SiouxSports.com Forum

Is there a smack double-standard?

Bison Dan

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I imagine it's hard for ndsu to keep enough tickets printed when they're selling them 5 for a $1 at the local Stop & Go (i.e.- Valparaiso in you D-I opener)

And despite all those tickets sold, the Cowdome is still deader than a popcorn fart for the games.

It is not too tough to see who started the smack on this thread.

and it's equally easy to see that three sioux fans contributed to it.

however, you didn't bring that up. instead you state that bison fans should leave, including me, when my role was no different than dlsiouxfan, diggler, or siouxfb.

it also ignores the issue that Bison Dan's comment was quite funny and shouldn't have been unexpected given the topic of the thread.

it also ignores the issue that Bison Dan's comment was quite funny and shouldn't have been unexpected given the topic of the thread.

Bison Dan's comment had nothing to do with what was being discussed, and neither did yours. Just because you both succeeded in provoking Sioux fans doesn't absolve either of you from engaging in and encouraging smack talk.

I disagree. I expect Sioux fans to be able to have a discussion on a UND message board about when season tickets will arrive without having to endure irrelevant attendance smack from Bison fans who are only here to try to "stir the pot".

This is a SIOUX sports forum. On this forum there is going to be 'bad' talk re our rivals. If the only reason that a non-Sioux sports fan member comes to this forum is to post smack, I vote that they be banned. I give it out as much as anyone to those non-Sioux fans; ON THIS FORUM. I don't go to any other forum for the sole purpose of posting smack. If I did, I would expect to be banned after the first post.

There are many non-Sioux fans who bring good information be it pro- or con-. Then there are those whose only reason for logging on to SS.com is to post smack. Kick 'em out, ban them, off with their heads... they will not be missed.

As far as the tickets go, Siouxmama posted in the hockey season ticket thread that they will be mailed out Sept. 7th; both hockey and football. They can also be picked up at the REA September 5th and 6th.

QUOTE(PCM @ Aug 24 2006, 10:16 AM) *

Bison Dan's comment had nothing to do with what was being discussed, and neither did yours.

really it didn't?

the topic was about how season tickets had not been sent out. he pointed out that it shouldn't take long.

touching on both the general topic, tickets, and the more specific issue, timeliness.

my post, was pure smack, although related to the smack at hand. the issue at the time was ticket pricing/distribution, I step back and made smack based on the larger issue, athletic department finances.

Just because you both succeeded in provoking Sioux fans doesn't absolve either of you from engaging in and encouraging smack talk.

When did I post anything like that?

This is a SIOUX sports forum. On this forum there is going to be 'bad' talk re our rivals. If the only reason that a non-Sioux sports fan member comes to this forum is to post smack, I vote that they be banned. I give it out as much as anyone to those non-Sioux fans; ON THIS FORUM. I don't go to any other forum for the sole purpose of posting smack. If I did, I would expect to be banned after the first post.

I agree completely.

I think there needs to be some room for criticism and levity.

Unfortunately, I don't think that many posters can handle it (including myself earlier today).

A little repartee is fine, but it seems like perfectly mundane threads, like the season ticket thread, get hijacked and ruined.

That being said, I think that Jim does an excellent job moderating; including his prompt removal of the banter from the season ticket thread.

I disagree. I expect Sioux fans to be able to have a discussion on a UND message board about when season tickets will arrive without having to endure irrelevant attendance smack from Bison fans who are only here to try to "stir the pot".

In my recollection, Bison Dan only comes to stir the pot.

At the same time, in my opinion, that joke was begging to be made. I also thought that the comments by others were also quite witty.

All were out of place.

I agree completely.

I think there needs to be some room for criticism and levity.

Unfortunately, I don't think that many posters can handle it (including myself earlier today).

A little repartee is fine, but it seems like perfectly mundane threads, like the season ticket thread, get hijacked and ruined.

That being said, I think that Jim does an excellent job moderating; including his prompt removal of the banter from the season ticket thread.

So the question is, IowaBison, how should we take BisonDan's posts? I mean, sure, his post was about season tickets, but it was also smack. I don't recall a single BisonDan post that didn't involve putting UND down. So, where does that stand?

Is it ok to come to SS.com with the sole purpose of smack talking UND fans provided that there is something in the post that connects the smack talk to the topic of the thread?

I guess, to me, smack talk is only relevant if it is between fans of two teams who are, in the coming 1-2 weeks, about to face off in some sporting event. Not every topic needs smack talk.

Sure, you've smack talked in the past, I have too, but I really think that if there is nothing constructive to add to a conversation, then perhaps it shouldn't be added?

really it didn't?

the topic was about how season tickets had not been sent out. he pointed out that it shouldn't take long.

touching on both the general topic, tickets, and the more specific issue, timeliness.

I'm sorry. I keep forgetting how much you enjoy playing semantics games. Allow me to rephrase.

Bison Dan's post added nothing to the topic being discussed because he had no knowledge that would enable him to answer the question asked. Rather than staying out of the discussion because he had nothing of substance to offer, he chose instead to post something useless that was clearly intended to provoke Sioux fans.

When did I post anything like that?
Somebody pm when UND's athletic department runs in the black, assuming the internet isn't obsolete by then.

Exactly what type of response from Sioux fans did you expect to get with that comment which, like Bison Dan's, did nothing to help answer the question and was posted to further provoke Sioux fans?

Is it ok to come to SS.com with the sole purpose of smack talking UND fans provided that there is something in the post that connects the smack talk to the topic of the thread?

In my opinion, no. The call is the moderator's.

Not every topic needs smack talk.

most don't. but think that witty remarks add to the conversation, especially among sports fans. i enjoy the give and take-however one can certainly go too far.

Sure, you've smack talked in the past, I have too, but I really think that if there is nothing constructive to add to a conversation, then perhaps it shouldn't be added?

I agree-depending on the tone of the board. Here on ss.com, I agree completely. For other communities, the atmosphere is different.

I should add that I had pondered posting the same joke as Bison Dan for a while, but deferred as the was serious. Unfortunately, when the thread had taken a turn toward Smackville, I added some gas.

And the original (missing part)

Just because you both succeeded in provoking Sioux fans doesn't absolve either of you from engaging in and encouraging smack talk.

/////

I never stated that my smack succeeding (which it didn't do as the thread promptly changed to one about smacking standards) made it permissible.

You asserted that I did in your original post. I disagreed and still do.

I never stated that my post wasn't smack. Actually, I've posted the contrary repeatedly. I've also admitted that it was a comment that shouldn't have been made.

Exactly what type of response from Sioux fans did you expect to get with that comment which, like Bison Dan's, did nothing to help answer the question and was posted to further provoke Sioux fans?

And exactly what type of response did diggler, dlsiouxfan, and siouxfb expect? (A little double standard there, eh PCM? :silly: . And what kind of contribution was your punctuation comment to Bison Dan yesterday? hmmmmm?)

I'll admit that is was misplaced, but the exchanges were humorous, in my opinion.