SiouxSports.com Forum

"Illinois" In your face NCAA

terbele

Thanks for the link. Here's what I thought was the most interesting part of the story:

But Guenther told the Herald & Review that he expects the NCAA to eventually increase its penalties for schools that don't comply.

"The next step, I believe, will be for them to say, `Hey, your basketball team cannot qualify. Your basketball team cannot play in the NCAA tournament,'" he said. "I already know they have suggested that's what they'd like the (football) BCS to do. Fortunately, the BCS is not ruled by the NCAA.

"But they could do it in basketball. I don't think it will stop with penalizing the Olympic sports by not letting them host."

Does everyone realize that under this new NCAA (warm jell-o) stance that United Center in Chicago can not bid on hosting NCAA (hockey, hoop) events because the NHL's Chicago Blackhawks logo is all over that building?

I'd guess FedEx Field is in the same situation (home of NFL's Washington Redskins) if they ever wanted to bid on hosting soccer or lacrosse tournaments.

I wonder if the management groups of those facilities have "asked" Myles Brand about this yet.

Does everyone realize that under this new NCAA (warm jell-o) stance that United Center in Chicago can not bid on hosting NCAA (hockey, hoop) events because the NHL's Chicago Blackhawks logo is all over that building?

I'd guess FedEx Field is in the same situation (home of NFL's Washington Redskins) if they ever wanted to bid on hosting soccer or lacrosse tournaments.

I wonder if the management groups of those facilities have "asked" Myles Brand about this yet.

Haven't there been college games played at Arrowhead in the past? The name of the stadium alone should send the NCAA into a tizzie.

I did not realize this. The Big Ten basketball tournament was recently awarded to Indianapolis (over Chicago) when it looked as though Chicago (and the United Center) would easily win the bid. Although not an "NCAA" event, I wonder if the NCAA's decision had an impact there. It would be interesting to know.

Another blog regarding nickname issue.

The first blog references a second blog page, which was written about the Sioux last week. Kupchella has become a hero to some.

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/?p=2204

U of I has yet to make a formal response to the NCAA along the lines of UND President and EDSBS hero Charles Kupchella

Is it just me, or does it seem that the U of I might just be waiting to see what damage Kupchella does to the NCAA before they decide to put any money into the issue?

It's just you. :sad:;)

Here is the original article:

http://www.herald-review.com/articles/2006...ini/1016051.txt

Mark Tupper writes for the Decatur Herald and Review. He is a veteran of the Illini beat; he's covered Illinois sports for at least 10-15 years. Decatur is less than 50 miles from Champaign, and is probably the biggest population center within that 50 mile radius.

A few notes: Illinois has already had one team penalized because of Chief. Believe it or not, our men's tennis team is very successful, and would have hosted the first round of the NCAA tourney. Because of Chief they were forced to travel to Louisville, KY. I believe we were the only team ranked in the top sixteen who did not host. I'm happy to report that our team won despite being on the road, and we went on to Stanford the next week and acquited ourselves well before bowing out to a stronger team.

Yes, the Big Ten Tourney has been awarded to Indianapolis. One of the biggest reasons this has happened is a cash payment from Indy. Technically, its to make up for the lower capacity of Indy's arena vs. the United Center, but its hard to turn down cash in hand. Another big reason is the location of Indy's arena-it is right downtown, and there are several hotels within walking distance. This makes it easy to assign "official" hotels to each team, fostering some camaradarie I guess. IMHO, its doubtful that the large Blackhawks symbols carved into the building (and IIRC, the large sculpture directly across the street) had anything to do with the decision of the Big Ten AD's and Presidents to give the tourney to Indy for five years.

I seriously wonder what's up with our Board of Trustees. IMHO the lawsuit is the only way to go. Our BOT seems to be sitting around, waiting for things to happen to them. I loved the reaction of Florida State-they went on the offensive from Day One. I wish we had don the same.

BTW, I noticed that one of your Hockey players was the first-round choice of the Hawks. FYI, he'll be putting on what's known as the "Indian head sweater".

Actually, 1st and 2nd round games for the 2007 D-I tournament are being held at the United Center.

http://bigten.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spe.../032406aab.html

BTW, I noticed that one of your Hockey players was the first-round choice of the Hawks. FYI, he'll be putting on what's known as the "Indian head sweater".

Our hockey team used to wear that same Indian head on our jerseys. Towes will be joining Bochenski another of 'our boys' as a 'Hawk.

Actually, 1st and 2nd round games for the 2007 D-I tournament are being held at the United Center.

http://bigten.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spe.../032406aab.html

I may be wrong but since the United Center/Blackhawks are not members of the NC$$, the display of the Indian logo by the Blackhawks will not be a problem. The NC$$ does not have a problem with the name Pontiac and its Indian feather logo and does not consider them hostile or abusive. That can only be because GM is not a member of the NC$$.