget.

At least UND has a budget, according to SDSU fans USD doesn't have a real athletic budget. I guess we just pool together our pocket change to pay the bus driver before we go to road games.

Why have I heard two completely different stories regarding proposed conferences for our grand institutions. The SU's fans are adiment that the MidCon is closed for expansion, yet I hear other news from that conference that further expansion into the Dakotas interests them. Wonder what that is all about?

Agreed. Either fund I-AA football and do it right or dump football and focus on Men's and Women's Basketball, which small schools can be successful in if they hire the right coach and use their resources wisely.

I said I could see it; I didn't say I liked the approach. ;)

The SU's fans are adiment that the MidCon is closed for expansion, yet I hear other news from that conference that further expansion into the Dakotas interests them. Wonder what that is all about?

I don't see it to be any stretch of the imagination that the Mid Con would consider going from 10 to 12 when the 2 added members are right next to 2 existing members.

At least UND has a budget, according to SDSU fans USD doesn't have a real athletic budget. I guess we just pool together our pocket change to pay the bus driver before we go to road games.

Why have I heard two completely different stories regarding proposed conferences for our grand institutions. The SU's fans are adiment that the MidCon is closed for expansion, yet I hear other news from that conference that further expansion into the Dakotas interests them. Wonder what that is all about?

The conference said that? Or fans on message boards said that? Here's something to look at, see if you can find the common link between these:

Missouri Valley (bball only): 10 members

Horizon (bball only): 10 members

Mid-cont (bball only): 10 members

WCC: (bball only): 8 members

Big Sky: Wants Denver to put it at 10 for basketball, 9 for football.

Its pretty weird that everybody on these boards thinks that 12 is the logical number, and yet no mid-major league is interested in getting to that. I think you need to remember that the mid-con was recently at 9 members and they showed absolutely no interest in the XDSU's. They had to lose 2 members, and they recently added 3 to go back to 10, even though they could have added a texas school (which would have been much better insurance against a school leaving than either USD or UND) to put them closer to that "magical 12" that everybody assumes they needed.

I really think that Douple was thinking about adding the UXD's in order to try to get a mid-con football conference going, but with the other Dakota schools leaving, that idea is dead in the water, and so is UND and USD's best card for getting into an all sports conference.

Seems USD's budget is nearly $3M less than SDSU and getting larger every year. Maybe that is why SDSU fans don't think you have a real budget. UND going DI is one thing. USD is a joke with no hope.