SiouxSports.com Forum

Fullerton Still Talking Big Sky Expansion

star2city

Kupchella has been hesitant to do it and it shows ...

Question:

Has anyone seen Kupchella in a bouncy-giddy-rah-rah mode ever (as some seem to believe is a requirement for a DI move)?

The man redefines 'stoic'. Even his 'outraged' responses to the NCAA were made in a well-written, thoughtful, measured manner (a letter).

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question:

Has anyone seen Kupchella in a bouncy-giddy-rah-rah mode ever (as some seem to believe is a requirement for a DI move)?

The man redefines 'stoic'. Even his 'outraged' responses to the NCAA were made in a well-written, thoughtful, measured manner (a letter).

I agree and felt the same way until I saw his words in print.

Aside from (a) hiring a consultant and not following their recommendations v. doing an internal study, and (b) four years of clock time, how are the two paths (UND compared to NDSU) different?

Along with having an administration that was proactive and positive rather than just reacting, there's strength in numbers. NDSU tried getting the support of the NCC and ended up with only SDSU. They also had conversations and advisors with UNC and UC Davis going through the transition. Had UND leaders had the vision at the time to see what was going to happen (as they have now) they'd have gone at the same time. Instead they're going it alone and after debating for the last 3 years and hoping South Dakota will come along too.

As far as the not following the consultant's recommendation argument, haven't you guys beat that one enough? Do you still think a far away DI conference is going to want to add a DII school in North Dakota? The consultant was wrong. I think Mr. Buning would agree.

Along with having an administration that was proactive and positive rather than just reacting, there's strength in numbers. NDSU tried getting the support of the NCC and ended up with only SDSU. They also had conversations and advisors with UNC and UC Davis going through the transition. Had UND leaders had the vision at the time to see what was going to happen (as they have now) they'd have gone at the same time. Instead they're going it alone and after debating for the last 3 years and hoping South Dakota will come along too.

As far as the not following the consultant's recommendation argument, haven't you guys beat that one enough? Do you still think a far away DI conference is going to want to add a DII school in North Dakota? The consultant was wrong. I think Mr. Buning would agree.

Yes we do know that a consultant's recommendation regarding a conference would have been unrealistic and that's why we're smart enough not to waste money having them tell us the same things they told ndsu.

90% were followed?

Mom I only told a 10% lie. You can't follow 90% of something when it says "Do NOT move to Division I without a conference."

NDSU knew it was going to move regardless of what the CARR report said, and it showed. UND was smarter (no surprise there) and saved the money, because they knew they were going to move no matter what a report said. They look nice on paper that's about it.

UND was smarter (no surprise there).....

I'll take your word for it ???

and saved the money

that's debatable. although it may not seem that way, a number of UND officials spent time and effort assembling the report.

???

and UND still ignored the report's results!

90% were followed?

The report had 4 things to do before a move, and if they all weren't complete the report recommended staying in their current division. So at best NDSU would get a 75%, of which half are subjective. I'll make it easy on you. That means it can be different in everybodys mind and can't be proven with facts. I can prove that NDSU didn't have a D1 conference lined up when they moved, but I, nor you, can prove or disprove, NDSU "Established an institutional consensus......"

Yes we do know that a consultant's recommendation regarding a conference would have been unrealistic and that's why we're smart enough not to waste money having them tell us the same things they told ndsu.

Well it's about time they figured it out. In another 2 years, you'll have the road map for the whole process ???

Mom I only told a 10% lie. You can't follow 90% of something when it says "Do NOT move to Division I without a conference."

NDSU knew it was going to move regardless of what the CARR report said, and it showed. UND was smarter (no surprise there) and saved the money, because they knew they were going to move no matter what a report said. They look nice on paper that's about it.

??????;)

Have there not been many discussions on here before about Fullerton previously visiting UND, touring our facilities and talking to the administration what it would take to move to DI? I seem to remember a couple threads about Fullerton sightings in the REA. This is an honest question, I didn't just dream this up, did I? And you mean to tell me that you don't think UND has the capabilities to pick up a phone and call UNC or UC Davis also? Or any other DI school for that matter. I'd be very disappointed to find out that the administration hasn't been on the phone non-stop with some of these other schools, including talking to NDSU and SDSU.

As far as having a partner, at what point did it become a requirement for schools to move up in pairs? And most people at this point are beginning to believe that USD will be making a move shortly behind UND, if not with UND.

that's debatable. although it may not seem that way, a number of UND officials spent time and effort assembling the report.

???

and UND still ignored the report's results!

It was a fact finding report that gave no recommendations. President Kupchella made the decision upon reading it.

I read that report, and I didn't see the page where the results said: "UND should remain in Division II".

You must have gotten a different copy.

It was a fact finding report that gave no recommendations. President Kupchella made the decision upon reading it.

I read that report, and I didn't see the page where the results said: "UND should remain in Division II".

You must have gotten a different copy.

Did you really think that "how great we are report" would have any constructive details in it? ???

Why in the hell do we continue to debate this? It is all history. Right or wrong, NDSU had the balls to make the move a couple of years ago. Now UND has announced they will move to DI.

Let's talk about sports!!!!!

I agree.....I am looking forward to some great competition!!

Why in the hell do we continue to debate this? It is all history. Right or wrong, NDSU had the balls to make the move a couple of years ago. Now UND has announced they will move to DI.

Let's talk about sports!!!!!

Precisely!!

Both teams should be DI. Now they will be - end of story.

Nah...what fun would it be to argue about sports when you can pretend to be a forensic accountant and argue about which school is in better financial shape.

It's almost as much fun as pretending to read the minds of Kupchella, Buning, Harmeson, Lennon, et al. fortuneteller.gif

Nah...what fun would it be to argue about sports when you can pretend to be a forensic accountant and argue about which school is in better financial shape.

True...and no offense meant to any forensic accountants, but I can think of a few more things to do with my day than to sit around and pretend to be a forensic accountant.