SiouxSports.com Forum

Potts Resigns

SiouxMD

Mid-June 2006:

In a telephone interview, Chapman said he was "perplexed" and "totally caught off guard" by Potts' remarks.

In a most amazing turn, he seemed rather unperplexed and quite on guard (save some "selective memory" © IowaBison) when it came to talking to the State Attorney General.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here now, the news.

The opinion says Chapman conceded asking for more pay and improvements to the president's residence, but said he had not demanded Potts' removal.

David Wahlberg, an NDSU spokesman, said Friday that Chapman did not demand anything, and that no renovations are planned for the president's home. Members of NDSU's development foundation had asked Chapman what it would take to keep him in Fargo, Wahlberg said.

So the key word here is 'demand'? Chapman conceded asking for more pay and improvements but he did not 'demand' them. Geeze, these guys (ALL of them including the SBoHE members) sure know how to use the English language to their advantage, don't they!?

I'm going to be pretty interested in who gets hired as the new chancellor. This is probably the worst thing that could happen to the NDUS.

It's certainly not helpful. John Andrist's letter to the editor lays it on the line quite well.

It also seemed like several of the Board members were backpedaling from statements. They all seemed to know what to say so as to avoid violating the law. It seems clear that members were meeting separate with the expressed purpose of circumventing the law. Several members seemed unhappy with Potts, a plan forms seemingly out of thin air to boot him, yet nobody actually talked to each other.

This is the kind of thing that makes North Dakota look like a backwater hick state and deservedly so. The constant need to get rid of people who "aren't from around here" and failure to accept new ideas is strangling the state.

I'd like to see the media investigate this further, but I'm sure the chances of that are slim and none.

The AG has said they didn't meet in violation, so your saying now that the AG is in cahoots with the board to circumvent the law? Thats a joke. Maybe the truth lies in the so called equitable funding formula the board and Potts had been pushing and now its being brought into the spotlight and Potts and now some vocal UND supporters are clamoring for cover becuase they are afraid UND might actually get what it deserves which is less then the current formula calls for and that NDSU may get more?

So the key word here is 'demand'? Chapman conceded asking for more pay and improvements but he did not 'demand' them. Geeze, these guys (ALL of them including the SBoHE members) sure know how to use the English language to their advantage, don't they!?

You can track the manipulation of the english language back a long way. Look at Clinton and the definition of the word is, is. Look at the worst violators of the manipulation of the english language (Attorneys) something UND is very good at producing!

You can track the manipulation of the english language back a long way. Look at Clinton and the definition of the word is, is. Look at the worst violators of the manipulation of the english language (Attorneys) something UND is very good at producing!

Let's stick to the subject shall we? Chapman's dancing aroung the truth with his selection of specific words and phrases and his early dementia (not Alzheimers', then he's a liar!!). The only positive thing I saw in the AG's report was that Chapman and Co. did not come straight out and call Dr. Thigpen a liar!

The AG has said they didn't meet in violation, so your saying now that the AG is in cahoots with the board to circumvent the law?

Did you read nodakvindy's post and comprehend what he wrote? The SBoHE members know the rules and know how not break them yet still get their mission accomplished. The AG doesn't have to be in cahoots with them to determine that they were successful in not breaking the rules. The fact that Wayne's report is as complete as it is tells me he also knows that something stinks in Fargo but because the law as written was not broken his office can only render the opinion that the rules were not broken.

Let's stick to the subject shall we? Chapman's dancing aroung the truth with his selection of specific words and phrases and his early dementia (not Alzheimers', then he's a liar!!). The only positive thing I saw in the AG's report was that Chapman and Co. did not come straight out and call Dr. Thigpen a liar!

When presented with the facts and they don't agree with your version of the truth you call them liars or whatever but the fact is there was no rules violations and that just burns you up. Again these are the facts and I'm sticking to them.

Geez, with a name like sioux-CIA one would think you could get the facts straight.

When presented with the facts and they don't agree with your version of the truth you call them liars or whatever but the fact is there was no rules violations and that just burns you up. Again these are the facts and I'm sticking to them.

Are we to believe what Dr. Chapman told the Attorney General or what he's now telling the media. When was he lying; then or now? Without bringing Clinton into the conversation, please, what are your facts?

http://www.ag.nd.gov/documents/2006-O-11.pdf

This office interviewed Dr. Chapman and asked him specifically whether he made those demands. Dr. Chapman admitted he made the first two, but denied making the third.
During my interview with Dr. Chapman, I repeatedly asked him about this elaborate plan to force Chancellor Potts to resign. Dr. Chapman claimed he could not remember the conversation,but he did not say that Dr. Thigpen's account was inaccurate.....Dr. Thigpen confirmed her recollection of the conversation with Dr. Chapman.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/n...te/14989410.htm

David Wahlberg, an NDSU spokesman, said Friday that Chapman did not demand anything, and that no renovations are planned for the president's home. Members of NDSU's development foundation had asked Chapman what it would take to keep him in Fargo, Wahlberg said.
[url="http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=132374 Edited by Sioux-cia

Geez, with a name like sioux-CIA one would think you could get the facts straight.

See, there you go again, getting the facts wrong and/or totally overlooking them. The name is Sioux-cia, not sioux-CIA. Sioux-cia is pronounced the same as the Spanish word sucia. Sucia means 'dirty girl'.

OK DI, now you have the correct facts regarding my name.

To me, the whole thing seems like yet another layer of bureaucracy that should be eliminated. What a waste of taxpayer money.

Your right. If a Chancellor is hired for a specific purpose and he is not given the authority to perform his job as hired, why bother. :D

Are we to believe what Dr. Chapman told the Attorney General or what he's now telling the media. When was he lying; then or now? Without bringing Clinton into the conversation, please, what are your facts?

http://www.ag.nd.gov/documents/2006-O-11.pdf

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/n...te/14989410.htm

[url="http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=132374

Fargo Forum - Vague details hard to believe

Stenehjem's opinion provides a glimpse of a board that is a conduit for political intrigue, instead of a shield against it.

The Potts imbroglio raises the question: Why does the board need to exist at all?

Potts' successor may wonder if, in the end, statements by board members, university administrators and legislators about North Dakota's unified system of 11 public colleges can be taken at face value.

The Potts controversy starkly demonstrates that there's nothing to stop a power display by an influential president of NDSU or the University of North Dakota.

Indeed, the governor and the Board of Higher Education may tacitly encourage it.

State Sen. Joel Heitkamp, D-Hankinson, said he believes the handling of the Potts dispute has damaged the university system’s reputation and said it will make it difficult to recruit a qualified successor.

Gee, you think?

On a somewhat related topic I was told by someone who knows that Kuppy is respected by the State Board and Potts. They trust him and when he says something, they know he is telling the truth. Not everyone on the Board likes him however.

They said the opposite is true about Chapman. He is self centered and self serving and will mistate the facts in order to get whatever he wants. He will screw and other schools including UND and doesn't see any point in helping the other schools out. The other presidents don't care for him because he is trying to dissociate the AC from the other Universities. Chapman frequently skips meetings and sends one of his subordinates instead. He remains aloof from the other presidents. At one of the meetings in Bottineau he flew at state expense to Bottineau for the late afternoon portion of a two day meeting, then rather than stay overnight in the "hick town" he flew back to Fargo for the night. He flew back to Bottineau in the AM for the rest of the meeting. Taxpayers picked up the tab. He uses John Q. Paulsen as his boy and Paulsen (who at times, as a supposed neutral board member refers to NDSU as "we" when discussing issues) does Chapman's bidding. I doubt the Fargo Forum would ever do a story on Chapman's relationship with the other Universities or his use of state funds.

The above quote, while not from this thread, seems especially prescient now. What is sorry is that John Q. Paulsen will now preside over the NDUS board.

What is truly sad is that so many individuals and institutions in this state, including the NDUS board, the Fargo Forum (as much as I can't stand Jacobs' logic sometimes, at least Jacobs isn't vindictive ), most NDSU backers, and Hoeven have chosen to embrace style over substance and pretense over truthfulness.

A true test of leadership will be if the leader leaves a legacy. Potts has left principles to aspire to. Basic spiritual principles would confidently predict that Chapman's legacy, unless his character miraculously changes soon, will cause anquish for the state and NDSU.

Ok, so everyone (except Chapman supporters) know there's a BIG problem in the NDUS and the SBoHE. Can anything be done to fix it? I don't see how. The new President of the Board, the Governor of the Great State of North Dakota and at least one other member of the Board are all kissing Chapman's a$$. Is this corruption something we are stuck with!?!?

Ok, so everyone (except Chapman supporters) know there's a BIG problem in the NDUS and the SBoHE. Can anything be done to fix it? I don't see how. The new President of the Board, the Governor of the Great State of North Dakota and at least one other member of the Board are all kissing Chapman's a$$. Is this corruption something we are stuck with!?!?

Your jealously of Dr. Chapman is profound. The big problem is UND and what they and their supportors will do to keep the funding of NDUS the same. Protecting their own turf at the expense of the rest of the NDUS is all gf and UND are after, not the betterment of the NDUS.

Your jealously of Dr. Chapman is profound. The big problem is UND and what they and their supportors will do to keep the funding of NDUS the same. Protecting their own turf at the expense of the rest of the NDUS is all gf and UND are after, not the betterment of the NDUS.

So, through all that has gone on the past few months with Potts, Chapman, the SBoHE and the governor, the only thing that you can come up with is that UND is jealous of Chapman. Amazing.